Rex B

Default Cutting heating costs and water heater

wrote:
I am interested in building a waste oil wood burner or something that
would but my propane usage. I dont have a basement. I have an attached
garage with acess to my crawl space. It has acess to my water heater
too.

Does anyone have any plans or ideas on building such a thing?

I have a woodstove that came with my shop. It's a 55-gallon drum on it's
side, legs welded on, stack at one end, hinged half-lid at the other
with a handle and a place for a pin to keep it closed. There is also a
stub of 4x4 square tube below the door, with a cover on a piece of
allthread to adjust the air intake. Works great. I have added a steel
rack above it for storing bulk steel. The heated steel also stores the
heat from the stove. This thing works well to burn any shop waste,
including oil-soaked newspapers and whatever scrap wood or brush I don't
want to bur in the LR fireplace.
My next project is to add waste-oil feed to this. I inted to run
copper tubing from my WO barrel to a point below the heater access door
(half-lid). I'll also run shop air, and combine fittings so the oil tees
into the shop airstream and makes a venturi suction. Ball valves to
adjust each. From there a short piece of steel tube in a hole drilled in
the barrel so it sprays atomized oil lengthwise and up into the barrel.
Start the fire with the usual scrap and shop waste, then add in air and
oil according to how much heat you want to generate.
It's still 94 degrees here, so I'm not pressed to get on with it G

Rex B
Fort Worth