Jon Danniken

Default Someone sent me a Suzuki engine

"Ignoramus21085" wrote:
The plot thickens.

I found the label on the package, with my address handwritten and no
return address. I called Fedex. The woman on the phone found the
tracking number and said that, strangely, there is no return address.

My current hypothesis is that this motor was shipped from an unrelated
party to an unrelated party and the shipment broke and it fell
out. Finally somehow someone at that facility mistakenly decided that
it was destined to go to me and that's how I got it.

I will wait a month for someone to contact me, but I am not holding my
breath. If no one does, I will dispose of this motor.

I have looked it over. It is missing some minor parts. It is a
sidemount motor, it hangs from the side of something. There are no
bottom mounts. It also has a sprocket. It's as though it was for
driving a pump or a hydraulic system or some such.

What, no pictures?

Jon
Jon Anderson

Ignoramus21085 wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/suzuki-motor/

Almost certainly a motorcycle engine. Can't think offhand of anything
else Suzuki builds with a chain drive. Wish someone would ship me one
out of the blue. I'd feel obligated to do something with it, like build
a killer gokart. (figuratively, but perhaps literally...G)

Jon
Wayne

Looks like a street motorcycle engine.

Wayne D.

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 00:57:09 GMT, Ignoramus21085
wrote:

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 17:51:49 -0700, Jon Danniken
wrote:
"Ignoramus21085" wrote:
[...]

I now think that perhaps it is a motor from a badass motorcycle...

Here are the photos:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/suzuki-motor/

Gary Brady

Ignoramus21085 wrote:

I now think that perhaps it is a motor from a badass motorcycle...

Here are the photos:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/suzuki-motor/

Yup, motorcycle engine. The top center picture shows a shifter shaft
coming out under the sprocket. Nice looking engine, but I'm not up on
Suzuki street bikes.

I bet somebody's wondering where it is.

Gary Brady
Austin, TX
ATP*

"Ignoramus21085" wrote in message
On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 01:36:05 GMT, Ignoramus21085
wrote:
On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 01:20:47 GMT, Gary Brady
wrote:
Ignoramus21085 wrote:

I now think that perhaps it is a motor from a badass motorcycle...

Here are the photos:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/suzuki-motor/

Yup, motorcycle engine. The top center picture shows a shifter shaft
coming out under the sprocket. Nice looking engine, but I'm not up on
Suzuki street bikes.

I bet somebody's wondering where it is.

Yep... I am going to start looking from whom I have not yet received
stuff... will write them... As I said earlier, the tracking number
from fedex was a "dead end" and had no return address in their database.

On a friend's suggestion, I also checked ebay completed items. No
sight of that engine. WTF

Perhaps it is full of drugs or some other contraband, and the thugs are
simply waiting to make sure the police have not tracked the shipment. If so,
they will be contacting you soon!

"Ignoramus21085" wrote:
[...]

Definitely a Bike engine.
Christopher Tidy

Is there any way you can track it from the engine number? I mean,
perhaps you could call Suzuki and they could give you the serial number
of the bike to which it was fitted, then from that you might be able to
find the bike's registration number and owner? A lot of work, but worth
a thought.

I bought some lifting slings recently and the guy sent me more than I
ordered. I was tempted just to forget about it and keep them, but I felt
a bit bad so I contacted the guy and told him about the mistake. He said
he had no idea what happened but that I could keep them. At least I felt
guilt-free that way.

Chris

Harold and Susan Vordos

"Christopher Tidy" wrote in message
snip--

I bought some lifting slings recently and the guy sent me more than I
ordered. I was tempted just to forget about it and keep them, but I felt
a bit bad so I contacted the guy and told him about the mistake. He said
he had no idea what happened but that I could keep them. At least I felt
guilt-free that way.

Chris

Very thoughtful of you, Chris!
Refreshing in today's environment to find honest people.

Harold

Donnie Barnes

On Wed, 26 Oct, Ignoramus21085 wrote:
I will look (and am checking more auctions), but if in two weeks or so
the owner does not materialize, I wil sell it on ebay. I will charge
at least $50 for crating. It needs to go in a plywood box.

