Gunner

Default Someone sent me a Suzuki engine

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 14:48:31 -0700, wrote:

On 27 Oct 2005 18:49:23 GMT, Donnie Barnes
wrote:

On Wed, 26 Oct, Gunner wrote:
As for the calling Suzuki part, even if they do give you a VIN that the
bike went to, I'm not sure how you're gonna find out much more about it.
It's not like there's a single database anywhere of who owns what VIN.
Well, not that the public has access to, anyway.

Its variously called the DMV in most states. Sometimes they charge a
small fee to run an engine number, other times if you have a good
reason, they will do it for free.

So he's gonna call 50 DMV's? I wouldn't. And that was my point...there's
no central database. Plus I'd bet many DMV's won't just hand out
information based on a VIN you give them even if they have it. I've seen a
*lot* of different folks with a VIN post classified ads with the VIN that
says "I used to own this car and I want to try to buy it back but can't
find it. If you know of the owner, please contact me." Happens a lot with
Porsche's, for instance. If it were easy to just call each DMV, these
folks would probably do that and be able to find the car.

I only have one data point on this subject. It regards a
Harley-Davidson basket case that I wanted to purchase, but th' seller
had no title, or any other paperwork of substance. It was a 1942
vintage motor.

I called th' local WA State Patrol office, explaining this dilema and
they ran th' numbers through some national database. I forget th'
acronym. It took all of about 3 minutes, and at no cost what-so-ever.
I was politely informed that there was no record of this VIN being
reported stolen.

I subsequently purchased that bike and titled it via a title service
company as listed in numerous antique automotive/motorcycle trader
magazines. It cost $75.00. It was inspected by th' State Patrol and
I was issued a title for it as a 1942 Harley-Davidson.

So I have to assume that there is indeed a national database of stolen
VIN's. Transfer of ownership records over th' years is a totally
different story.

Snarl

This is the reason a car found stripped on California can be traced
back to the owner in Podunk Falls, Georgia.

As well as window glass, etc etc etc..chop shops have it much harder
now since most assemblies and commonl stolen items have become
serialized.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Dave Hinz

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 21:34:31 -0700, Roger Shoaf wrote:

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message
I plan to list low-value stuff like circulated mercury dimes in non-key
dates, and that sort of thing. Not worth listing a dime worth 75 cents,
when it takes 35 cents to list it. Make that 3 cents, yeah, I can sell
it for scrap value and not lose out compared to selling it to the corner
coin dealer _for_ scrap. We'll see how it goes, but they're doing a
free month trial thing right now. Worst case, it sucks, and I sell the
silver to the scrap guy.

Why not package 10 to 20 coins in a lot? That way you get rid of a bunch of
coins at a time.

Tried it 3 at a time, and got more email from people asking for one
specific coin from the lots, than I got bids. (shrug) At 3 cents per
listing, we'll see how it goes. So yeah, lots was my first thought.

Dave