Dave Lyon

Default Legal question

I know that it's illegal to receive or sell stolen merchandise. I also know
that if a company sends you a product in the mail that you didn't ask for
you are under no obligation to return it.

Because of motor oil and other contaminants, it's probably illegal to throw
it into a dumpster.

My guess is that you need to put a glass top on it and use it for a table in
your living room.

"Ignoramus3242" wrote in message
news
Suppose that you receive a parcel that you never expected. For example
a crotch rocket motorcycle engine. There is no return address. All
reasonable efforts to find the owner fail. No one contacts me in, say,
2 weeks.

Does this item become my property?

Would it be legal to throw it away in garbage?

Would it be legal to sell it on ebay?

Is there a registry of stolen motorcycle engines?

What if I sell it and a month later, an owner materializes. Do I owe
anything to the owner.

I am very leery of the idea of selling this motor on ebay. It looks
like plenty of stolen motorcycle stuff is sold there and I, with the
lame story of fedex leaving it in my driveway, would look like a
thief. If I do not mention that story at all, then people would ask
all kinds of pointed questions like "how did you end up with this
engine if you do not know anything about it".

Dave Hinz

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 14:04:00 GMT, Dave Lyon wrote:
I know that it's illegal to receive or sell stolen merchandise.

^^^^^^^^^

Wouldn't that be, "knowingly"? Iggy has no reason to know that this is
stolen, not even any real reason to suspect that it is. All he knows is
that someone sent something to him without a return address. For all he
or any of us know, he could have forgotten a swap deal made long ago,
that someone finally made good on. Or, maybe someone knows he likes
interesting stuff. Or, maybe someone is just messing with him. If you
think about it, it's a great prank - send someone an item of non-trivial
value, no mention of origin, and sit back and watch the results. Wasn't
me, but I'm storing this little idea for possible future use.

I also know
that if a company sends you a product in the mail that you didn't ask for
you are under no obligation to return it.

FedEX may have different rules than US mail, not sure.

Because of motor oil and other contaminants, it's probably illegal to throw
it into a dumpster.

Well, it'd be a waste to just toss it.

My guess is that you need to put a glass top on it and use it for a table in
your living room.

You didn't see his post about the wife being ****ed, did you. I don't
think your approach would help much

Here's what I'm thinking, Iggy. Someone sent it to someone else.
Somehow, it got to you. You were either supposed to get it, in which
case it's yours, or you weren't supposed to get it. If you weren't, the
person who _was_ supposed to get it will, at some point, contact the
seller and say "Hey, where's my engine." With any luck, he'll then
figure out he sent it to you by mistake, send you 20 bucks extra to
cover your hassle and for you to ship it where it belongs. I'd hang on
to it for 3 months if it were me, after which I think that's a
reasonable amount of time to shrug it off and add it to the
stack-o-stuff to be sold.

Seem reasonable?

Dave

Dave Lyon

Wouldn't that be, "knowingly"?

Honestly, I don't know. What you say sounds reasonable, but I've never known
reason to slow down a law maker.

carl mciver

"Ignoramus3242" wrote in message
SNIP

| 3 months is not reasonable. 2 weeks will be more like it. You see, I
| am much more skeptical about the chances of the seller/buyer finding
| me via fedex, because of the shipping label. It was handwritten and is
| not traceable to a person. I already called fedex. I suspect that it
| was put in that box at a fedex location after it fell out of some
| other box, with that label having been written by fedex personnel.

I think that since you've documented the exchange with Fedex, and tried
to find who sent it, that then puts the onus onto Fedex should it come up
missing. I'd for sure keep the label and documentation, regardless of what
you do.

Andy Asberry

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 14:38:19 GMT, Ignoramus3242
wrote:

3 months is not reasonable. 2 weeks will be more like it. You see, I
am much more skeptical about the chances of the seller/buyer finding
me via fedex, because of the shipping label. It was handwritten and is
not traceable to a person. I already called fedex. I suspect that it
was put in that box at a fedex location after it fell out of some
other box, with that label having been written by fedex personnel.

And where did the FedEx employee get your name and address?

Dave Hinz

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 19:05:05 GMT, Ignoramus3242 wrote:

Actually, I have some spanking new developments. An ebay seller who
sold me a 3 HP (that's THREE horsepower, 12 inch wheels) bench grinder
admits to having shipped several motorcycle engines. I am talking to
him to find out whether his descriptions would match what I have.

oooh, I'm all a-quiver to learn what really happened here. Hopefully
the guy will be so glad that you're going way out of your way to fix
_his_ problem, that he'll kick you 50 bucks or something?

Anthony

Ignoramus3242 wrote in
:

3 months is not reasonable. 2 weeks will be more like it. You see, I
am much more skeptical about the chances of the seller/buyer finding
me via fedex, because of the shipping label. It was handwritten and is
not traceable to a person. I already called fedex. I suspect that it
was put in that box at a fedex location after it fell out of some
other box, with that label having been written by fedex personnel.

But iggy....that's the PERFECT motor for a GO-CART!....think about the
metal possibilities...welding a frame, making brackets.. etc...

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email
DeepDiver

"Ignoramus3242" wrote in message

You see, I am much more skeptical about the chances of the
seller/buyer finding me via fedex, because of the shipping label.
It was handwritten and is not traceable to a person. I already
called fedex. I suspect that it was put in that box at a fedex
location after it fell out of some other box, with that label
having been written by fedex personnel.

Lost and mis-directed shipments seem to happen a lot with FedEx Ground
(which has abysmal service, based on my experience). But isn't there a
tracking number on the package?

Martin H. Eastburn

Is it TO you ? or an address which is yours... but a typo...

Maybe there is a shop looking for it to rebuild a cycle...
Like transmissions - getting a second hand one - it comes in to the wrong shop ?

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Ignoramus3242 wrote:
On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 20:38:09 GMT, DeepDiver wrote:

"Ignoramus3242" wrote in message
. ..

You see, I am much more skeptical about the chances of the
seller/buyer finding me via fedex, because of the shipping label.
It was handwritten and is not traceable to a person. I already
called fedex. I suspect that it was put in that box at a fedex
location after it fell out of some other box, with that label
having been written by fedex personnel.

Lost and mis-directed shipments seem to happen a lot with FedEx Ground
(which has abysmal service, based on my experience). But isn't there a
tracking number on the package?

Yes, there is, I called fedex about it and tracked it on the
web. There is no return info.

OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Simple question regarding Ceiling tiles and sound? lbbs UK diy 5 March 26th 04 01:36 AM
Simple question regarding Ceiling tiles and sound? lbbs Home Ownership 2 March 25th 04 07:03 PM
Plumbing Question Jeff UK diy 4 December 1st 03 01:49 PM