Jeff Wisnia

Default A Metalworking Term I never Knew Before

Today's "A Word a Day"* email was this one:

************************************************** **************

This week's theme: eponyms (words coined after people's names).

Vulcanian (vul-KAY-nee-uhn) adjective

Relating to a volcanic eruption; volcanic.

Relating to metalworking.

The word is coined after Vulcan, the god of fire and metalworking in
Roman mythology. Other terms derived from his name are volcano and
vulcanization, the process of treating rubber with sulfur and heat to
make it more durable.

************************************************** **************
I sort of remembered Vulcan was the god of fire, but that metalworking
part was news to me.

So, I guess we could call ourselves vulcanians. Sounds very much like
something from Star Trek, doesn't it?

Jeff

* "A Word a Day" is an interesting site which offers free subscriptions
that send you emails defining unusual words and describing their
origins. I enjoy them:

http://wordsmith.org/awad/sub.html

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Don Foreman

************************************************* ***************

This week's theme: eponyms (words coined after people's names).

Vulcanian (vul-KAY-nee-uhn) adjective

Relating to a volcanic eruption; volcanic.

Relating to metalworking.

The word is coined after Vulcan, the god of fire and metalworking in
Roman mythology. Other terms derived from his name are volcano and
vulcanization, the process of treating rubber with sulfur and heat to
make it more durable.

No no no, it is a neologism coined from Vulgar and Canadian -- a
rather rare bird but not entirely unknown...
Ernie Leimkuhler

In article ,
Jeff Wisnia wrote:

[...]

I prefer the italian word for blacksmith "Ferrari"

--
"I love deadlines, especially the wooshing sound they make as
they fly by" - Douglas Adams
jim rozen

In article , Ernie
Leimkuhler says...

I prefer the italian word for blacksmith "Ferrari"

An erronious translation. The *real* one is "Ducati."

Jim

please reply to:
Randy Replogle

wrote:

....the process of treating rubber with sulfur and heat to
make it more durable.

I remember seeing my dad patch tire inner tubes back in the early
60's. The patch was a thin metal "piece" with the patch on one side
and a flammable material on the other. It was clamped over the hole
with the patch side against the inner tube and the flamable material
was ignited with a match. This adhered the patch to the tube and was
called "vulcanizing".
Randy

T.Alan Kraus

jim rozen wrote:
In article , Ernie
Leimkuhler says...

I prefer the italian word for blacksmith "Ferrari"

An erronious translation. The *real* one is "Ducati."

Jim

That, my friend, translates to 'dollars'

cheers
T.Alan
Leo Lichtman

"Randy Replogle" wrote: (clip) This adhered the patch to the tube and was
called "vulcanizing".
^^^^^^^^^^^^
The process was "vulcanizing," but we called them "hot patches."

Leo Lichtman

"jim rozen" wrote: An erronious translation. The *real* one is "Ducati."
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
So, the, tell me what a desmodromic anvil would look like.

jim rozen

In article , Leo
Lichtman says...
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
So, then, tell me what a desmodromic anvil would look like.

Don't know what it would look like, but I'm sure it would real
expensive and built like a ship in a bottle!

Jim

please reply to:
Jeff Wisnia

wrote:

...the process of treating rubber with sulfur and heat to

make it more durable.

I remember seeing my dad patch tire inner tubes back in the early
60's. The patch was a thin metal "piece" with the patch on one side
and a flammable material on the other. It was clamped over the hole
with the patch side against the inner tube and the flamable material
was ignited with a match. This adhered the patch to the tube and was
called "vulcanizing".
Randy

I remeber those too, and I don't think they're around any more.

I also remember when tire blowouts were far more commonplace than they
are now.

My dad's idea of heaven was a place where as you entered one of St.
Peter's flunkeys handed you a set of four brand new "Goodyear Lifeguard"
tires and tubes.

Those beasts had a second inner tube so that if the main one blew out
the backup one kept you from swerving into oblivion.

Here's a radio commercial for them, probably from near the end or just
after WWII:

http://www3.telus.net/public/xerog/goodyear.mp3

The references to "today's maximum speeds of 35 MPH" and "not rationed"
sound like holdovers from WWII. IIRC petroleum supply wasn't the major
reason for gas rationing then. Rather it was because we hadn't much of a
synthetic rubber capability and the Japanese had occupied the places we
got much of out natural rubber from. Rationing gas had the direct effect
of reducing the number of tires needed for civilian autos.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Don Bruder

wrote:

[...]

Makes sense, sort of... Until you consider that both gas AND tires were
rationed.

When she died, one of the many interesting tidbits that my grandmother
was found to have collected over the years was a partially used up,
clearly WWII-vintage booklet of ration tickets. Among the items I can
remember it containing tickets for were sugar, nylons, gasoline, tires,
coffee, and a box of .30-30 shells.

--
Don Bruder - - New Email policy in effect as of Feb. 21, 2004.
See http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd/main/contact.html for full details.
Roger Shoaf

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
Today's "A Word a Day"* email was this one:

snip
* "A Word a Day" is an interesting site which offers free subscriptions
that send you emails defining unusual words and describing their
origins. I enjoy them:

http://wordsmith.org/awad/sub.html

Jeff,

You SOB, the last thing I need is to subscribe to another one of these
things but this has not stopped me from subscribing to one more that you
suggested.

To get even for this temptation, I shall tempt you with similar inbox
clogging freebie subscriptions for the verbivore.

http://www.askoxford.com/contactus/wotd/
http://register.yourdictionary.com/cgi-bin/register.cgi
http://www.startsampling.com/sm/wod/register.iphtml
http://www.wordorigins.org/newsltr.htm

--
Roger Shoaf

If knowledge is power, and power corrupts, what does this say about the
Congress?

Jeff Wisnia

Don Bruder wrote:

wrote:

[...]

You could be correct, but I know the rubber part is true, you couldn't
legally buy a new tire without begging the ration board for permission
and giving them affidavits from not one, but two, repair shops that your
old tire was irreparable. The used tire market went through the roof
during WWII.

Here's a bit of nostalgia on the rubber tire part:

http://media.nara.gov/media/images/19/5/19-0402a.gif

And, "Straight Dope" concurs with my memories of those times:

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a1_382b.html

Peace,

Jeff

When she died, one of the many interesting tidbits that my grandmother
was found to have collected over the years was a partially used up,
clearly WWII-vintage booklet of ration tickets. Among the items I can
remember it containing tickets for were sugar, nylons, gasoline, tires,
coffee, and a box of .30-30 shells.

All I've got left is my mom's little black change purse full of red and
blue dime sized fibre tokens ("ration points"). Blue ones for butter and
other stuff, red ones for meat.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Unknown

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 00:51:25 -0400, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

,;Don Bruder wrote:
,; In article ,
,; Jeff Wisnia wrote:
,;
,;
,;Randy Replogle wrote:
,;
,;
,;On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 00:10:17 -0400, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:
,;
[...]

"Straight dope" forgot about the "T" stamp which were for commercial
trucks. How do I know? My father had a bulk gas delivery dealership
for a major oil company. We had mountains of those ration stamps piled
on the table from the gas stations and farmers.

Unfortunately we burned the leftovers after WII.

Jeff Wisnia

Roger Shoaf wrote:

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message

Today's "A Word a Day"* email was this one:

snip

* "A Word a Day" is an interesting site which offers free subscriptions
that send you emails defining unusual words and describing their
origins. I enjoy them:

http://wordsmith.org/awad/sub.html

Jeff,

You SOB,

My mother never saw the irony in her calling me that.....

snipped

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia