Jeff Wisnia

Default A Metalworking Term I never Knew Before

Today's "A Word a Day"* email was this one:

************************************************** **************

This week's theme: eponyms (words coined after people's names).

Vulcanian (vul-KAY-nee-uhn) adjective

Relating to a volcanic eruption; volcanic.

Relating to metalworking.

The word is coined after Vulcan, the god of fire and metalworking in
Roman mythology. Other terms derived from his name are volcano and
vulcanization, the process of treating rubber with sulfur and heat to
make it more durable.

************************************************** **************
I sort of remembered Vulcan was the god of fire, but that metalworking
part was news to me.

So, I guess we could call ourselves vulcanians. Sounds very much like
something from Star Trek, doesn't it?

Jeff

* "A Word a Day" is an interesting site which offers free subscriptions
that send you emails defining unusual words and describing their
origins. I enjoy them:

http://wordsmith.org/awad/sub.html

--
Jeffry Wisnia