Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
JWho

Default What Would Be the Standard Practice in This Situation? - 1

Some friendly member of this newsgroup suggested that I seek out help on
what the standard practice would be in situations, so I am making a new
post, with some clear pictures I took in my garage. Hopefully, this will
properly address the issue.

This is a motorcycle steering/suspension related question. This is the
original "upper triple clamp" hereafter referred to as "clamp":

http://jasonwho.home.mchsi.com/origi...nsionclamp.jpg

There is a steel "steering stem" that passes through the hole in the middle.
That hole's inner diameter is .924". I want to replace that clamp with this
clamp:

http://jasonwho.home.mchsi.com/replacementclamp.jpg

This clamp has a stem hole with an inner diameter of .984". Below is a link
to a picture of the steering stem passing through the new clamp's stem hole.

http://jasonwho.home.mchsi.com/gap.jpg

I hope the picture reveals the amount of distance that is "extra".

In summary, I want to replace the original clamp with a new clamp whose ID
is .060" larger. When the original clamp is placed on the steering stem,
there is a large nut below it holding down a bearing. The clamp will not go
down any further. Above the clamp, there is a washer and nut 25mm ID),
which is tightened to 40 - 50 ft-lbs of torque, preventing it from going
upward. When properly fit, the original clamp and stem have a snug fit, but
it can be rotated on the stem before the top nut is put on. It is not a
press on fit and requires only light hand force to set it down on the stem.
When the new clamp is put on the stem, due to the .060" gap, it rattles
around with play. I am wanting it to fit as the original clamp and stem fit
together.

What would be the standard, accepted procedure to solve this problem.

Thank you very much in advance for your help! I sincerely appreciate it.