DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Half round stock (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/124146-half-round-stock.html)

T.Alan Kraus October 9th 05 05:37 PM

Half round stock

Are there suppliers of half round stock steel ?

I need 1-1/2" half round in 3 foot lenghts. I could mill round stock,
but it's a waste of material and time if halfround where available.

cheers
T.Alan

[email protected] October 9th 05 10:56 PM

Half round stock

Bandsaw and a V block?

If it were a standard rolled form, and I don't think it is, it'd
probably cost you as much as 4 or 5 lengths of round stock. Not a
whole lot of use for it out there.

Stan

Grant Erwin October 9th 05 11:55 PM

Half round stock

wrote:

Bandsaw and a V block?

If it were a standard rolled form, and I don't think it is, it'd
probably cost you as much as 4 or 5 lengths of round stock. Not a
whole lot of use for it out there.

Don't buy it, Stan. I've seen HRS half rounds in a lot of sizes, they had to
come that way from the mill. Suggest the OP contact his local steel vendor.

GWE

granpaw October 10th 05 12:19 AM

Half round stock

T.Alan Kraus wrote:
Are there suppliers of half round stock steel ?

I need 1-1/2" half round in 3 foot lenghts. I could mill round stock,
but it's a waste of material and time if halfround where available.

cheers
T.Alan

Hello.
You might try http://www.archirondesign.com
It's a supply house for architectural iron and I would look for "collar
strips" or something of that nature. or google for suppliers like them.
reasonably priced imo.
hope this helps.
granpaw

Steve Smith October 10th 05 01:06 AM

Half round stock

I'm pretty sure there are suppliers, but I don't know any myself.

What might work for you is a blacksmith with an appropriately sized
power hammer. A motorized forging press would work, but would be quite a
bit slower. There would be a tooling expense to make the tool steel
half round lower die, just using a flat die for the upper in the hammer.
Then you'd be in for so much an hour. I don't think it would be too
expensive. The smith would take round bar, maybe 1 1/8" and pound it
down into the half round die.

This assumes you don't need a tremendous quantity, also that you don't
need a cold rolled finish on it. Am I close?

Blacksmiths may also be able to recommend a supplier. If you're
interested in either having someone make you the stock or me asking
around for a supplier, I'll be happy to help. Where are you at? I'm a
blacksmith.

Steve

spaco October 10th 05 03:53 PM

Half round stock

Bayshore Metals Inc.
PO Box 882003
San Francisco CA 94188-2003

415-647-7981

They have both half rounds and half ovals, in addition to other shapes.

Pete Stanaitis