Christopher Tidy

Default Wow, backpack stick/tig welder

Ignoramus26745 wrote:
ebay item 7559440801

Now I've found the weight...65 lbs...imagine trying to stay steady with
a 65 lb backpack! It might be okay for welding if you put it on the
floor first, but I'm still wary.

Chris

Christopher Tidy

Ignoramus26745 wrote:
On Wed, 2 Nov 2005 21:51:07 +0000 (UTC), Christopher Tidy wrote:

Ignoramus26745 wrote:

ebay item 7559440801

Now I've found the weight...65 lbs...imagine trying to stay steady with
a 65 lb backpack! It might be okay for welding if you put it on the
floor first, but I'm still wary.

Military is known for making people carry backpacks even bigger. I
agree with you that it is quite weighty, but some people can handle
such packpacks (I would not be one of them).

Well, plenty of folks could carry it, but I think the number of people
who could support that backpack and remain steady in order to do some
welding at the same time (probably in an awkward location on a tractor,
or something) would be pretty few.

Chris

RoyJ

I doubt anyone would plan on trying to have the back on your back while
trying to weld. But it certainly would be useful for any place that you
can't reach with a regular welder. Bridge work, Jeep repair, tower work,
farm equipment, etc.

As for the 65 pounds, a cross country hiking pack with food, sleeping
bag, tiny tent, etc usually goes in at 40 pounds or so. Hauling a 65
pound pack in a mile or two would not be fun but certainly not out of
line. Or figure 2 people, one with the welder, the other with rod,
wrenches, lunch, etc.

Christopher Tidy wrote:
Ignoramus26745 wrote:

ebay item 7559440801

Now I've found the weight...65 lbs...imagine trying to stay steady with
a 65 lb backpack! It might be okay for welding if you put it on the
floor first, but I'm still wary.

Chris

Greg Krynen

The muffler is not protected and is in the arc your arm would use if worn.
It was meant to be portable for climbing ladders, hiking to a remote locale,
etc then take it off, start it up and go to work.

ink.net...