R. O'Brian

Default Chuck cleaning

I have used Molykote GN Metal Assembly paste for years with good results.
It is loaded with extreme pressure, solid lubricant particles in a light
grease base.
A thin coat over all the bearing surfaces lasts a long time and doesn't
attract chips. It is also available as an aerosol spray. It is pricey, but
worth it IMHO as it lasts a long time.

Randy

"Dick" wrote in message
.. .
I've got a Bison 6 jaw Set-Tru chuck on my lathe and it has got harder and
harder to open and close. I've sprayed in silicon lubricant and Dri-slide
a few times to try and lubricate it. I just decided to take it apart and
clean it. I've got the jaws out of it now and there was no swarf in there
and very little dirt. what I have found is the dry lubricant that I have
sprayed into it. I'm in the process of cleaning it now and was wondering
if it supposed to be lubricated and if so, what should it be lubricated
with?
As always, your help will be certainly appreciated.
Dick

--
Richard H. Neighbors
Building and repairing fine billiard cues for real pool players at