Waynemak

Default Has anyone used a parts washer for coolent pumping on a lathe

I am looking to use coolant on my lathe and mill, I was thinking of using
one of the Harbor freight parts washing tanks with pump. Has anyone done
this? I would just hook up a drain tube that would drain into the tank, that
way I could use it on the lathe and sometimes on the mill.

Harold and Susan Vordos

"Waynemak" wrote in message
I am looking to use coolant on my lathe and mill, I was thinking of using
one of the Harbor freight parts washing tanks with pump. Has anyone done
this? I would just hook up a drain tube that would drain into the tank,

that
way I could use it on the lathe and sometimes on the mill.

Certainly nothing wrong with the idea if you can rig it to work. The
biggest problem you'll have is getting the coolant to return to the tank. If
your lathe or mill aren't built for coolant, could prove quite challenging.

It's a good idea to have a back splash for your lathe. Keeping coolant
away from the chuck is virtually impossible, and it makes one hell of a
mess.

Harold

Jerry Foster

"Waynemak" wrote in message
I am looking to use coolant on my lathe and mill, I was thinking of using
one of the Harbor freight parts washing tanks with pump. Has anyone done
this? I would just hook up a drain tube that would drain into the tank,

that
way I could use it on the lathe and sometimes on the mill.

I put a pump intended for a garden fountain on a horizontal band saw I
acquired a few years back; it was cheap and it works well. But the saw
already had (most of) a cooling system on it. The pump was shot.

It is a good idea to put the pump in a nylon mesh bag to filter out the big
chunks, though...

Jerry

Martin H. Eastburn

What I have on mine is what looks like a swamp cooler water pump. Close to it,
but huskier than those I used in El Paso in the 50's. No telling what is used
there now.

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Jerry Foster wrote:
"Waynemak" wrote in message

I am looking to use coolant on my lathe and mill, I was thinking of using
one of the Harbor freight parts washing tanks with pump. Has anyone done
this? I would just hook up a drain tube that would drain into the tank,

that

way I could use it on the lathe and sometimes on the mill.

I put a pump intended for a garden fountain on a horizontal band saw I
acquired a few years back; it was cheap and it works well. But the saw
already had (most of) a cooling system on it. The pump was shot.

It is a good idea to put the pump in a nylon mesh bag to filter out the big
chunks, though...

Jerry

Gunner Asch

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 00:44:04 GMT, "Jerry Foster"
wrote:

"Waynemak" wrote in message
I am looking to use coolant on my lathe and mill, I was thinking of using
one of the Harbor freight parts washing tanks with pump. Has anyone done
this? I would just hook up a drain tube that would drain into the tank,

that
way I could use it on the lathe and sometimes on the mill.

I put a pump intended for a garden fountain on a horizontal band saw I
acquired a few years back; it was cheap and it works well. But the saw
already had (most of) a cooling system on it. The pump was shot.

It is a good idea to put the pump in a nylon mesh bag to filter out the big
chunks, though...

Jerry

Now that summer is nearly over..swamp cooler (evaporative cooler)
pumps may be coming on sale. They work very well for coolant pumps for
saws And lathes. They are intended for water so dont pump high sulpher
oil all that well if you need a large head distance but for water
based coolants..work very very well.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner

Gunner Asch

On Sat, 3 Sep 2005 07:37:51 -0400, "Waynemak"
wrote:

I assume "swamp cooler pumps" are like a good fountain pump?

E-bay search term Cooler Pump

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cooler-Pump-11000-Water-Pumps-Cooling-Evaporative_W0QQitemZ5996087768QQcategoryZ20598QQs sPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

i actually dont know what a "good fountain pump is", never having used
one.

Gunner

.. .
wrote:

"Waynemak" wrote in message
[...]

Martin H. Eastburn

That looks like a modern day - beefed up version of the ones I replaced in the 50's.
I don't think the old ones would be allowed anymore due to OSHA and a few other
laws... Open frame - almost open motor in a water bath.

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

wrote:

"Waynemak" wrote in message

[...]

Gunner Asch

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 20:49:52 -0500, "Martin H. Eastburn"
wrote:

That looks like a modern day - beefed up version of the ones I replaced in the 50's.
I don't think the old ones would be allowed anymore due to OSHA and a few other
laws... Open frame - almost open motor in a water bath.

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Most of them are indeed open motors with a simply plastic splash guard
semi protecting the wiring. Sometimes.

Gunner

wrote:

"Waynemak" wrote in message

[...]

Bruce L. Bergman

wrote:

That looks like a modern day - beefed up version of the ones I replaced in the 50's.
I don't think the old ones would be allowed anymore due to OSHA and a few other
laws... Open frame - almost open motor in a water bath.

Nope, still sold. We still use two of them.

The reason the open motors are still allowed is they are fastened in
place so the motor can't fall into the water, the body of the cooler
is grounded, and you're not supposed to be working inside the cooler
without cutting the power first. (Yeah, right, Suuuure...)

But I'd be careful using them for machine coolant, the straight
blade impeller with pretty large clearances can't put out a lot of
flow or too high a head. The average 24" lift inside a cooler is
approaching their practical limits. And it's too easy to forget
they're open and overfill the coolant tank, or splash coolant on it
and overwhelm that little drip cap.

You can get small submersible fountain pumps that will give you a
lot more flow and head (and you can't drown them accidentally) for
only a few dollars more. And wrap the whole thing in a stocking to
keep the swarf out.

-- Bruce --

Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545