Bruce L. Bergman

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 20:49:52 -0500, "Martin H. Eastburn"
wrote:

That looks like a modern day - beefed up version of the ones I replaced in the 50's.
I don't think the old ones would be allowed anymore due to OSHA and a few other
laws... Open frame - almost open motor in a water bath.

Nope, still sold. We still use two of them.

The reason the open motors are still allowed is they are fastened in
place so the motor can't fall into the water, the body of the cooler
is grounded, and you're not supposed to be working inside the cooler
without cutting the power first. (Yeah, right, Suuuure...)

But I'd be careful using them for machine coolant, the straight
blade impeller with pretty large clearances can't put out a lot of
flow or too high a head. The average 24" lift inside a cooler is
approaching their practical limits. And it's too easy to forget
they're open and overfill the coolant tank, or splash coolant on it
and overwhelm that little drip cap.

You can get small submersible fountain pumps that will give you a
lot more flow and head (and you can't drown them accidentally) for
only a few dollars more. And wrap the whole thing in a stocking to
keep the swarf out.

-- Bruce --

Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545