acrobat ants

Default Using carbonator pump for TIG water cooler?

let me put my 2 cents worth in.

I use a 5 gal homedepot bucket ,filled with 4 gal.distilled water,
lid on the top , the same carbonator motor you got sits on top of the
lid.
I was lucky on my e-bay purchase because the fella' sent me the
rubber insulator feet and an aluminum motor base, so the motr is
susspended nicely.
Anyway...... it is bolted to the plastic bucket lid.

The pumps sucks up the water from the bucket, via a plastic hose,
on the pump output side: I installed a "T" fitting , one side goes to
the torch, the other side of the " T " is a hort hose goes back to the
bucket at the nd of the hose is a simple compressor water drain style
drain petcock.
It's purpose ; it dumps about half the water volume and pressure.
With the twist/adjustment of the petcock valve volume and pressure to
the torch can be adjusted.

From the torch water return line, I installed 2 clear plastic hose
one is slightly larger than the other,
the larger hose is a short hose pushed through the bucket lid.

this way there is always air in this hose, the return water is
****ing into this larger clear hose allowing me to see the water flow.

I don't know what pressure it runs at the torch, but there is plenty
return water flowing. the torch head is always cool,

there is no cooler or fan in this system.
I use a Thermal arc 185 TIG, the water in the bucket never got even
remotely hot.

the 1/4 HP motor is semi quiet I can still hear the water splashing.

I will snap some picture if some of you want to see it. (let me know)
acrobat ants

here it is ;

pic 1 : bucket, pump ,and return line

http://home.austin.rr.com/rideatv/pump2.jpg

picture 2 : "T" fitting on the feeder line, dump valve sits on top of
the lid

http://home.austin.rr.com/rideatv/pump1.jpg

very simple setup ,
right now it is manual-switch operated ON-OFF
I turn it off when I put the torch down.

acrobat

Great post Acrobat Ants. Yes, I would love to see [good] pictures. I
do not quite visualize return water ****ing. Otherwise, this is about
the way I would want to have it. Do you keep it running all the time
when the welder is on?

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 13:49:35 GMT, acrobat ants wrote:
[...]

From the torch water return line, I installed 2 clear plastic hose
one is slightly larger than the other,
the larger hose is a short hose pushed through the bucket lid.

this way there is always air in this hose, the return water is
****ing into this larger clear hose allowing me to see the water flow.

I don't know what pressure it runs at the torch, but there is plenty
return water flowing. the torch head is always cool,

there is no cooler or fan in this system.
I use a Thermal arc 185 TIG, the water in the bucket never got even
remotely hot.

the 1/4 HP motor is semi quiet I can still hear the water splashing.

I will snap some picture if some of you want to see it. (let me know)

acrobat ants

I will keep it there for a while..... till some other pictures need
room (and force it out of my 5MB space the ISP gives me.

see if you can copy it to your hard drive, or capture it as a snap
shot.
no worries tho........ it will be there for a while....

PS: added some notes to picture pump 1

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 15:12:25 GMT, Ignoramus21085
wrote:

Very nice. Thank you. I will keep your post in my archive and will
refer to it when I start working on my own cooler. Can you keep the
pictures on your site, thanks.

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 15:00:43 GMT, acrobat ants wrote:
[...]

From the torch water return line, I installed 2 clear plastic hose
one is slightly larger than the other,
the larger hose is a short hose pushed through the bucket lid.

this way there is always air in this hose, the return water is
****ing into this larger clear hose allowing me to see the water flow.

I don't know what pressure it runs at the torch, but there is plenty
return water flowing. the torch head is always cool,

there is no cooler or fan in this system.
I use a Thermal arc 185 TIG, the water in the bucket never got even
remotely hot.

the 1/4 HP motor is semi quiet I can still hear the water splashing.

I will snap some picture if some of you want to see it. (let me know)

acrobat ants

A quick question, what kind of hose did you use for high pressure
side.

well .....as you can see that black hose is the torch water feed line
which came with my torch, this hose connects directly to the "T"
fitting which comes right out of the pump, so there is no hose in
between.
on the other side of the "T" 9the green hose to the dump valve) is
just a plain vinyl hose, 1/4" or 3/8 I think.

Do you plug your torch into the water coller itself (bypassing the
solenoid on the welding machine)?

yes , mine TIG does not have a water solonoid.

thanks

Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 08:45 PM
need hot water FAST PV Home Repair 38 January 30th 04 01:15 AM
Why do gas water heaters fail? I-zheet M'drurz Home Repair 40 January 12th 04 09:59 PM