Pete Keillor

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 16:07:54 -0400, "Proctologically Violated©®"
wrote:

Ig,
If the output (arc) is not AC, then you proly can't put an amprobe on the
welding cable itself, unless they've come out with DC-measuring amprobes,
while I been asleep.
If they have, I sure would like one!
----------------------------
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll

Yup, I've had one for some time. Different principle, works the same.
I think it uses the Hall effect. I used it to calibrate
instrumentation on big DC drives for extruders before we went to AC
drives.

Pete Keillor

"Ignoramus12004" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 14:51:04 GMT, Ernie Leimkuhler
wrote:
In article ,
Ignoramus12004 wrote:

My welder does not have AC output, unless I am missing something very
big.

It is extremely rare to find AC output on a 3-phase, transformer based,
welding power supply.

AC is almost exclusively found on either 3-phase inverter based machines
or Single-phase transformer machines.

That makes sense. So, Ernie, what are your thoughts on this welder's
amp requirements? Just how big should the phase converter be to drive
it. Again, 200 amp tig. I posted a picture of the nameplate in my
original post.

I did run it at low settings with a 10 HP idler, but I am not sure
just what it takes to run it at full power.