Steve W.

Default Chrome sealer??

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message
On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 01:43:42 -0400, Steve W.

wrote:
59.. Gee why not get an OLD truck. We run a 62 as a first responding
pumper...

Our '58 Chevy just came out of service; the pump needed a rebuild to
pass inspection, and we decided not to this time. It's retired to
parade duty now.

Don't bother trying to clear coat over the chrome. Just a good coat

of
wax.

Agreed. The clearcoat will just peel eventually, trapping crud and
looking worse than if you had nothing there.

When you put the siren in storage you can put a coat on and not
buff it out. Then when you want to use it again, wipe it with wax

and
grease remover and then buff and give it a double coat again.

I've heard that alcohol can strip wax, and I _know_ that (my) coffee
does.

Dave Hinz

When 159 (the 62) started leaking out of the tank a few years ago we
decided to have some upgrades done. While the old tank was cut out the
frame got blasted and sealed, body was blasted underneath and sealed and
the pump was pulled out and rehabbed. Not cheap but the station she is
in has low doors so a new truck would be fully custom built to fit. Plus
she has one mean pump. Factory rated for 750 GPM she will pump 700 at
idle, at the last test we were putting out close to 1000 at the rating
speed for 750.... Made the new pump shaft in the shop and updated the
seals to better pellet backed instead of the old oakum rope type. Then
they dropped a nice new poly tank in. Found out that when ordered the
original company spec was goofy when it came to water fill, Truck has 1K
tank being filled through a 1" line!!!!! The dept it came from
originally was out on Long Island so they only used the tank for things
like car fires / washdowns. Working structure they used hydrants. When
we had the new poly installed we had a 2 1/2" fill installed.
The latest rig we bought has the distinction of being the fastest fire
truck in the county, the largest pump in a three county area and the
LOUDEST in cab noise level we own. It is an ALF built originally for
Ilion FD, we bought it because we needed a heavier main pump to push
water. Has a HUGE Detroit in it. It has been clocked running on the
thruway at 120 MPH, The pump is rated for 2000 GPM. BUT it only carries
500 gallons.