AL

Default Crimping large cable lugs without a crimper

On a related note, just how are you supposed to strip (ie. remove insulation
from) these large cables? I've seen strippers up to 8 gauge, but nothing
larger. I can't believe a utility knife is the proper tool.

Don Murray

Here are two that I like to use.

http://www.brenco-inc.com/catalog/ripleystrip/u6.jpg

http://www.brenco-inc.com/catalog/ripleystrip/u11.jpg

Don

AL wrote:
On a related note, just how are you supposed to strip (ie. remove insulation
from) these large cables? I've seen strippers up to 8 gauge, but nothing
larger. I can't believe a utility knife is the proper tool.

carl mciver

"AL" wrote in message
| On a related note, just how are you supposed to strip (ie. remove
insulation
| from) these large cables? I've seen strippers up to 8 gauge, but nothing
| larger. I can't believe a utility knife is the proper tool.

Works fine. Just mind what you're doing. Use a very sharp blade (I
always start with a brand new blade,) score the insulation and then rip it
open. If that isn't enough, cut it deeper. My favorite thing is to score
the insulation around circumferentially (sp?) first then bend the wire until
it breaks. Once that's loose, pull it off. If necessary I'll score into
the slug longways, but the idea is that when you pull it off, the strands
are clean and still lay in place.
Some folks cut it away like they were sharpening a pencil, but they make
sure the blade angle is such that the edge won't cut into the metal when it
gets there. The standards I have to work to won't allow that because of the
potential for error on critical lengths.

Don Murray

carl mciver wrote:
My favorite thing is to score
the insulation around circumferentially (sp?) first then bend the wire until
it breaks. Once that's loose, pull it off. If necessary I'll score into
the slug longways, but the idea is that when you pull it off, the strands
are clean and still lay in place.
Some folks cut it away like they were sharpening a pencil, but they make
sure the blade angle is such that the edge won't cut into the metal when it
gets there. The standards I have to work to won't allow that because of the
potential for error on critical lengths.

I've always been taught to never score around the circumference of wire
with a knife, by hand. When I strip wire with a knife, I do it similar
to sharpening a pencil, but I use a skinning knife and not a utility
knife. My preferred skinning knife is this one.

http://www.buckinghammfg.com/linemen/opsk.html

Th only time it's OK to ring a wire, is when you are stripping
semiconductor off of poly and you use a tool called a banana stripper.
Here is a page of cable preparation tools.

http://www.brenco-inc.com/catalog/ri...ip/default.htm

Don

DoN. Nichols

According to Don Murray :

AL wrote:
On a related note, just how are you supposed to strip (ie. remove insulation
from) these large cables? I've seen strippers up to 8 gauge, but nothing
larger. I can't believe a utility knife is the proper tool.

Here are two that I like to use.

http://www.brenco-inc.com/catalog/ripleystrip/u6.jpg

http://www.brenco-inc.com/catalog/ripleystrip/u11.jpg

Those look nice -- but rather specialized to given gauge wire.
I have one which I particularly like which has a spring-loaded V cradle
for the wire with insulation, and a penetrating knife blade with an
adjustable depth stop, which will cut all the way through the insulation
(or ideally -- almost all the way though, but not quite), and then a
press of a button will rotate the knife blade to parallel to the wire's
axis, so when you pull it off the end, it also slits the insulation down
to the end, making it easier to peel off. It also works well on
multi-conductor cables, such as you would use for feeding the
three-phase motor on your lathe or mill.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Don Murray

DoN. Nichols wrote:
According to Don Murray :

AL wrote:

[...]

I've also used ones like that, and some of that style after you've
ringed the wire, instead of turning the blade a full 90 degrees to be
parallel to the wire, you can just turn it 10 or 15 degrees, spin the
tool around the wire, cutting a spiral to the end of the wire, which
peels off like a pigtail. Much easier on larger wire.

Don

carl mciver

"Wayne Cook" wrote in message
| On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 21:46:21 +0000 (UTC), Christopher Tidy
| wrote:
SNIP

| I've always been taught to never score around the circumference of wire
| with a knife, by hand. When I strip wire with a knife, I do it similar
| to sharpening a pencil, but I use a skinning knife and not a utility
| knife. My preferred skinning knife is this one.
|
| http://www.buckinghammfg.com/linemen/opsk.html
|
| Th only time it's OK to ring a wire, is when you are stripping
| semiconductor off of poly and you use a tool called a banana stripper.
| Here is a page of cable preparation tools.
|
| http://www.brenco-inc.com/catalog/ri...ip/default.htm
|
| Don
|
| So what's wrong with cutting circumferentially? As Carl implies, you
| don't have to cut right through the insulation. Just cut it enough that
| a bit of flexing will snap the insulation. As far as I can see it's the
| neatest way, and I haven't experienced ill effects.

I did say score, and didn't say cut. With a sharp knife you will always
be able to use the same pressure to score the same amount. With a dull
knife you never know what you'll get. Had this arguement a number of times,
with folks who ought to know better.
I've used the insulation cutting tools. Problem is, when you're dealing
with tight fitting insulation, you still have to score it longways, and
can't always tell for sure if you're stripping it exactly the right length
or aren't spiraling the cut around the wire, a major annoyance for me. I
also rarely strip the same kind of wire on a regular basis (usually on an
emergent sort of thing) that I won't even attempt to try and keep all the
strippers and settings on hand for all the types I would do, when a single
pocketknife does the job (actually, I really like the Stanley 10-049 with
the 11-041 blade, not the one it comes with. So sharp it was scary, and it
locks open.)

| As long as you're careful to not nick the conductor there's nothing
| wrong. But most electricians are in a hurry and would cut into the
| conductor when doing that. Thus they're taught to do it the other way.
|
| I noticed that the local electric guys use a linoleum knife for
| there stripping and do it like sharpening a pencil.

The keys are sharp blade and the angle must be the right one to cut into
the insulation but not allow the edge to cut into the strands. I think the
linoleum knives have a single sided edge, unlike most knives, correct? That
might be part of the reason they use it.

| Wayne Cook
| Shamrock, TX
| http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook/index.htm

Wayne Cook

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 04:38:28 GMT, "carl mciver"
wrote:

"Wayne Cook" wrote in message
.. .

| I noticed that the local electric guys use a linoleum knife for
| there stripping and do it like sharpening a pencil.

The keys are sharp blade and the angle must be the right one to cut into
the insulation but not allow the edge to cut into the strands. I think the
linoleum knives have a single sided edge, unlike most knives, correct? That
might be part of the reason they use it.

That and the curved hook blade makes it easier to get around the
wire.