Steve W.

Default Chrome sealer??

59.. Gee why not get an OLD truck. We run a 62 as a first responding
pumper...

Anyway on the 62 we have twin sirenlight units and the big Q. To protect
the chrome we buff it out once with Mothers and wipe it VERY clean, then
use a good paste wax. Then wait a couple hours and wax it again. The
chrome is original and still shines like new. When the truck is not in
use I made up a set of covers out of fleece lined nylon that fit the
sirens. Takes a couple seconds to pull the covers, pop the landlines and
fire her up. Also has the side benefit of making the driver check both
sides before they pull out. I would say that a pair of covers would make
your life easier. Use them when you pull the siren off.

Don't bother trying to clear coat over the chrome. Just a good coat of
wax. When you put the siren in storage you can put a coat on and not
buff it out. Then when you want to use it again, wipe it with wax and
grease remover and then buff and give it a double coat again.

--
Steve W.

"DanG" wrote in message
newsDk2f.21522$Rk5.17984@lakeread06...
I just finished buffing and polishing the siren from a 1959 GMC
cab over Boardman fire truck. We use it in parades. It had been
re chromed, but fingerprints really discolor it and begin to
almost look like failed chrome/rust/metal discoloration. I was
relieved that it all did buff out. It gets the prints on it
because we remove it rather than take a chance on the vandals
liking it more than we do.

What would be the best protectant?
Automotive wax.
Clear Lacquer.