Default Cutting heating costs and water heater

I am interested in building a waste oil wood burner or something that
would but my propane usage. I dont have a basement. I have an attached
garage with acess to my crawl space. It has acess to my water heater
too.

Does anyone have any plans or ideas on building such a thing?

Rex B

wrote:
I am interested in building a waste oil wood burner or something that
would but my propane usage. I dont have a basement. I have an attached
garage with acess to my crawl space. It has acess to my water heater
too.

Does anyone have any plans or ideas on building such a thing?

I have a woodstove that came with my shop. It's a 55-gallon drum on it's
side, legs welded on, stack at one end, hinged half-lid at the other
with a handle and a place for a pin to keep it closed. There is also a
stub of 4x4 square tube below the door, with a cover on a piece of
allthread to adjust the air intake. Works great. I have added a steel
rack above it for storing bulk steel. The heated steel also stores the
heat from the stove. This thing works well to burn any shop waste,
including oil-soaked newspapers and whatever scrap wood or brush I don't
want to bur in the LR fireplace.
My next project is to add waste-oil feed to this. I inted to run
copper tubing from my WO barrel to a point below the heater access door
(half-lid). I'll also run shop air, and combine fittings so the oil tees
into the shop airstream and makes a venturi suction. Ball valves to
adjust each. From there a short piece of steel tube in a hole drilled in
the barrel so it sprays atomized oil lengthwise and up into the barrel.
Start the fire with the usual scrap and shop waste, then add in air and
oil according to how much heat you want to generate.
It's still 94 degrees here, so I'm not pressed to get on with it G

Rex B
Fort Worth
Leo Lichtman

wrote: (clip) Does anyone have any plans or ideas on
building such a thing?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Have you considered solar?

Gunner

On 19 Oct 2005 08:12:32 -0700, wrote:

I am interested in building a waste oil wood burner or something that
would but my propane usage. I dont have a basement. I have an attached
garage with acess to my crawl space. It has acess to my water heater
too.

Does anyone have any plans or ideas on building such a thing?

http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_...earth/me4.html

for torturing the cat." Gunner

That would not work for inside a house though would it?

Leo Lichtman

wrote in message
oups.com...
That would not work for inside a house though would it?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Dunno which of the posts you meant to reply to, so I will assume it was
mine-- solar water heater. The solar panels are placed on the roof. The
rest of the system can be distributed where it will fit. I have two 80 gal
holding tanks in the walk space under the house. Water comes from the main
line to the holding tanks, and then to the gas-fired water heater. Any
temperature rise the solar panels can create is that much less gas I have to
use.

I found a reference to using waste oil somewhere on the internet. The
specifics were in a book an pottery. I don't remember the name of the
book off hand, but our local library had the book. If you can't google
it up from that, let me know and I will find it.

Dan

Karl Vorwerk

I used to have that book. It was on building kilns. Instead of spraying the
oil they used a hot plate burner. The oil dripped on what became a red hot
steel plate and vaporized. Might be three plates as that's what comes to
mind. I used that book and my physics book to design and build and electric
furnace to melt brass. It worked very well.
Karl

oups.com...