Well, if it was originally sold through eBay then there's a good chance the
seller/buyer will see it listed and contact you, especially if you put in
the eBay listing how you got it. If it wasn't sold via eBay to begin with
(and that's quite possible...there are bike parts wholesalers out there),
then someone will buy it and that will be that. Sounds sort of perfect to
me...

As for the calling Suzuki part, even if they do give you a VIN that the
bike went to, I'm not sure how you're gonna find out much more about it.
It's not like there's a single database anywhere of who owns what VIN.
Well, not that the public has access to, anyway.

--Donnie

Larry Jaques

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 00:57:09 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm,
Ignoramus21085 quickly quoth:

"Ignoramus21085" wrote:
[...]

No biker I know would have ****lacquered the thing like that. It came
from a bad junkyard or used car lot. Besides, it's a water-cooled
engine. Not a Samurai and probably not a scoot...or is it?

That looks like the starter and flywheel in the 06 pic but the 05 pic
definitely has a sprocket. 02 looks to have a shifter shaft sticking
out the bottom left, under the sprocket, so it may well be a
transverse-mounted, 4-cylinder, water-cooled bike motor. That'd make
the damned thing VERY heavy. Velly Intelesting.
http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/suzuki-motor/dscf0006.jpg

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Life is full of little surprises. * Comprehensive Website Development
--Pandora * http://www.diversify.com

Rex B

OK, I'll give you $100 for it plus shipping.
I've always wanted to build a D Sports Racer.
You can keep the drugs.

- -
Rex Burkheimer
WM Automotive
Fort Worth TX

Ignoramus21085 wrote:
Yup, motorcycle engine. The top center picture shows a shifter shaft
coming out under the sprocket. Nice looking engine, but I'm not up on
Suzuki street bikes.

I bet somebody's wondering where it is.

Yep... I am going to start looking from whom I have not yet received
stuff... will write them... As I said earlier, the tracking number
from fedex was a "dead end" and had no return address in their database.

On a friend's suggestion, I also checked ebay completed items. No
sight of that engine. WTF

Perhaps it is full of drugs or some other contraband, and the thugs are
simply waiting to make sure the police have not tracked the shipment. If so,
they will be contacting you soon!

that's OK... my life is weird without drugs

Dave Lyon

No dealer or someone who ships professionally would package this
engine that poorly. It came from some bonehead individual person.

Based on the efforts you've gone through to find the owner, and the no
return address issue, I'd guess that the original packaging was destroyed by
the carrier, and they threw what was left into a box and guessed at the
final destination.

Dave Hinz

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 05:25:27 +0000 (UTC), Christopher Tidy wrote:

I bought some lifting slings recently and the guy sent me more than I
ordered. I was tempted just to forget about it and keep them, but I felt
a bit bad so I contacted the guy and told him about the mistake. He said
he had no idea what happened but that I could keep them. At least I felt
guilt-free that way.

Heh...I had a lady buy a lowish-value Walking Liberty Half from me on
eBay couple weeks ago. Her total was $7.84 with shipping. She sent me
cash (grrr...), $7.85. Just for giggles, I sent her the coin she
ordered, _and_ an AU-50 1958-D wheat cent. Bright copper, nice looking,
worth all of maybe 3 cents or so. Packed it in with her purchase,
mailed it to her. She contacted me immediately to tell me I had made an
"error" and shipped an extra item - I told her thanks, no, that's just
your change

Thing is, with the low value coins like that one, they're not worth the
listing fees (even on an eBay store format), but you throw one in for
free, and people remember your auctions. Cheezy, perhaps, but seems to
be effective; I get a lot of return customers.

But, yes, a buyer emailing me to let me know of an error is definately
appreciated. Iggy, however, has done probably more than I would to try
to figure out where this thing came from. I think it's time to sit back
for a month or three and see what if anything happens, after which, he's
got an engine. Bit of research (including cost of repair parts to cover
evident damage) and sell the sucker, I say.

Dave Hinz

Dave Hinz

On 26 Oct 2005 10:26:42 GMT, Donnie Barnes wrote:
It's not like there's a single database anywhere of who owns what VIN.

Sure there is. How else would they do recalls?

Well, not that the public has access to, anyway.

