Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
doo

Default NO topics

I lurk here quite a bit, and have been following the threads on Kat
and NO.
What I can't seem to understand is the fact that with a hurricane, you
KNOW it's coming. Not like an earthquake or volcanic eruption or even a
tsunami. You have ample warning. The comparison to the tsunami of
December is apples and oranges. The aftermath is comparable, yes, but
not anything else. On a side note, if you invented a way to predict
earthquakes, you'd be a billionaire, or a Nobel prize winner, or both,
depending on your desire to help humanity.
I'm not a survivalist by any means, but I have done my share of
camping. Primitive camping, that is, not in an air conditioned,
generator equipped, propane powered house-on-wheels.
I can't fathom what some of these people in NO are doing. They were
told to get out. Flee. Run for your life.
Those that stayed, well, you knew there would be no electricity,
water, or sewer.
I think if I had made the decision to stay, I would have filled every
container I could find with water. Filled the bathtub, pots, pans,
buckets..anything while the system was working. Stocked up on canned
goods, candles, heating sources.
If I hadn't secured a source of fresh water beforehand, I certainly
woudn't be on CNN stranded on the roof of a hotel, whining about no
water. Damn, you got all the water you need, just gotta make it
drinkable. Build a still, burn whatever you have to to boil it,do
something for Pete's sake. It's not like you're too busy watching TV or
playing video games, or reading your newsgroups. G
Fido, you've been a faithful companion, but as soon as I get this fire
started...
I guess the true questions for this post is have we as society become
so soft that we can't fend for ourselves anymore? Have we become too
reliant on people providing for us? Whatever happened to Basic Survival
101?