Eric R Snow

Default Alloy machining question

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 08:19:20 -0500, Brian Lawson
wrote:

On Tue, 8 Nov 2005 00:18:19 -0500, "Dixon"
wrote:

I am quoting a job for NASA that requires a triple helical set of holes of
varying pitch and varying diameter to a blind depth. The alloy is
samarium-dysprosium-ytterbium, which normally wouldn't present a problem,
but they increased the dysprosium on this job to 16%, which of course
changes the eutectic structure from face centered to body centered. As you
all know this prohibits the use of fluoroscopy in the process. I am
concerned about the Guinier-Preston zone, which I'm sure you all realize is
the preprecipitation domain in a supersaturated metallic solid solution. I
feel this may result in a pseudobinary system or ternary alloy system.
Should I suggest they use a quasibinary system of linear composition which
would exhibit congruent melting, wherein all equilibriums, at all
temperatures, involve only phases having compositions occurring in the
linear series?

Thank You
Dr. Dixon
Tech. Director
Fermi Laboratory

Hey Dick,

I believe I see where you are going with this. I'm in total agreement
with your thoughts about the amalgam of these substances with these
highly desirable but little known interfeces, and their
idiotsyncrasies. It is truly most unsettling when bodies such as NASA
make unilateral autonomous changes in the well known past practices.
In this case, essentially preventing the use of normal methods for
cleansing the contranal-venting port viz-a-viz best common practice of
Associative Wind Purge (ASS-WIPE) of this residual material. Although
I'm a bit premature in mentioning this while the work is on-going,
recent experiments here in Canada have shown the application of a
Layton jar left in place during the dumping process holds great
promise. But until such times as that process is proven, my advise
would be that you suggest to NASA that casting the material via bowel
re-emplacement, using the recently developed SNiiPS
(shoehor-nitinplace system) would be the best method. Done concurrent
with the proper location of a Hy-lift or Hy-lift JR, both of which
have been recently developed by American Standard, as I'm sure we all
know, either of these will do an excellent job of splatter control.

On a personal note, may I say how refreshing it is to see such
forthright communication from a leading fixture in the science. I
have followed your career since your under-graduate work for your BS,
when you began your thesis on " Para-Inserting Stiff Solids In Noxious
Gasses, Controlling Overtly Natural Tri Ester Supra Torrents" . Fine
work!

Take care, and Good Luck.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.

Thanks Brian. What a good way to start the day.
Eric