Gunner Asch

On Sun, 2 Oct 2005 17:32:09 -0500, "Robert Swinney"
wrote:

Gunner, remember the pix of the little doghouse outside for a 7.5 HP idler?
There was a good reason to put it outside - noise. The caps (if you use
them) can go in a box on the inside wall adjacent to the idler.

Bob Swinney

Thats what Ill probably wind up doing. Im modularizing the motor, and
the pony motor and will probably put it in an enclosure of some sort
along with the marginally less noisy 5hp commercial RPC my shop runs
off of.

Gunner

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
.. .
I posted before that Id made a quicky rotary phase converter for a 3
phase welder out of a 10hp 3450 rpm new motor and that it worked very
well, but was loud as hell.

Jerry Martes gave me what appears to be a 7.5hp motor, no data plate,
covered in concrete, and I fired it up yesterday. Its a 1725 rpm
motor, and it did run the welder. But...it didnt run it as well as the
10hp..and it got quite hot in only a few minutes (5) weld time. Now
granted it was 94F outside and the motor was in the sun, but it did
get rather warmish.

I put the 10hp back on, and it ran cool and the machine liked it much
better. Still sounds like a GE turbofan though..damnit.

Welder is a Airco PhaseArc 350 mig, running .035 wire at 26 volts/
100-125 amps indicated..which is considerably higher than when running
on the 10hp RPC for the "same" bead penetration and look.

Ill continue searching for a 1720 rpm 10hp motor.

Btw..if anyone in So. Cal wants to make up an 5hp RPC..I have a very
NICE old, incredibly heavy 1140 rpm (!) 5hp motor that should make a
boffo one.

Plus I have this 7.5hp motor for a 7.5hp RPC as its not going to work
for me in this application. Its hideously ugly..but it runs strong.
It would make a good RPC if you were going to tuck it away out of
sight G

Or Ill simply gang it with my existing 5 hp commercial RPC, which isnt
a bad idea at all...hummm

Gunner

Confronting Liberals with the facts of reality is very much akin to
clubbing baby seals. It gets boring after a while, but because Liberals are
so stupid it is easy work." Steven M. Barry