The DMV may have just that, but I don't know if m/c's are tracked
by engine number any more.
Dave Lyon

Heh...I had a lady buy a lowish-value Walking Liberty Half from me on
eBay couple weeks ago. Her total was $7.84 with shipping. She sent me
cash (grrr...), $7.85. Just for giggles, I sent her the coin she
ordered, _and_ an AU-50 1958-D wheat cent. Bright copper, nice looking,
worth all of maybe 3 cents or so. Packed it in with her purchase,
mailed it to her. She contacted me immediately to tell me I had made an
"error" and shipped an extra item - I told her thanks, no, that's just
your change

Occasionally, I sell taco holders that I manufacture on Ebay. I charge a
flat fee of $1.99 for shipping and handling regardless of order size. I had
one lady argue with me for 2 weeks that the fee was too high AFTER she
bought, paid for, and received the items. She wanted a refund of the
shipping cost. Finally I decided the refund was cheaper than fighting with
her and taking the chance of getting negative feedback

I hate ebay for small items. It's just not worth the effort.

Erik

In article ,
Ignoramus3242 wrote:

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 08:33:23 -0500, Rex B wrote:
OK, I'll give you $100 for it plus shipping.
I've always wanted to build a D Sports Racer.
You can keep the drugs.

Cool. Remember that this engine has been somewhat damaged. Anyway, I
will call Suzuki to see if I can track down its owner based on the
engine number. Then 2 weeks wait and I may list it on ebay. I also
wonder about legal issues.

I'd drop the thing off asap at police station, and be done with it...

Can you imagine the legal Pandora's box should that engine turn out to
be hot? The silly little cops/lawyer *******s would be up 'yo' ass like
a pack of starving Chihuahuas on a pork chop.

I'd at very least run the story by my lawyer (if I had one) before doing
anything other than dumping it with the cops.

Erik
Rex B

Dave Hinz wrote:
Heh...I had a lady buy a lowish-value Walking Liberty Half from me on
eBay couple weeks ago. Her total was $7.84 with shipping. She sent me
cash (grrr...)

you don't like cash?
Why not, because there was change?
In this case, I'd have probably sent you $8.00 in folding money

Rex
Gunner

wrote:

As for the calling Suzuki part, even if they do give you a VIN that the
bike went to, I'm not sure how you're gonna find out much more about it.
It's not like there's a single database anywhere of who owns what VIN.
Well, not that the public has access to, anyway.

--Donnie

Its variously called the DMV in most states. Sometimes they charge a
small fee to run an engine number, other times if you have a good
reason, they will do it for free.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Dave Hinz

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 15:04:35 GMT, Dave Lyon wrote:

Occasionally, I sell taco holders that I manufacture on Ebay. I charge a
flat fee of $1.99 for shipping and handling regardless of order size.

Perfectly reasonable. I have no idea what a taco holder is, but I'll
search for it when I get home.

I had
one lady argue with me for 2 weeks that the fee was too high AFTER she
bought, paid for, and received the items. She wanted a refund of the
shipping cost.

What a pain in the ass.

Finally I decided the refund was cheaper than fighting with
her and taking the chance of getting negative feedback

So she held your feedback hostage pending the results of her extortion.
Just lovely.

I hate ebay for small items. It's just not worth the effort.

I just started a test subscription to an ebay "store", where it costs me
all of 3 cents (with gallery image!) to list items. They stay up for 30
days, auto-renew for 2 cents unless cancelled, unlimited number of
items. If your stuff is all the same, might be worth a shot. 15 bucks
a month, but I'm burning much more than that on fees right now. They're
fixed price, not auctions, though.

I plan to list low-value stuff like circulated mercury dimes in non-key
dates, and that sort of thing. Not worth listing a dime worth 75 cents,
when it takes 35 cents to list it. Make that 3 cents, yeah, I can sell
it for scrap value and not lose out compared to selling it to the corner
coin dealer _for_ scrap. We'll see how it goes, but they're doing a
free month trial thing right now. Worst case, it sucks, and I sell the
silver to the scrap guy.

Might be worth looking into.

Dave

Dave Hinz

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 10:21:36 -0500, Rex B wrote:

Dave Hinz wrote:
Heh...I had a lady buy a lowish-value Walking Liberty Half from me on
eBay couple weeks ago. Her total was $7.84 with shipping. She sent me
cash (grrr...)

you don't like cash?
Why not, because there was change?

