DanG

Default Chrome sealer??

I just finished buffing and polishing the siren from a 1959 GMC
cab over Boardman fire truck. We use it in parades. It had been
re chromed, but fingerprints really discolor it and begin to
almost look like failed chrome/rust/metal discoloration. I was
relieved that it all did buff out. It gets the prints on it
because we remove it rather than take a chance on the vandals
liking it more than we do.

What would be the best protectant?
Automotive wax.
Clear Lacquer.
Automotive clear coat.
Something else?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

william_b_noble

put a coat of clear automotive top coat on it - that will protect it from
fingerprints, etc - and you can remove it and refinish when it gets
oxidized. for a cheaper solution, I'd bet that Carnuba wax would do
"DanG" wrote in message
newsDk2f.21522$Rk5.17984@lakeread06...
I just finished buffing and polishing the siren from a 1959 GMC cab over
Boardman fire truck. We use it in parades. It had been re chromed, but
fingerprints really discolor it and begin to almost look like failed
chrome/rust/metal discoloration. I was relieved that it all did buff out.
It gets the prints on it because we remove it rather than take a chance on
the vandals liking it more than we do.

What would be the best protectant?
Automotive wax.
Clear Lacquer.
Automotive clear coat.
Something else?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

Steve W.

59.. Gee why not get an OLD truck. We run a 62 as a first responding
pumper...

Anyway on the 62 we have twin sirenlight units and the big Q. To protect
the chrome we buff it out once with Mothers and wipe it VERY clean, then
use a good paste wax. Then wait a couple hours and wax it again. The
chrome is original and still shines like new. When the truck is not in
use I made up a set of covers out of fleece lined nylon that fit the
sirens. Takes a couple seconds to pull the covers, pop the landlines and
fire her up. Also has the side benefit of making the driver check both
sides before they pull out. I would say that a pair of covers would make
your life easier. Use them when you pull the siren off.

Don't bother trying to clear coat over the chrome. Just a good coat of
wax. When you put the siren in storage you can put a coat on and not
buff it out. Then when you want to use it again, wipe it with wax and
grease remover and then buff and give it a double coat again.

--
Steve W.

"DanG" wrote in message
newsDk2f.21522$Rk5.17984@lakeread06...
I just finished buffing and polishing the siren from a 1959 GMC
cab over Boardman fire truck. We use it in parades. It had been
re chromed, but fingerprints really discolor it and begin to
almost look like failed chrome/rust/metal discoloration. I was
relieved that it all did buff out. It gets the prints on it
because we remove it rather than take a chance on the vandals
liking it more than we do.

What would be the best protectant?
Automotive wax.
Clear Lacquer.
Automotive clear coat.
Something else?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

DanG

"DanG" wrote in message
newsDk2f.21522$Rk5.17984@lakeread06...
I just finished buffing and polishing the siren from a 1959
GMC
cab over Boardman fire truck. We use it in parades. It had
been
re chromed, but fingerprints really discolor it and begin to
almost look like failed chrome/rust/metal discoloration. I was
relieved that it all did buff out. It gets the prints on it
because we remove it rather than take a chance on the vandals
liking it more than we do.

What would be the best protectant?
Automotive wax.
Clear Lacquer.
Automotive clear coat.
Something else?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

Usenet News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
120,000+ Newsgroups
----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via
Encryption =----

Thank you much. It is always nice to hear the voice of
experience.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

Dave Hinz

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 01:43:42 -0400, Steve W. wrote:
59.. Gee why not get an OLD truck. We run a 62 as a first responding
pumper...

Our '58 Chevy just came out of service; the pump needed a rebuild to
pass inspection, and we decided not to this time. It's retired to
parade duty now.

Don't bother trying to clear coat over the chrome. Just a good coat of
wax.

Agreed. The clearcoat will just peel eventually, trapping crud and
looking worse than if you had nothing there.

When you put the siren in storage you can put a coat on and not
buff it out. Then when you want to use it again, wipe it with wax and
grease remover and then buff and give it a double coat again.

I've heard that alcohol can strip wax, and I _know_ that (my) coffee
does.

Dave Hinz

Steve W.

wrote:
[...]

When 159 (the 62) started leaking out of the tank a few years ago we
decided to have some upgrades done. While the old tank was cut out the
frame got blasted and sealed, body was blasted underneath and sealed and
the pump was pulled out and rehabbed. Not cheap but the station she is
in has low doors so a new truck would be fully custom built to fit. Plus
she has one mean pump. Factory rated for 750 GPM she will pump 700 at
idle, at the last test we were putting out close to 1000 at the rating
speed for 750.... Made the new pump shaft in the shop and updated the
seals to better pellet backed instead of the old oakum rope type. Then
they dropped a nice new poly tank in. Found out that when ordered the
original company spec was goofy when it came to water fill, Truck has 1K
tank being filled through a 1" line!!!!! The dept it came from
originally was out on Long Island so they only used the tank for things
like car fires / washdowns. Working structure they used hydrants. When
we had the new poly installed we had a 2 1/2" fill installed.
The latest rig we bought has the distinction of being the fastest fire
truck in the county, the largest pump in a three county area and the
LOUDEST in cab noise level we own. It is an ALF built originally for
Ilion FD, we bought it because we needed a heavier main pump to push
water. Has a HUGE Detroit in it. It has been clocked running on the
thruway at 120 MPH, The pump is rated for 2000 GPM. BUT it only carries
500 gallons.

Don Foreman

On Sun, 9 Oct 2005 21:48:15 -0500, "DanG" wrote:

I just finished buffing and polishing the siren from a 1959 GMC
cab over Boardman fire truck. We use it in parades. It had been
re chromed, but fingerprints really discolor it and begin to
almost look like failed chrome/rust/metal discoloration. I was
relieved that it all did buff out. It gets the prints on it
because we remove it rather than take a chance on the vandals
liking it more than we do.

What would be the best protectant?
Automotive wax.
Clear Lacquer.
Automotive clear coat.
Something else?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

See http://www.everbrite.net/

I've had good luck with this stuff. Believe it or not, the preferred
method of application is to just wipe it on with a rag. It's a
nylonic coating like Nyalic, developed for NASA.
Martin H. Eastburn

Floor wax is harder - also some of the clear liquid is tough!
Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

DanG wrote:
I just finished buffing and polishing the siren from a 1959 GMC
cab over Boardman fire truck. We use it in parades. It had been
re chromed, but fingerprints really discolor it and begin to
almost look like failed chrome/rust/metal discoloration. I was
relieved that it all did buff out. It gets the prints on it
because we remove it rather than take a chance on the vandals
liking it more than we do.

What would be the best protectant?
Automotive wax.
Clear Lacquer.
Automotive clear coat.
Something else?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

Bruce L. Bergman

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 12:56:08 -0400, "Steve W."
wrote:

The latest rig we bought has the distinction of being the fastest fire
truck in the county, the largest pump in a three county area and the
LOUDEST in cab noise level we own. It is an ALF built originally for
Ilion FD, we bought it because we needed a heavier main pump to push
water. Has a HUGE Detroit in it. It has been clocked running on the
thruway at 120 MPH, The pump is rated for 2000 GPM. BUT it only carries
500 gallons.

Don't let the Blastolene Brothers hear about that one... ;-)

-- Bruce --

Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545