Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Moray Cuthill

Default 3 phase welder amps question

"Ignoramus18928" wrote in message
I am confused. The nameplate on my hobart cybertig says that at 230V,
it consumes 44 amps.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Weld...r/dscf0003.jpg

Absent the power factor number, that means roughly 220*44*sqrt(3) = 16
kW power consumption.

Yet, it is a 28V, 200A welder, which means approximately 6 kW power
output.

How can I reconcile these numbers? How can it take in 16 kW and yet
only produce 6 kW? That seems awfully wasteful.

I tried to estimate what it would take, assuming more reasonable power
efficiency.

It if produces 6 kW and wastes 2 kW as heat, then it would need 8 kW.
Estimating amps, 8 kW/220/sqrt(3) = 21 amp.

This is not an idle question for me. I have 3 phase cabling that is
capable of conducting 21 amps (combo of a 12 and 10 gauge cables). For
44 amps, I would need to spend big bucks to buy 4-6 flexible cable.

Also, I can easily support 8 kW power consumption after adding an
extra idler to my RPC. 16 kW is out of my realm of possibility due to
branch circuit capacity and common sense.

Some clarification would be appreciated.

I always thought the rated input current was the peak current (ie when you
initially strike an arc), with the rated output being the continuos current?

Running Lincoln Single Phase 220V welder from generator Terry Metalworking 7 August 7th 05 12:34 AM
3 phase welders RoyJ Metalworking 15 July 9th 05 10:28 PM
Low priced ac/dc welder on ebay ( single phase ) azotic Metalworking 3 June 28th 05 08:20 AM
Re. Rotary phase converters - magic or myths Robert Swinney Metalworking 141 September 19th 04 08:07 AM
static phase converter question Charles A. Sherwood Metalworking 4 August 1st 04 12:10 AM