Jon Elson

Default Chuck cleaning

Dick wrote:

I've got a Bison 6 jaw Set-Tru chuck on my lathe and it has got harder and
harder to open and close. I've sprayed in silicon lubricant and Dri-slide a
few times to try and lubricate it. I just decided to take it apart and clean
it. I've got the jaws out of it now and there was no swarf in there and very
little dirt. what I have found is the dry lubricant that I have sprayed into
it. I'm in the process of cleaning it now and was wondering if it supposed
to be lubricated and if so, what should it be lubricated with?

A thin film of very light oil. If you have some SAE 10 or 20 oil for
the lathe spindle, or other light oil around, that's what you want. You
generally wipe on the oil from a small rag that is lightly oiled, but not
quite saturated. When you get the chuck assembled, stand out of the way
when you first spin it up, as it will likely throw off some oil.

You want to wipe oil on all the sliding surfaces of the jaws and jaw slots,
the back and front of the scroll, pinions, etc. and the inside of the jaw
slots.

Jon

Dick

I've got a Bison 6 jaw Set-Tru chuck on my lathe and it has got harder and
harder to open and close. I've sprayed in silicon lubricant and Dri-slide a
few times to try and lubricate it. I just decided to take it apart and clean
it. I've got the jaws out of it now and there was no swarf in there and very
little dirt. what I have found is the dry lubricant that I have sprayed into
it. I'm in the process of cleaning it now and was wondering if it supposed
to be lubricated and if so, what should it be lubricated with?
As always, your help will be certainly appreciated.
Dick

--
Richard H. Neighbors
Building and repairing fine billiard cues for real pool players at

Anthony

"Dick" wrote in
:

I've got a Bison 6 jaw Set-Tru chuck on my lathe and it has got harder
and harder to open and close. I've sprayed in silicon lubricant and
Dri-slide a few times to try and lubricate it. I just decided to take
it apart and clean it. I've got the jaws out of it now and there was
no swarf in there and very little dirt. what I have found is the dry
lubricant that I have sprayed into it. I'm in the process of cleaning
it now and was wondering if it supposed to be lubricated and if so,
what should it be lubricated with?
As always, your help will be certainly appreciated.
Dick

A good water-resistant synthetic grease will do fine.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email
R. O'Brian

I have used Molykote GN Metal Assembly paste for years with good results.
It is loaded with extreme pressure, solid lubricant particles in a light
grease base.
A thin coat over all the bearing surfaces lasts a long time and doesn't
attract chips. It is also available as an aerosol spray. It is pricey, but
worth it IMHO as it lasts a long time.

Randy

"Dick" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Eric R Snow

On Tue, 8 Nov 2005 11:12:21 -0600, "R. O'Brian" wrote:

I have used Molykote GN Metal Assembly paste for years with good results.
It is loaded with extreme pressure, solid lubricant particles in a light
grease base.
A thin coat over all the bearing surfaces lasts a long time and doesn't
attract chips. It is also available as an aerosol spray. It is pricey, but
worth it IMHO as it lasts a long time.

Randy

I second that. The Molykote GN is good stuff. It has been responsible
for making some of my mechanical things work when nothing else did.
ERS

. ..