Dixon

Default Alloy machining question

I am quoting a job for NASA that requires a triple helical set of holes of
varying pitch and varying diameter to a blind depth. The alloy is
samarium-dysprosium-ytterbium, which normally wouldn't present a problem,
but they increased the dysprosium on this job to 16%, which of course
changes the eutectic structure from face centered to body centered. As you
all know this prohibits the use of fluoroscopy in the process. I am
concerned about the Guinier-Preston zone, which I'm sure you all realize is
the preprecipitation domain in a supersaturated metallic solid solution. I
feel this may result in a pseudobinary system or ternary alloy system.
Should I suggest they use a quasibinary system of linear composition which
would exhibit congruent melting, wherein all equilibriums, at all
temperatures, involve only phases having compositions occurring in the
linear series?

Thank You
Dr. Dixon
Tech. Director
Fermi Laboratory

Ed Huntress

"Dixon" wrote in message
[...]

Acht! Not the DREADED PRECIPITATION DOMAIN!! If you cut into the precipitant
and slice off the vesicles to the domain, that would be the end of life as
we know it! The world would be completely sterilized, and impotent, to boot.

Zis ist a problem that can only be solved in the realm of imaginary numbers,
Herr Doktor. You must rework your equations for quadrature detection.

I remain available to consult for an appropriate fee, as usual. Copious
quantities of deep-dish Chicago pizza will be considered as a deposit.
There's a good place in downtown Aurora, just a few miles from Fermilab.

As always, you can reach me in my lab...but keep your hands to yourself.
Leave a message with Igor if I'm out with one of my subjects.

--
Dr. Sigmoid Fleet, Psychoproctologist to the Stars

Harold and Susan Vordos

"Dixon" wrote in message
[...]

Speaking as a machinist with nothing more than a high school education:
again, please, and in English this time. g

Harold

Misty & Sean Foley

Bash it with a bigger hammer, then file it to size. )

Leo Lichtman

"Dixon" wrote: (clip) wherein all equilibriums, at all temperatures (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
HAH! I caught you. The correct word is "equillibria."

Nick Müller

Dixon wrote:

Should I suggest they use a quasibinary system of linear composition which
would exhibit congruent melting, wherein all equilibriums, at all
temperatures, involve only phases having compositions occurring in the
linear series?

It can be easily proven, that the system described is an over-euthectic
alloy. So all properties described in the quoted sentence just have to
be inverted. Obvious!

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
Gunner Asch

Cast it out of free machining Unobtainum, then do the finish work on a
HF hexapod. Pretty simple job actually. Much easier than telling a
woman that yes..the dress makes her look fat. And far less painful.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Dave Lyon

"Ignoramus13880" wrote in message
On Tue, 8 Nov 2005 00:18:19 -0500, Dixon wrote:
[...]

try making it from cardboard and duct tape, it will be lighter...

That would work, but whatever you do, don't add electricity to it and give
it to your kid!

mj

I want to help tillman build an electric ray gun out of a tv set too.
MJ

spaco

A request similar to this one came my way one day at 3M some years ago.
Trouble was, it was for real.

All I can say(all in one breath) is:

Its all right to enunciate with meticulous exactitude, but please don't
become inebriated with the exuberance or your own verbosity for it's too
copious for my diminutive comprehension.

Pete Stanaitis
------------------------

Dixon wrote:
[...]

Leo Lichtman

"spaco" wrote: (clip) Its all right to enunciate with meticulous
exactitude, but please don't become inebriated with the exuberance or your
own verbosity for it's too copious for my diminutive comprehension.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Eschew obfuscatory polysyllabification.

jim rozen

In article , Ed Huntress says...

Zis ist a problem that can only be solved in the realm of imaginary numbers,
Herr Doktor.

Like forty-twelve. And eleventeen!

As always, you can reach me in my lab...but keep your hands to yourself.
Leave a message with Igor if I'm out with one of my subjects.

There's actually a really, reallllly funny story that goes
along with that comment.

Dr. Sigmoid Fleet, Psychoproctologist to the Stars

I think we're in a very strange zone here.... and it ain't eutectic!

Jim

please reply to:
jim rozen

In article , Dixon says...

Should I suggest they use a quasibinary system of linear composition

No. I can't believe you'd make such an childish error.

Besides, no matter what you suggest, they won't listen.

They can't even figure out when O-rings freeze. Get real.

Jim

please reply to:

Ed Huntress

"jim rozen" wrote in message

As always, you can reach me in my lab...but keep your hands to yourself.
Leave a message with Igor if I'm out with one of my subjects.

There's actually a really, reallllly funny story that goes
along with that comment.

Well, what are you going to do, make us beg?