No, because if it had gone missing there's the hassle factor.

In this case, I'd have probably sent you $8.00 in folding money

....then I'd probably have thrown in a buffalo with the wheatie

Dave Lyon

wrote:

Occasionally, I sell taco holders that I manufacture on Ebay. I charge a
flat fee of $1.99 for shipping and handling regardless of order size.

Perfectly reasonable. I have no idea what a taco holder is, but I'll
search for it when I get home.

I don't have any on Ebay right now because of the hassle factor. If you
want, I can send you a link to my website.

So she held your feedback hostage pending the results of her extortion.
Just lovely.

Yep. The real kicker is, she wouldn't tell me how much she wanted refunded.
She said I should decide what was fair. I told her the $1.99 was what I
thought was fair so we were right back to where we started. I ended up
refunding ALL of her money in hopes that it would eat at her conscience. I
never heard from her again.

I just started a test subscription to an ebay "store", where it costs me
all of 3 cents (with gallery image!) to list items. They stay up for 30
days, auto-renew for 2 cents unless cancelled, unlimited number of
items. If your stuff is all the same, might be worth a shot. 15 bucks
a month, but I'm burning much more than that on fees right now. They're
fixed price, not auctions, though.

I've found that I have to raise my price on ebay in order to cover all the
stupid little fees. This may be a good operturnity for me. I'm paying much
more than that for Google Add Words with limited results.

Dave Hinz

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 15:55:41 GMT, Dave Lyon wrote:

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message

Perfectly reasonable. I have no idea what a taco holder is, but I'll
search for it when I get home.

I don't have any on Ebay right now because of the hassle factor. If you
want, I can send you a link to my website.

That'd be great - my email works if you want to do it that way. I'm
guessing it's something for...holding tacos? I'm just not seeing it,
but I'm sure it's brilliant

So she held your feedback hostage pending the results of her extortion.
Just lovely.

Yep. The real kicker is, she wouldn't tell me how much she wanted refunded.
She said I should decide what was fair. I told her the $1.99 was what I
thought was fair so we were right back to where we started. I ended up
refunding ALL of her money in hopes that it would eat at her conscience. I
never heard from her again.

It'd be interesting to read the "feedback left for others" by her.

I just started a test subscription to an ebay "store", where it costs me
all of 3 cents (with gallery image!) to list items. They stay up for 30
days, auto-renew for 2 cents unless cancelled, unlimited number of
items. If your stuff is all the same, might be worth a shot. 15 bucks
a month, but I'm burning much more than that on fees right now. They're
fixed price, not auctions, though.

I've found that I have to raise my price on ebay in order to cover all the
stupid little fees. This may be a good operturnity for me.

It's free for a month, so as long as they don't "convert" the fixed
price items to full price listings on the sly (that'd **** me off, I
should check that) it doesn't cost anything to try.

I'm paying much
more than that for Google Add Words with limited results.

Hadn't even _thought_ of that; how much volume would I need before it's
worth doing? How much per click, or whatever?

Dave

Christopher Tidy

Larry Jaques wrote:

snip

No biker I know would have ****lacquered the thing like that.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Is that a technical term? Does it refer to a protective coating or a
form of abuse? :-)

Chris

Larry Jaques

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 16:26:38 +0000 (UTC), with neither quill nor
qualm, Christopher Tidy quickly quoth:

Larry Jaques wrote:

snip

No biker I know would have ****lacquered the thing like that.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Is that a technical term? Does it refer to a protective coating or a
form of abuse? :-)

'Murrican slang, Chris. It combines a technical term with a low
opinion of what someone has done to an innocent inanimate object.
When I worked as a wrench, I used to hate the used cars which would
come in with rotted hoses from the lacquering the used car dealers
would put on everything under the hood( including dirt in many cases.)
Disgusting, that.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Life is full of little surprises. * Comprehensive Website Development
--Pandora * http://www.diversify.com
Larry Jaques

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 15:22:58 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm,
Ignoramus3242 quickly quoth:

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 15:16:49 GMT, Erik wrote:

I'd drop the thing off asap at police station, and be done with it...

