Steve Smith

Default Half round stock

I'm pretty sure there are suppliers, but I don't know any myself.

What might work for you is a blacksmith with an appropriately sized
power hammer. A motorized forging press would work, but would be quite a
bit slower. There would be a tooling expense to make the tool steel
half round lower die, just using a flat die for the upper in the hammer.
Then you'd be in for so much an hour. I don't think it would be too
expensive. The smith would take round bar, maybe 1 1/8" and pound it
down into the half round die.

This assumes you don't need a tremendous quantity, also that you don't
need a cold rolled finish on it. Am I close?

Blacksmiths may also be able to recommend a supplier. If you're
interested in either having someone make you the stock or me asking
around for a supplier, I'll be happy to help. Where are you at? I'm a
blacksmith.

Steve

T.Alan Kraus wrote:

Are there suppliers of half round stock steel ?

I need 1-1/2" half round in 3 foot lenghts. I could mill round stock,
but it's a waste of material and time if halfround where available.

cheers
T.Alan