Steven E. Eyrse

Default Pans for a small Hydraulic press

Looking for some suggested ways to build a small press out of scrap
steel and a bottle jack. Need to rebuild a water pump for '35 Buick.
I know I could go to a shop but for about the same cost I could build
my own press ( I think ) and then have one for other projects.

Thanks for any leads.

Steve E.
DeepDiver

"Steven E. Eyrse" wrote in message
Looking for some suggested ways to build a small press out of scrap
steel and a bottle jack. Need to rebuild a water pump for '35 Buick.
I know I could go to a shop but for about the same cost I could build
my own press ( I think ) and then have one for other projects.

These days, the cheapest solution is usually to go out and buy a Chinese
import press. Look at what's available from places like Harbor Freight. It
will likely cost more in raw materials to build your own (and more so after
you factor in your time). Besides the steel channel and angle, and the
bottle jack, you will need return springs, press plates, fasteners, pins,
etc.

But if you happen to have all the material on hand and are in search of a
project to occupy your time, you can build one. I'd use a commercial unit as
a model. Just be very careful with your design and your construction
methods: a loaded press under multiple tons of pressure is like a bomb
waiting to explode!

- Michael

JWho

"DeepDiver" wrote in message
[...]

Hi. I would like to second that suggestion. I recently bought a shop press
from Harbor Freight. It won't hurt to look around and see what they have to
offer. My local store had a 12 ton press on sale for $120, I think it was.
I have no clue as to how many tons of force one needs to rebuild a water
pump, so that may not meet your needs. They also had a six ton press, as
well. www.harborfreight.com

I hope this helps.

SomeBody

On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 20:25:40 +0000, Steven E. Eyrse wrote:

Looking for some suggested ways to build a small press out of scrap
steel and a bottle jack. Need to rebuild a water pump for '35 Buick.
I know I could go to a shop but for about the same cost I could build
my own press ( I think ) and then have one for other projects.

Thanks for any leads.

Steve E.

I recently put together a diesel genset and had some 4" channel left over
from the frame I built. I was trying to figure out what to do with the
remaining channel, shop press came to mind.

I looked at numerous models, there is A-frame style and the H-frame (?)
model. I choose the latter. Mine is a floor model, about 5ft high and
about 22" wide, inside the uprights. I am using a 20 ton bottle jack.
Drilling all those holes was a pain, 36 ea. 1" holes. You have to make
sure they are all lined up properly, lucky for me I have a background in
woodworking, so I made myself a jig and had them knocked out in no time.
I used a 1" metal cutting hole saw. Did a few trial holes using a step
drilling technique to the 1", would of taken to long to complete.

I have everything cut, drilled and am ready to start the welding of the
upper head assembly. I am using 2 pieces of 1/2 plate (total of 1" thick)
where the top of the bottle jack will be located and a piece of the 4"
channel will support the bottom of the jack. A 2" dia S.S rod will be
screwed onto the bottom of the channel and be the ram.

A piece of 2" pipe is welded to the upper 1" plate to keep the bottle jack
in place.

Hope to finish it soon, cant wait to -PRESS- it into action!

--
A7N8X-Deluxe, AMD XP2500+ (Un-locked)
2x256mb Crucial PC3200 DDR ram

Steven E. Eyrse

These days, the cheapest solution is usually to go out and buy a Chinese
import press. Look at what's available from places like Harbor Freight. It
will likely cost more in raw materials to build your own (and more so

after
you factor in your time). Besides the steel channel and angle, and the
bottle jack, you will need return springs, press plates, fasteners, pins,
etc.

After reading all.
Thanks by the way.

The Harbor Freight way is the answer. for $69 I can get a 6 ton which
will be enough for anything I need to do myself. I can't buy a 6 ton
bottle jack for that. Pep Boys did have a 20 for $ 30.00 but that
was just the jack. Also as others have said " getting all the holes to
line up " .. Well why go to the trouble if you can get a " kit " .

Shop time to do what I want is going to cost about $70.00 .. I
figured $ 80 as I had the rebuild kit bought at a swapmeet years ago
for a couple of bucks. Then as I said I'll still have the press to
use on other projects.

Steve E.

Art

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 06:42:03 GMT, Steven E. Eyrse
wrote:

[...]

Steve,
Here is a coupon that might be of interest if you are buying from a
HF store (as oppossed to online) :

http://ww2.harborfreightusa.com/show...eid=214&email=

Art

DeepDiver

"Steven E. Eyrse" wrote in message

The Harbor Freight way is the answer. for $69 I can get a 6 ton
which will be enough for anything I need to do myself.

I'd recommend you go with the 12 ton at a minimum. Not only will the extra
capacity come in handy (believe me, you'll always come across a job where
you'll wish you had a larger or more powerful machine), but for most tasks
you'll be able to work standing up (whereas you'll be crouching/sitting on
the floor to work with the 6 ton unit). Also, the short 6 ton presses are
worthless if you have to press something with a long shaft, like pressing a
wheel bearing onto an axle.

