Gunner Asch

Default 3ph Welder-RPC update

I posted before that Id made a quicky rotary phase converter for a 3
phase welder out of a 10hp 3450 rpm new motor and that it worked very
well, but was loud as hell.

Jerry Martes gave me what appears to be a 7.5hp motor, no data plate,
covered in concrete, and I fired it up yesterday. Its a 1725 rpm
motor, and it did run the welder. But...it didnt run it as well as the
10hp..and it got quite hot in only a few minutes (5) weld time. Now
granted it was 94F outside and the motor was in the sun, but it did
get rather warmish.

I put the 10hp back on, and it ran cool and the machine liked it much
better. Still sounds like a GE turbofan though..damnit.

Welder is a Airco PhaseArc 350 mig, running .035 wire at 26 volts/
100-125 amps indicated..which is considerably higher than when running
on the 10hp RPC for the "same" bead penetration and look.

Ill continue searching for a 1720 rpm 10hp motor.

Btw..if anyone in So. Cal wants to make up an 5hp RPC..I have a very
NICE old, incredibly heavy 1140 rpm (!) 5hp motor that should make a
boffo one.

Plus I have this 7.5hp motor for a 7.5hp RPC as its not going to work
for me in this application. Its hideously ugly..but it runs strong.
It would make a good RPC if you were going to tuck it away out of
sight G

Or Ill simply gang it with my existing 5 hp commercial RPC, which isnt
a bad idea at all...hummm

Gunner

Steve Smith

A couple of thoughts Gunner....

Is it obvious that the noisiness of your 10hp motor is the fan? I had a
1750 rpm 7.5HP motor as an idler with no caps (I forget if you have caps
on the motor). It was noisy. When I put caps on the phase converter, it
quieted down quite a bit.

I've sold 5hp 1140 rpm motors to blacksmiths. If you want to end up with
200-300 rpm, you can do it in one step from 1140, but you need a
jackshaft and two steps to do it from 1750rpm. This is typical for a
triphammer. Small triphammers will run on 1hp, larger need larger motors.
Steve

a bad idea at all...hummm

Gunner

Robert Swinney

Gunner, remember the pix of the little doghouse outside for a 7.5 HP idler?
There was a good reason to put it outside - noise. The caps (if you use
them) can go in a box on the inside wall adjacent to the idler.

Bob Swinney

a bad idea at all...hummm

Gunner

Gunner Asch

On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 18:15:31 -0400, Steve Smith
wrote:

A couple of thoughts Gunner....

Is it obvious that the noisiness of your 10hp motor is the fan? I had a
1750 rpm 7.5HP motor as an idler with no caps (I forget if you have caps
on the motor). It was noisy. When I put caps on the phase converter, it
quieted down quite a bit.

Ayup..its the fan. No caps as yet, running stictly unbalanced

I've sold 5hp 1140 rpm motors to blacksmiths. If you want to end up with
200-300 rpm, you can do it in one step from 1140, but you need a
jackshaft and two steps to do it from 1750rpm. This is typical for a
triphammer. Small triphammers will run on 1hp, larger need larger motors.
Steve

Ive got a number of gear reducers and vari-drives for that sort of
work.

Gunner

a bad idea at all...hummm

Gunner

Confronting Liberals with the facts of reality is very much akin to
clubbing baby seals. It gets boring after a while, but because Liberals are
so stupid it is easy work." Steven M. Barry
Gunner Asch

On Sun, 2 Oct 2005 17:32:09 -0500, "Robert Swinney"
wrote:

Gunner, remember the pix of the little doghouse outside for a 7.5 HP idler?
There was a good reason to put it outside - noise. The caps (if you use
them) can go in a box on the inside wall adjacent to the idler.

Bob Swinney

Thats what Ill probably wind up doing. Im modularizing the motor, and
the pony motor and will probably put it in an enclosure of some sort
along with the marginally less noisy 5hp commercial RPC my shop runs
off of.

Gunner

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Robert Swinney

Gunner sez:
" Thats what Ill probably wind up doing. Im modularizing the motor, and
the pony motor and will probably put it in an enclosure of some sort
along with the marginally less noisy 5hp commercial RPC my shop runs
off of."

Why don't you lose that pony motor and make a starter for your idler motor?
If you don't want to make one, use a Phase-a-Matic or equivalent static
phase converter to start your 3-phase idler motor.

wrote:

Gunner, remember the pix of the little doghouse outside for a 7.5 HP
idler?
There was a good reason to put it outside - noise. The caps (if you use
them) can go in a box on the inside wall adjacent to the idler.

Bob Swinney

Gunner

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Gunner Asch

On Mon, 3 Oct 2005 08:22:53 -0500, "Robert Swinney"
wrote:

Gunner sez:
" Thats what Ill probably wind up doing. Im modularizing the motor, and
the pony motor and will probably put it in an enclosure of some sort
along with the marginally less noisy 5hp commercial RPC my shop runs
off of."

Why don't you lose that pony motor and make a starter for your idler motor?
If you don't want to make one, use a Phase-a-Matic or equivalent static
phase converter to start your 3-phase idler motor.

Bob Swinney

Because I dont have a pile of caps, but I do have a pony motor. Cost
is a huge factor for me at the present time.

Shrug. In a perfect world...G

Gunner