Can you imagine the legal Pandora's box should that engine turn out to
be hot? The silly little cops/lawyer *******s would be up 'yo' ass like
a pack of starving Chihuahuas on a pork chop.

Yea, I think that you are mistaken here.

My explanation that I received it in a fedex package, should be
enough.

I have not done anything illegal and would not be in any trouble.
It is as clear as night and day.

I'd DEFINITELY check with a lawyer on that, Ig. Simply being accused
of theft can cost thousands, even if you're as innocent as a newborn.

happy. It is not my engine. If I do not find the owner, and after 2
weeks sell it, I will be happy too. If it stays in the police holding
yard, rusting under snow, then I would be upset.

Yeah, all that rusty aluminum would be a bad thing. g

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Life is full of little surprises. * Comprehensive Website Development
--Pandora * http://www.diversify.com

Dave Lyon

I'm paying much
more than that for Google Add Words with limited results.

Hadn't even _thought_ of that; how much volume would I need before it's
worth doing? How much per click, or whatever?

Dave

It depends. For my item, I pay about $.07 per click through to my site.
Fortunately, my item doesn't have much competition from the big boys. If you
tried to advertise something like car parts that way, it would cost you a
bundle to get it done.

They base your fee off of how many clicks you get, and what others are
willing to pay for the same keyword.

Dave Lyon

"Ignoramus3242" wrote in message
to the taco holder guy, you sell the wrong kind of goods. That's the
main issue.

Yea, I know. There is a reason you never see $2.00 items advertised on TV
unless they are disposable. There just isn't enough revenue to cover the
advertising cost.

Dave Lyon

What I mean is that your clientele has too many crap people. That
would not be the case if, say, you were selling industrial items. I
sell industrial stuff and almost all my customers are literate,
intelligent, honest and patient people. I know from looking at the
motorcycle engine market that it is not always the case.

Oh, now I see.

I build plastic injection molds for a living. I've found that MOST people
that can write a check for one of those are reasonable people.

Christopher Tidy

Ignoramus3242 wrote:
On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 09:55:53 -0700, Larry Jaques novalidaddress@di wrote:

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 16:26:38 +0000 (UTC), with neither quill nor
qualm, Christopher Tidy quickly quoth:

Larry Jaques wrote:

snip

No biker I know would have ****lacquered the thing like that.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Is that a technical term? Does it refer to a protective coating or a
form of abuse? :-)

'Murrican slang, Chris. It combines a technical term with a low
opinion of what someone has done to an innocent inanimate object.
When I worked as a wrench, I used to hate the used cars which would
come in with rotted hoses from the lacquering the used car dealers
would put on everything under the hood( including dirt in many cases.)
Disgusting, that.

Larry, can you explain what is that lacquering?

Is that referring tp spraying everything with shiny lacquer to make
the item look better to an unsuspecting eye?

I think so. "****lacquering" is a pretty amusing term. It fits well with
words like "banjax". Do you think your engine has been ****lacquered?

Chris

Mike Berger

Why not just have the carrier pick it up? When the original
recipient complains, the carrier will have to locate or pay
for the merchandise.

Ignoramus21085 wrote:
On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 04:10:13 GMT, xray wrote:

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 03:44:52 GMT, Ignoramus21085
wrote:

* Title:
Newly Designed R737 Engine for SUZUKI GSX-R750

Yep, I think you figured out what it is. I still don't see any recently
completed auctions with pictures that exactly match the one you have.

Looks like similar engines went for around $1K or more.

Somebody must be unhappy.

Could be more than one person. The motor was packed poorly.

I can make more pictures.

I will look (and am checking more auctions), but if in two weeks or so
the owner does not materialize, I wil sell it on ebay. I will charge
at least $50 for crating. It needs to go in a plywood box.

Larry Jaques

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 16:58:50 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm,
Ignoramus3242 quickly quoth:

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 09:55:53 -0700, Larry Jaques novalidaddress@di wrote:
On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 16:26:38 +0000 (UTC), with neither quill nor
qualm, Christopher Tidy quickly quoth:

Larry Jaques wrote:

snip

No biker I know would have ****lacquered the thing like that.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Is that a technical term? Does it refer to a protective coating or a
form of abuse? :-)

'Murrican slang, Chris. It combines a technical term with a low
opinion of what someone has done to an innocent inanimate object.
When I worked as a wrench, I used to hate the used cars which would
come in with rotted hoses from the lacquering the used car dealers
would put on everything under the hood( including dirt in many cases.)
Disgusting, that.

