Jon Elson

Dave August wrote:
Any of you guys know anything about Sebastian lathes?

Do any of you guys know what kind of spindle bearings a machine like this
has?
http://www.lathes.co.uk/sebastian/page3.html

Does the one in question really look like the one in the picture,
down to the little glass oilers? If so, then it is probably a
sleeve bearing of some sort, possibly Babbit. If the machine is a bit
newer, it almost certainly has rolling-element bearings. I think that
Sebastian had some connection with Sheldon at some point around the
1950's. The Sheldon page on Tony's lathe site says Sheldon MADE
the larger Sebastian lathes - I can't explain the Cinci, OH label
on the Sebastian, however, as Sheldon was in Chicago. If anybody
knows the background on this, I'd like to know. (John Knox would
have to know, of course.)

I have a late-model Sheldon R15-6, and it is a totally fantastic
lathe!

Jon