Dave August

Default Question about Sebastian lathes

Any of you guys know anything about Sebastian lathes?

Do any of you guys know what kind of spindle bearings a machine like this
has?
http://www.lathes.co.uk/sebastian/page3.html

Any info would be appreciated.

Dave

Jon Elson

Dave August wrote:
Any of you guys know anything about Sebastian lathes?

Do any of you guys know what kind of spindle bearings a machine like this
has?
http://www.lathes.co.uk/sebastian/page3.html

Does the one in question really look like the one in the picture,
down to the little glass oilers? If so, then it is probably a
sleeve bearing of some sort, possibly Babbit. If the machine is a bit
newer, it almost certainly has rolling-element bearings. I think that
Sebastian had some connection with Sheldon at some point around the
1950's. The Sheldon page on Tony's lathe site says Sheldon MADE
the larger Sebastian lathes - I can't explain the Cinci, OH label
on the Sebastian, however, as Sheldon was in Chicago. If anybody
knows the background on this, I'd like to know. (John Knox would
have to know, of course.)

I have a late-model Sheldon R15-6, and it is a totally fantastic
lathe!

Jon

Dave August

Jon,

I haven't seen the machine in person yet so I can't say wether it has the
oilers or not. It does have an AC motor mounted on top in the same fashion
as that showing in the second engraving on Tonys sight, but it's obviously a
much newer motor, the lathe is also on different (newer?) style legs so...
I do have an e-mail pending with Tony to see what he has to say and I'm
trying to make an appointment to see this one.

Dave

Does the one in question really look like the one in the picture,
down to the little glass oilers? If so, then it is probably a
sleeve bearing of some sort, possibly Babbit. If the machine is a bit
newer, it almost certainly has rolling-element bearings. I think that
Sebastian had some connection with Sheldon at some point around the
1950's. The Sheldon page on Tony's lathe site says Sheldon MADE
the larger Sebastian lathes - I can't explain the Cinci, OH label
on the Sebastian, however, as Sheldon was in Chicago. If anybody
knows the background on this, I'd like to know. (John Knox would
have to know, of course.)

I have a late-model Sheldon R15-6, and it is a totally fantastic
lathe!

Jon

Jon Elson

Dave August wrote:
Jon,

I haven't seen the machine in person yet so I can't say wether it has the
oilers or not. It does have an AC motor mounted on top in the same fashion
as that showing in the second engraving on Tonys sight, but it's obviously a
much newer motor, the lathe is also on different (newer?) style legs so...
I do have an e-mail pending with Tony to see what he has to say and I'm
trying to make an appointment to see this one.

There's a Sheldon lathe group on Yahoo, and a John Knox who was the
production supervisor or something like that knows EVERYTHING about
Sheldon history, internal adjustments, weak points to be careful about,
etc. If this info about the Sheldon/Sebastian connection is right, you
will want to join that group.

Jon