Bill Alliston

Default Ozone

After a month of driving with the vents wide open in my new used car, I decided that
I had to do something about the sickly smell of pine scent. (The stink was clearly
not going to just, go away on it's own.)

OK . . . . So,,, I already had a ozonator operating on my swimming pool. So I
disconnected it from the pool and jury rigged a 6-9 volt CPU fan over the air inlet
hole and drove it with one of the many power adapters that had kicking around.
Connected both the fan and the ozonator. (Appears to simply be a rectangular air
tight
box with a blue UV?? bulb inside and a half inch air inlet hole on one end and an air

outlet hole on either end.) I ran an extension cord out to the car and let the
ozonator run for about 20 hours.

At noon the next day I opened all the windows and aired the car out really well.

When I got in and took her for a test run, I couldn't believe my nose. That sickly
sweet heavy pine scent was gone and nothing else was left behind. Just a totally
neutral odor,,, NOTHING! The smell of death was gone!

Now the metal working related question! If I let this run in the background in my
shop to get rid of the smell from rancid oil etc. would it build to unsafe
concentrations of ozone. It's a fairly large room (24 x 24)

Thanks

Charles Spitzer

"Bill Alliston" wrote in message
[...]

ozone is really bad for a lot of plastics.

Leo Lichtman

"Bill Alliston" wrote: (clip) If I let this run in the background in my
shop to get rid of the smell from rancid oil etc. would it build to unsafe
concentrations of ozone. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I don't think so. Ozone is O3, which is unstable. It breaks down into O2
and a free oxygen ion, which combines with the smelly stuff, or with another
oxygen ion, to form O2. Ozone has a characteristic odor, which you can
sometimes smell around sparking electric motors and such. If you start to
notice that odor in your shop, turn off the ozonator and wait a while.

Lawrence L'Hote

"Bill Alliston" wrote in message
Now the metal working related question! If I let this run in the
background in my
shop to get rid of the smell from rancid oil etc. would it build to unsafe
concentrations of ozone. It's a fairly large room (24 x 24)

DAGS

http://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/chemi...ealth_ozo.html

....judge for yourself

larry

Jeff Wisnia

Lawrence L'Hote wrote:
"Bill Alliston" wrote in message

Now the metal working related question! If I let this run in the
background in my
shop to get rid of the smell from rancid oil etc. would it build to unsafe
concentrations of ozone. It's a fairly large room (24 x 24)

DAGS

http://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/chemi...ealth_ozo.html

...judge for yourself

larry

I hope I'm not remembering this wrong, but I believe I started hearing
about a year ago that those "Ionic Breeze" air purifiers that Sharper
Image and other shops and TV ads flog put out enough ozone to be
considered by some a health hazard. Probably the same thing would apply
to their competition's air ionizing "purifiers".

In the last few weeks I've noticed that the Ionic Breeze TV ads are
touting the fact that they now have some sort of catalytic converter on
them which, If I heard it correctly, turns the ozone back into oxygen.

Regarding your "blue bulb": Years ago some home laundry dryers had a UV
"germicide bulb" in them which looked like an automotive tail lamp bulb
and ran on low voltage. It had a filament in it and I think the glass
was a type which would pass UV.

I bought one of those bulbs about 20 years ago from an appliance parts
shop, mounted it inside a soup can shield with a doorbell transformer
and dropping resistor tacked on and used it to clear those old UV
eraseable EPROM static memory chips.

It looked sort of blueish inside when lit, the couple of times I risked
one eye and peeked at it at arms length. :-)

Thanks for the mammaries,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Glenn Ashmore

Don't run it for a long time. Ozone will eat up most plastics. Vinyl will
turn brittle rather quickly.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

[...]

Eric R Snow

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 15:42:44 -0400, Bill Alliston
wrote:

[...]

Don't do it. Besides being really reactive with rubber and many
plastics it will also react with the living tissue in your lungs. The
extra oxygen atom combines real easy with all sorts of stuff and kills
cells. This is why your pool has an ozonator. It is a good
disinfectant. I wouldn't use it in your car again if you can help it
because it will start to damage rubber items. Like door and window
seals. It is a good deodorant, as you found out. It is used to
deodorize houses after fires, dead refrigerators that leak meat juice,
cat and dog pee, etc. But the oxide layer that stops the odors is thin
and if disturbed will start to smell again. So the houses are
deodorized and then painted to seal.
ERS
Bill Alliston

Charles, Leo, Lawrence, Glenn and Eric

Thanks Guys

The ozonator was worth it's weight in gold for me as this was an 05 model car. At first I
thought it was just the stinky evergreen tree hanging on the mirror but after the car was
bought and paid for I realized that the odor was never going to come out on it's own.

The thing is that it works amazingly well and I just wanted to relay that to the group.

Now , I had done some reading and some places it says the 03 is a very safe disinfectant
and other places where it says it is dangerous. In any case I will err on the side of
safety.

Again thank you all.

wrote:

[...]

Ozone is toxic on long exposure. An oxidizing agent like SO3.
You might want to only use it periodically instead of facing consttant
exposure in your shop.
As to the car, wouldn't burning a pack of sulfur matches have done the
job easier?
MadDog

SO3 is an acid anhydride gas.
It would function in this case as an oxidizing agent just
as the ozone does.
It's a whole lot easier to get and the 'acid` smell functions
as a safety warning so you don't breath it in for too long.
I believe the toxicity is higher than the ozone, (the gas goes
into solution on the moist surfaces in your lungs, O3 produces
hydrogen peroxide, SO3 - sulfuric acid), but the amount in
question would be small and the exposure short.