Larry, can you explain what is that lacquering?

Is that referring tp spraying everything with shiny lacquer to make
the item look better to an unsuspecting eye?

Precisely. They just make everything shiny, not caring that it can rot
the hoses and belts beneath it. Some of these guys clean and wipe the
area thoroughly first, a good thing. Others just do a halfassed job
and spray lacquer all over everything after it dries. The second-hand
rental cars are usually the better done lacquer jobs. They mask parts
which shouldn't be sprayed and clean before doing so. Shadetree used
car lots usually do the halfassed jobs. They were also the type who
put sawdust in the differential to quiet it until it's sold.

Your engine looks to have come from a used car lot. Caveat Emptor!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Life is full of little surprises. * Comprehensive Website Development
--Pandora * http://www.diversify.com
Larry Jaques

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 17:02:27 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm,

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 09:58:54 -0700, Larry Jaques novalidaddress@di wrote:

I'd DEFINITELY check with a lawyer on that, Ig. Simply being accused
of theft can cost thousands, even if you're as innocent as a newborn.

Well, I already called the police anyway, they will call me back in a
couple of days (detectives are not at work, as I was explained, to my
surprise). They'd just run the motor through their database if they
can. Why would they accuse me of theft if I called them to verify
whether something is stolen. That makes no sense.

Dumber criminals have been known to do that to see if it was reported
yet. But it might be the owner who accused you and forced the police
to take his side.

The police local to you can't give you a clean bill of health on the
engine, they can only tell you that it is not yet reported stolen,
etc. That leaves them open to impound it and/or come after you if it
is reported stolen. I mention that as a possibile eventuality, not a
probability.

Hell, they're the cops/gov't/phone company. They can do what they
want. sigh

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Life is full of little surprises. * Comprehensive Website Development
--Pandora * http://www.diversify.com
Bruce L. Bergman

wrote:

As for the calling Suzuki part, even if they do give you a VIN that the
bike went to, I'm not sure how you're gonna find out much more about it.
It's not like there's a single database anywhere of who owns what VIN.
Well, not that the public has access to, anyway.

Do you have a full 17-digit number starting with a J that looks like
a complete VIN? Or a few letters followed by six to eight digits?

As I understand it, the engine identifier number of a bike is
usually the same as the VIN, or at least a known subset of it that
they can decipher - as in a motor model identifier, a year code, and
the last significant digits of the bike VIN production serial. Since
the motor and transmission unit is the high value component of a
motorcycle, and is so easy to steal and place in a new frame with a
clean VIN, they want a good way to keep track of them.

Its variously called the DMV in most states. Sometimes they charge a
small fee to run an engine number, other times if you have a good
reason, they will do it for free.

I have had no problem getting the Los Angeles Police Dept. to check
VIN codes through their computers (and by extension NCIC) at least as
to their Stolen/Not Stolen status.

Seems the side street next to our house is a nice shady low traffic
spot where they like to drop stolen cars for a few days to cool off -
and see if there's a LoJack on board. Any scruffy looking vehicle
parked there overnight that the other neighbors don't know anything
about gets called in. And about half the time, an OPG tow wanders by
to recover the car.

And there are the ones called in elsewhere as "A stolen Celica
Supra, come recover it", and I was questioned by the Operator as to
"How do you know it's stolen?" Let's see, it has four temporary
spares held on with two lugnuts each, no seats, no engine or trans, no
doors, no hood, no bumpers, no glass, no dashboard... Oh, and it was
on fire when I first saw it, the FD just got done putting it out.
Trust me, Lady, it's stolen. ;-P

Depending on how the disclosure laws are written in the OP's state
the PD may or may not be able to share any other information with you.

-- Bruce --
Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545
Roger Shoaf

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message
I plan to list low-value stuff like circulated mercury dimes in non-key
dates, and that sort of thing. Not worth listing a dime worth 75 cents,
when it takes 35 cents to list it. Make that 3 cents, yeah, I can sell
it for scrap value and not lose out compared to selling it to the corner
coin dealer _for_ scrap. We'll see how it goes, but they're doing a
free month trial thing right now. Worst case, it sucks, and I sell the
silver to the scrap guy.

