Christopher Tidy

Default Restored vacuum pump

Hi all,

Just thought I'd post a couple of pictures of the vacuum pump I was
talking about last month. It's a little Edwards ED 35 two stage pump
which I found in a local laboratory's skip (dumpster) last year and have
spent a bit of time restoring. I had the motor rewound, repainted it,
stripped and cleaned the pump and fitted new springs and seals, and
mounted it on some anti-vibration feet. Now it works very sweetly and
holds its vacuum for more that a week after I switch it off. I'm
planning to use it for some experiments on electrical discharges in low
pressure gases. I'm meaning to create a web page with some pictures of
the restoration, but so far I haven't got round to it, so I thought I'd
share a couple of pictures.

Pump as found:
http://www.mythic-beasts.com/~cdt22/vp_as_found.jpg

Pump restored:
http://www.mythic-beasts.com/~cdt22/vp_restored.jpg

Enjoy,

Chris

Don Foreman

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 03:53:57 +0000 (UTC), Christopher Tidy
wrote:

[...]

Chris, what vacuum can this pump pull?
Christopher Tidy

wrote:

[...]

I think the official manufacturer's figure is of the order of 0.0001
torr if everything is working perfectly. But I haven't measured the
ultimate vacuum as I don't have a working vacuum gauge. I do have some
ancient Penning gauges and a controller I might try fixing sometime, though.

Chris

gfulton

wrote:

[...]

Try www.belljar.net for some neat vacuum experiments and information, Chris.

Garrett Fulton

Too_Many_Tools

When time permits, I would love to see those pages covering the
restoration.

Great job!! I love it when an useful piece of equipment is saved from
the jaws of the landfill.

TMT

Christopher Tidy

Try www.belljar.net for some neat vacuum experiments and information, Chris.

Garrett Fulton

Nice site. Thanks!

Chris

Several things wrong with new flat - no central heating, low hot water pressure even with water pump, noisey pump kiich UK diy 69 July 13th 05 07:36 PM
Air Conditioning Vacuum pumps? Long... [email protected] Woodturning 17 May 10th 05 03:21 PM
Almost done with my home-made vacuum press. Anyone else done one? Joe Emenaker Woodworking 15 August 8th 04 12:23 AM
Gast 0522 Vacuum Pump Rick Woodworking 2 November 29th 03 06:33 AM
How to make a vacuum kiln in 20 screwups or less. Steve Knight Woodworking 3 July 26th 03 06:12 AM