--
Ed Huntress

jim rozen

In article , Ed Huntress says...

Leave a message with Igor if I'm out with one of my subjects.

There's actually a really, reallllly funny story that goes
along with that comment.

Well, what are you going to do, make us beg?

Heh.

Well, I work with a very pleasant individual who is quite the oddity
among engineers. Very social and interacts with lots of other
folks here at work. Our group has been running so much smoother
since he's been in it it's amazing. Basically male engineers are
clueless for social issues and he's kind of raised our conciousness.

All this to give a background for the guy.

Anyhow he worked in the building long before he was with us.

He related this story which has become pretty famous here.

There's another engineer who has a back deformity of some sort.
But our guy (we'll call him "G") had reason to interact with the
that other engineer (call him "A"). They saw each other fairly
infrequently because their functions on the project they were on
didn't share much in common. But G always made sure to say hi
to A because G was just a social kind of guy.

Then one day G was talking to another person about a technical
problem and G made the comment "I know just the person to talk
to about that, he knows all about it. Go talk to Igor."

"Who?"

"Igor - there he is over there, don't you know Igor?"

"That's "A." His name is "A."

"No, so-and-so told me that guy's name is Igor. I've been
calling him Igor for the past year!"

"Nope. That's "A."

So G had been calling this guy Igor for almost a year. And A
was such a quiet guy he never said anything about it.

G was mortified. Everyone else, being male engineers, thought
it was pretty funny overall.

Jim

please reply to:
Ed Huntress

"jim rozen" wrote in message

"No, so-and-so told me that guy's name is Igor. I've been
calling him Igor for the past year!"

"Nope. That's "A."

So G had been calling this guy Igor for almost a year. And A
was such a quiet guy he never said anything about it.

G was mortified. Everyone else, being male engineers, thought
it was pretty funny overall.

Jeez, Jim, that kinda makes me glad I changed my major from engineering...

--
Ed Huntress

Brian Lawson

wrote:

[...]

Hey Dick,

I believe I see where you are going with this. I'm in total agreement
with your thoughts about the amalgam of these substances with these
highly desirable but little known interfeces, and their
idiotsyncrasies. It is truly most unsettling when bodies such as NASA
make unilateral autonomous changes in the well known past practices.
In this case, essentially preventing the use of normal methods for
cleansing the contranal-venting port viz-a-viz best common practice of
Associative Wind Purge (ASS-WIPE) of this residual material. Although
I'm a bit premature in mentioning this while the work is on-going,
recent experiments here in Canada have shown the application of a
Layton jar left in place during the dumping process holds great
promise. But until such times as that process is proven, my advise
would be that you suggest to NASA that casting the material via bowel
re-emplacement, using the recently developed SNiiPS
(shoehor-nitinplace system) would be the best method. Done concurrent
with the proper location of a Hy-lift or Hy-lift JR, both of which
have been recently developed by American Standard, as I'm sure we all
know, either of these will do an excellent job of splatter control.

On a personal note, may I say how refreshing it is to see such
forthright communication from a leading fixture in the science. I
have followed your career since your under-graduate work for your BS,
when you began your thesis on " Para-Inserting Stiff Solids In Noxious
Gasses, Controlling Overtly Natural Tri Ester Supra Torrents" . Fine
work!

Take care, and Good Luck.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
Eric R Snow

wrote:

[...]

Thanks Brian. What a good way to start the day.
Eric
Dixon

wrote:

[...]

I guess it's time to confess. Even though I did take some metallurgy in
college, and worked in two labs where materials were tested, I don't have a
clue what I was asking in my made up question! I have a lot of books on
tech. stuff, and I looked in the glossary and found a treasure of terms to
use. So don't feel bad for not being able to answer my "question". Wouldn't
it be ironic if the real Fermilab was working with the three metals I
mentioned and sent men in black over to find out how I knew about their
project!

Dixon

Brian Lawson

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 15:40:07 -0500, "Dixon"
wrote:
SNIP BIG CRAP

[...]

Ohhhhh....ps.... I forgot to drop in the anagram for your thesis
" Para-Inserting Stiff Solids In Noxious Gasses, Controlling Overtly
Natural Tri Ester Supra Torrents" we've referred to that here as
****ING CONTEST

Have fun.

Brian Lawson,
B'well, Ont.

Mark

wrote:

[...]

You're too late. The bid was supposed to be in on September 31.

Mark

Tricky bearing repacking question ss Metalworking 4 January 27th 05 10:21 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
pics of new mill attachment and machining question Rick Metalworking 12 August 8th 04 07:56 PM
Plumbing Question Jeff UK diy 4 December 1st 03 01:49 PM
Question????? Sir Edgar Woodworking 8 July 20th 03 05:22 PM