Dave Mundt

Default Dealing with Flooded Tools.

Greetings and Salutations.
A couple of years ago or so when several folks on the
rec.crafts.metalworking newsgroup were impacted by flooded shops and
machines under water, the general opinion was that the only way to get
a machine that had been flooded back to working condition was to
totally disassemble it; scrub everything down; replace all bearings;
and reassemble with new lubricant. I am proving this thesis again
with a Warn winch I just picked up on Ebay. Although it was described
as "near new", it would not free-spool when I tested it, nor would the
motor work. I have just spent a long day pulling it apart and
scrubbing down planetary gear clusters, etc. There was a real
distinct "high water mark" inside the winch and a lot of mud. No
serious damage to the gears, etc, but while the ballbearing on the
motor shaft "seemed" ok, I could tell it was gritty when I tried
turning it. Nothing to do but replace it.
At least I enjoy taking a crapped out piece of abused
equipment and making it "new" again...and it WILL be cheaper
than a new one even when I am done.
Regards
Dave Mundt

George

Anything electrical should be totally disassembled (assuming you know enough
to unplug and to discharge any capacitors first to avoid injury) and cleaned
either with distilled water or freon and thoroughly dried before
reassembling. Do not use tap water (due to minerals) or use without
cleaning...mineral deposits may create high impedance (or low) shorts
resulting in damage if powered up without cleaning. If you don't know how
to safely clean the parts, get assistance from someone who does.

.. .