Grant Erwin

Default really handy tool

I got an ancient tire pump a few months ago. It didn't work, but I figured I
could fix it. It was butt-ugly but when I got it home it turned out to be made
100% of brass except for the main shaft which is stainless. The shaft was bent.
I straightened it, lubricated the leather, and plumbed it so the end was
1/8-27NPTF so I can use blowgun ends in it.

Boy is this handy to have around the shop for blowing out holes after drilling
or tapping! I just grab it and pump, way quicker than pulling out an air hose
and finding a blowgun for it. And the air stream is much less dangerous than
90psi shop air too. I haven't yet blown a freshly tapped chip into my eye, but I
always do worry.

GWE
Rex B

Grant Erwin wrote:
I got an ancient tire pump a few months ago. It didn't work, but I
figured I could fix it. It was butt-ugly but when I got it home it
turned out to be made 100% of brass except for the main shaft which is
stainless. The shaft was bent. I straightened it, lubricated the
leather, and plumbed it so the end was 1/8-27NPTF so I can use blowgun
ends in it.

Boy is this handy to have around the shop for blowing out holes after
drilling or tapping! I just grab it and pump, way quicker than pulling
out an air hose and finding a blowgun for it. And the air stream is much
less dangerous than 90psi shop air too. I haven't yet blown a freshly
tapped chip into my eye, but I always do worry.

Now Grant, that is entirely against the whole premis of this group,
which is the acquisition of ever-larger POWER machinery. How here you
come with this Luddite blowgun thing.....

But I can relate to the wrestling out the airhose and finding the nozzle
(adult ADD kicks in here) all just to blow the chips out of that
recessed hex-head screw so you can get the wrench in there.
woodworker88

But I can relate to the wrestling out the airhose and finding the nozzle
(adult ADD kicks in here) all just to blow the chips out of that
recessed hex-head screw so you can get the wrench in there.

Which is why I rigged up my shop with lengths of air hose permanently
attached to a supply pipe attached to the ceiling such that the hose
hangs down at the back of the bench. When I need it I grab the hose
and fire.
I also attached a blow gun to the end of the bench next to the vise
with a cable so I can't loose it. I have another one for working in
other places.

Donnie Barnes

On Thu, 27 Oct, woodworker88 wrote:
But I can relate to the wrestling out the airhose and finding the nozzle
(adult ADD kicks in here) all just to blow the chips out of that
recessed hex-head screw so you can get the wrench in there.

Which is why I rigged up my shop with lengths of air hose permanently
attached to a supply pipe attached to the ceiling such that the hose
hangs down at the back of the bench. When I need it I grab the hose
and fire.
I also attached a blow gun to the end of the bench next to the vise
with a cable so I can't loose it. I have another one for working in
other places.

And pressure regulators can be installed to give you softer blowing
devices. Oh, and one can wear safety glasses. But those don't really have
anything to do with the fact that he who dies with the most tools wins.
;-)

--Donnie

Mike Berger

Right -- seems to me that you can always put a schrader valve
on the hand pump and charge it up with the compressor for a
two stage blower :-)

Donnie Barnes wrote:

And pressure regulators can be installed to give you softer blowing
devices. Oh, and one can wear safety glasses. But those don't really have
anything to do with the fact that he who dies with the most tools wins.
;-)

Nick Hull

In article ,
Rex B wrote:

Boy is this handy to have around the shop for blowing out holes after
drilling or tapping! I just grab it and pump, way quicker than pulling
out an air hose and finding a blowgun for it. And the air stream is much
less dangerous than 90psi shop air too. I haven't yet blown a freshly
tapped chip into my eye, but I always do worry.

Now Grant, that is entirely against the whole premis of this group,
which is the acquisition of ever-larger POWER machinery. How here you
come with this Luddite blowgun thing.....

I guess I'm a worse Luddite, I use a soda straw to blow chips out of
holes. HINT: use a flex straw so you don't blow the chips into your eye!

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/
Jon Danniken

"Nick Hull" wrote:
Rex B wrote:

Boy is this handy to have around the shop for blowing out holes after
drilling or tapping! I just grab it and pump, way quicker than pulling
out an air hose and finding a blowgun for it. And the air stream is

much
less dangerous than 90psi shop air too. I haven't yet blown a freshly
tapped chip into my eye, but I always do worry.

Now Grant, that is entirely against the whole premis of this group,
which is the acquisition of ever-larger POWER machinery. How here you
come with this Luddite blowgun thing.....

I guess I'm a worse Luddite, I use a soda straw to blow chips out of
holes. HINT: use a flex straw so you don't blow the chips into your eye!

I use my shop-vac when possible.

Jon

Tool Guide Joe AutoDrill Metalworking 5 April 14th 05 05:39 PM
Tool Guide Joe AutoDrill Woodworking 4 April 13th 05 02:50 AM
Surface finish [email protected] Metalworking 14 June 20th 04 12:04 AM
Anyone Used Sorby Texture and Spiraling Tool Ken Vaughn Woodturning 23 June 8th 04 04:13 AM
Leatherman Tool Henry E Schaffer Woodworking 13 August 27th 03 06:17 AM