Why not package 10 to 20 coins in a lot? That way you get rid of a bunch of
coins at a time.

--

__
Roger Shoaf

Important factors in selecting a mate:
1] Depth of gene pool
2] Position on the food chain.

Roger Shoaf

"Erik" wrote in message
In article ,
Ignoramus3242 wrote:

I'd drop the thing off asap at police station, and be done with it...

Can you imagine the legal Pandora's box should that engine turn out to
be hot? The silly little cops/lawyer *******s would be up 'yo' ass like
a pack of starving Chihuahuas on a pork chop.

I'd at very least run the story by my lawyer (if I had one) before doing
anything other than dumping it with the cops.

I wouldn't worry too much about any police problems. FedEx is a commn
carrier. When a shipper gives them some freight, they own the freight
untill they deliver it. If it des nt get delivered or returned FedEx is
ging to be on the hook for the claim. If they couldn't bother to pick up
the motor in a timely fashion then they can eat the loss.

Also Iggy came into the posession of the motor lawfully and has no reason to
believe it is stolen. As such he can sell it, and the future purchaser as a
bona fide buyer has clear title.

If he found a bag of money on the street, then he is obligated to turn it
over to the cops for a period of time (usually 30 days) and if no one clames
it then he can keep it.

--
Roger Shoaf

If knowledge is power, and power corrupts, what does this say about the
Congress?

Donnie Barnes

On Wed, 26 Oct, Gunner wrote:
As for the calling Suzuki part, even if they do give you a VIN that the
bike went to, I'm not sure how you're gonna find out much more about it.
It's not like there's a single database anywhere of who owns what VIN.
Well, not that the public has access to, anyway.

Its variously called the DMV in most states. Sometimes they charge a
small fee to run an engine number, other times if you have a good
reason, they will do it for free.

So he's gonna call 50 DMV's? I wouldn't. And that was my point...there's
no central database. Plus I'd bet many DMV's won't just hand out
information based on a VIN you give them even if they have it. I've seen a
*lot* of different folks with a VIN post classified ads with the VIN that
says "I used to own this car and I want to try to buy it back but can't
find it. If you know of the owner, please contact me." Happens a lot with
Porsche's, for instance. If it were easy to just call each DMV, these
folks would probably do that and be able to find the car.

--Donnie

On 27 Oct 2005 18:49:23 GMT, Donnie Barnes
wrote:

On Wed, 26 Oct, Gunner wrote:
[...]

I only have one data point on this subject. It regards a
Harley-Davidson basket case that I wanted to purchase, but th' seller
had no title, or any other paperwork of substance. It was a 1942
vintage motor.

I called th' local WA State Patrol office, explaining this dilema and
they ran th' numbers through some national database. I forget th'
acronym. It took all of about 3 minutes, and at no cost what-so-ever.
I was politely informed that there was no record of this VIN being
reported stolen.

I subsequently purchased that bike and titled it via a title service
company as listed in numerous antique automotive/motorcycle trader
magazines. It cost $75.00. It was inspected by th' State Patrol and
I was issued a title for it as a 1942 Harley-Davidson.

So I have to assume that there is indeed a national database of stolen
VIN's. Transfer of ownership records over th' years is a totally
different story.

Snarl

wrote:

On Wed, 26 Oct, Gunner wrote:
[...]

Here in Ontario for 20 dollars and the VIN you can obtain the entire
vehicular history from date of first registration to present. It is a
"sellers kit" that is required to be provided by the seller to the
purchacer of any private vehicle - and CAN be optained by anyone
anytime.
Gunner

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 19:14:53 GMT, Ignoramus21002
wrote:

reason, they will do it for free.

So he's gonna call 50 DMV's? I wouldn't. And that was my point...there's
no central database.

I am not sure. I spoke with our local detective this morning, told him
the situation. I will give him the VIN tomorrow and then he will check
it. If the engine is stolen, I would imagine that they would simply
take it, if not, he said he would not have much interest in its fate.

So, actually there is a database of stolen VINs.

Yes indeed. NCIC is only one of them.