T.Alan Kraus

Default Half round stock

Are there suppliers of half round stock steel ?

I need 1-1/2" half round in 3 foot lenghts. I could mill round stock,
but it's a waste of material and time if halfround where available.

cheers
T.Alan

Bandsaw and a V block?

If it were a standard rolled form, and I don't think it is, it'd
probably cost you as much as 4 or 5 lengths of round stock. Not a
whole lot of use for it out there.

Stan

granpaw

T.Alan Kraus wrote:
Are there suppliers of half round stock steel ?

I need 1-1/2" half round in 3 foot lenghts. I could mill round stock,
but it's a waste of material and time if halfround where available.

cheers
T.Alan

Hello.
You might try http://www.archirondesign.com
It's a supply house for architectural iron and I would look for "collar
strips" or something of that nature. or google for suppliers like them.
reasonably priced imo.
hope this helps.
granpaw

Steve Smith

I'm pretty sure there are suppliers, but I don't know any myself.

What might work for you is a blacksmith with an appropriately sized
power hammer. A motorized forging press would work, but would be quite a
bit slower. There would be a tooling expense to make the tool steel
half round lower die, just using a flat die for the upper in the hammer.
Then you'd be in for so much an hour. I don't think it would be too
expensive. The smith would take round bar, maybe 1 1/8" and pound it
down into the half round die.

This assumes you don't need a tremendous quantity, also that you don't
need a cold rolled finish on it. Am I close?

Blacksmiths may also be able to recommend a supplier. If you're
interested in either having someone make you the stock or me asking
around for a supplier, I'll be happy to help. Where are you at? I'm a
blacksmith.

Steve

T.Alan Kraus wrote:

Are there suppliers of half round stock steel ?

I need 1-1/2" half round in 3 foot lenghts. I could mill round stock,
but it's a waste of material and time if halfround where available.

cheers
T.Alan

spaco

Bayshore Metals Inc.
PO Box 882003
San Francisco CA 94188-2003

415-647-7981

They have both half rounds and half ovals, in addition to other shapes.

Pete Stanaitis
----------------------

T.Alan Kraus wrote:
Are there suppliers of half round stock steel ?

I need 1-1/2" half round in 3 foot lenghts. I could mill round stock,
but it's a waste of material and time if halfround where available.

cheers
T.Alan

Going Round and Round Ron Hubbard Metalworking 15 June 13th 05 10:19 PM
centering round disc ? [email protected] Metalworking 7 June 1st 05 08:07 PM
Half mask filters CandT UK diy 0 February 16th 04 11:25 AM
OT- Did the Prez lie about WMD? Gunner Metalworking 127 December 18th 03 01:36 PM