Harbor Freight has a 12 ton press for $135:

You might be able to get it cheaper if you're willing to wait for it to go
on sale (as they often do).

Another source is Northern Tool, which has a similar 12 ton press for $100:

http://tinyurl.com/dg4n9

(I have no idea what their shipping is like though).

Actually, the first place I'd start looking is in the local tool shops in
your area (I don't know if HF has a local outlet near you).

Good luck,
Michael

BillP

).

Another source is Northern Tool, which has a similar 12 ton press for $100:

http://tinyurl.com/dg4n9

(I have no idea what their shipping is like though).

Actually, the first place I'd start looking is in the local tool shops in
your area (I don't know if HF has a local outlet near you).

Good luck,
Michael

Hmmm... Went to the Northern Tool site, noted their contact phone number
and looked up the area code 592.... it's in South America! Guyana....
MORE outsourcing of labor it seems.
Bill
Spehro Pefhany

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 08:08:30 -0700, the renowned BillP
wrote:

).

Another source is Northern Tool, which has a similar 12 ton press for $100:

http://tinyurl.com/dg4n9

(I have no idea what their shipping is like though).

Actually, the first place I'd start looking is in the local tool shops in
your area (I don't know if HF has a local outlet near you).

Good luck,
Michael

Hmmm... Went to the Northern Tool site, noted their contact phone number
and looked up the area code 592.... it's in South America! Guyana....
MORE outsourcing of labor it seems.
Bill

592 is the *country code* for Guyana. 952 is an area code in frigid
Burnsville, Minnesota USofA.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Don Foreman

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 11:28:15 -0400, Spehro Pefhany
wrote:

Hmmm... Went to the Northern Tool site, noted their contact phone number
and looked up the area code 592.... it's in South America! Guyana....
MORE outsourcing of labor it seems.
Bill

592 is the *country code* for Guyana. 952 is an area code in frigid
Burnsville, Minnesota USofA.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

C'mon, Spef, Burnsville is SOUTH Minneapolis! The compensation
for our challenging climate is that we have BOTH Northern Tool and
Harbor Freight to visit with our trucks and creditcards -- no
shipping!

Spehro Pefhany

wrote:

Hmmm... Went to the Northern Tool site, noted their contact phone number
and looked up the area code 592.... it's in South America! Guyana....
MORE outsourcing of labor it seems.
Bill

592 is the *country code* for Guyana. 952 is an area code in frigid
Burnsville, Minnesota USofA.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

C'mon, Spef, Burnsville is SOUTH Minneapolis! The compensation
for our challenging climate is that we have BOTH Northern Tool and
Harbor Freight to visit with our trucks and creditcards -- no
shipping!

It's enough to make you want to throw your hat up in the air or
something. ;-)

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Steven E. Eyrse

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 07:12:37 GMT, Art
wrote:

Steve,
Here is a coupon that might be of interest if you are buying from a
HF store (as oppossed to online) :

http://ww2.harborfreightusa.com/show...eid=214&email=

Art

Thanks Art. And I think the 12 ton may just be the way.

Steve E.
BillP

BillP wrote:
).

Another source is Northern Tool, which has a similar 12 ton press for
$100:

http://tinyurl.com/dg4n9

(I have no idea what their shipping is like though).

Actually, the first place I'd start looking is in the local tool shops
in your area (I don't know if HF has a local outlet near you).

Good luck,
Michael

Hmmm... Went to the Northern Tool site, noted their contact phone number
and looked up the area code 592.... it's in South America! Guyana....
MORE outsourcing of labor it seems.
Bill

Jeesh... I googled the "592 area code" and got the Guyana thing...
I sure missed that one and offer appologies!! Thanks Spehro
Bill
Steven E. Eyrse

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 16:39:39 GMT, Steven E. Eyrse
wrote:

Steve,
Here is a coupon that might be of interest if you are buying from a
HF store (as oppossed to online) :

http://ww2.harborfreightusa.com/show...eid=214&email=

Well it all worked out just slick. The 12 ton was on sale when I got
to the store for $109 $25 off normal. Then with your cupon it took
another $20 off. So the unit only came to $ 80.00. Picked it up at
12:30 had it working by 2:00 waterpump rebuilt and everything put away
by 4:30 . It has been a good day.

Thanks all .

Steve E.
JWho

wrote:

Steve,
Here is a coupon that might be of interest if you are buying from a
HF store (as oppossed to online) :

http://ww2.harborfreightusa.com/show...eid=214&email=

Well it all worked out just slick. The 12 ton was on sale when I got
to the store for $109 $25 off normal. Then with your cupon it took
another $20 off. So the unit only came to $ 80.00. Picked it up at
12:30 had it working by 2:00 waterpump rebuilt and everything put away
by 4:30 . It has been a good day.

Thanks all .

Steve E.

Hey, all right! Congratulations.