MadDog

Harold and Susan Vordos

wrote in message
oups.com...
Ozone is toxic on long exposure. An oxidizing agent like SO3.
You might want to only use it periodically instead of facing consttant
exposure in your shop.
As to the car, wouldn't burning a pack of sulfur matches have done the
job easier?
MadDog\

Chuckle! You mean like using Listerine mouthwash? That stinky stuff?
Frankly, I'd rather put up with bad breath---or pine scent.

Harold

Larry Jaques

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 20:33:44 -0700, the blithe spirit "Harold and
Susan Vordos" clearly indicated:

wrote in message
roups.com...
Ozone is toxic on long exposure. An oxidizing agent like SO3.
You might want to only use it periodically instead of facing consttant
exposure in your shop.
As to the car, wouldn't burning a pack of sulfur matches have done the
job easier?
MadDog\

Chuckle! You mean like using Listerine mouthwash? That stinky stuff?
Frankly, I'd rather put up with bad breath---or pine scent.

Ewwwwwwwwwwww! You gargle with Pine-Sol?

P.S: I've always loved the smell of matches lighting. Maybe it's the
sulfur lighting up the Devil in me.

--
Never ascribe to malice that which can
be adequately explained by stupidity.
Harold and Susan Vordos

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 20:33:44 -0700, the blithe spirit "Harold and
Susan Vordos" clearly indicated:

wrote in message
roups.com...
Ozone is toxic on long exposure. An oxidizing agent like SO3.
You might want to only use it periodically instead of facing consttant
exposure in your shop.
As to the car, wouldn't burning a pack of sulfur matches have done the
job easier?
MadDog\

Chuckle! You mean like using Listerine mouthwash? That stinky

stuff?
Frankly, I'd rather put up with bad breath---or pine scent.

Ewwwwwwwwwwww! You gargle with Pine-Sol?

P.S: I've always loved the smell of matches lighting. Maybe it's the
sulfur lighting up the Devil in me.

I always looked on with disbelief when cigarette smokers would strike a
match and quickly get it to the end of their cigarette before the sulfur had
burned away. Could it be they get addicted to the burning sulfur?

As a pipe smoker (no longer), I couldn't stand the taste or smell.

Pine-Sol, the multi-use product. :-)

Harold

Larry Jaques

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 11:11:45 -0700, the blithe spirit "Harold and
Susan Vordos" clearly indicated:

Frankly, I'd rather put up with bad breath---or pine scent.

Ewwwwwwwwwwww! You gargle with Pine-Sol?

P.S: I've always loved the smell of matches lighting. Maybe it's the
sulfur lighting up the Devil in me.

I always looked on with disbelief when cigarette smokers would strike a
match and quickly get it to the end of their cigarette before the sulfur had
burned away. Could it be they get addicted to the burning sulfur?

While I love the smell, that's where it stops. I always watched that
silly stunt (being too stupid to shield it so the toxic gases could
waft away before lighting the other toxic material which you'd ingest)
in horror, too. Yuk! I'm 17 years cig-free.

As a pipe smoker (no longer), I couldn't stand the taste or smell.

Nor could I. I quickly graduated to a butane lighter.

Pine-Sol, the multi-use product. :-)

Yum! (not)

--
Never ascribe to malice that which can
be adequately explained by stupidity.
---------------
www.diversify.com -- Smart Website Design
Sunworshipper

wrote:

After a month of driving with the vents wide open in my new used car, I decided that
I had to do something about the sickly smell of pine scent. (The stink was clearly
not going to just, go away on it's own.)

OK . . . . So,,, I already had a ozonator operating on my swimming pool. So I
disconnected it from the pool and jury rigged a 6-9 volt CPU fan over the air inlet
hole and drove it with one of the many power adapters that had kicking around.
Connected both the fan and the ozonator. (Appears to simply be a rectangular air
tight
box with a blue UV?? bulb inside and a half inch air inlet hole on one end and an air

outlet hole on either end.) I ran an extension cord out to the car and let the
ozonator run

I had forgotten the experiment for three days and when I opened the
door the door panel fell squarely off and shattered on the driveway.
When the fresh air hit the interior it crystallized with pretty fuss
and all fell to the floor. While vacuuming the fluff out between the
springs of where the passenger seat was the vacuum stuck to a
cardboard cut out of a tree.

LOL, 'Honey, look I told you I'd find the source of that smell.'

Now the metal working related question!

How can I keep all the exposed metal from rusting?

Reminds me again of how I ruined the step mother's car by washing it
with 50% ZEP. Dad said to clean it very good, he didn't say I
couldn't take it down to the molecular level. ooops

Really shouldn't hurt it too much, spas survive it. I just hate 03
smell and would have been worried it would somehow sick in the car.
I'd rather die from long term chlorine smell than ozone smell.

new models of personal air purifiers Mebart Electronics Repair 60 June 6th 05 03:42 AM
Lead vs. Babbit Michael Metalworking 6 May 15th 05 10:34 AM
weld vs. solder Dominic Palazzola Metalworking 23 May 5th 05 03:00 PM
Ozone air cleaners Rob Mills Home Repair 13 March 10th 05 10:27 PM
Ozone generator to clear mold, will it clear termites too? Miki Home Ownership 2 January 8th 05 01:08 PM