Karl Townsend

Default Contact Cement Remover

We've (The SO is doing all the work) got about 10 sq.ft. of 1/2" thick foam
rubber to remove on the apple packing line. It was bonded to steel with
contact cement. We're scraping 1 sq.in. at a time, its going to take forever
this way. Its inside the weight sizer and hard to get at.

Any removal suggestions?

Karl

Tom Gardner

Laquer thinner.

"Karl Townsend" remove .NOT to reply wrote
in message nk.net...
We've (The SO is doing all the work) got about 10 sq.ft. of 1/2" thick
foam rubber to remove on the apple packing line. It was bonded to steel
with contact cement. We're scraping 1 sq.in. at a time, its going to take
forever this way. Its inside the weight sizer and hard to get at.

Any removal suggestions?

Karl

DanG

Heat will make it let go. Can you use a heat gun or propane torch
on the back side of the steel? Warming from the rubber side will
not work as well. Rubber sure stinks if you get it charcoal hot,
you just want to get it really warm, like sitting out on a really
hot, sunny day. You should be able to peel the whole sheet off.
Lacquer thinner should help clean up any residue.

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"Karl Townsend" remove .NOT to
reply wrote in message
nk.net...
We've (The SO is doing all the work) got about 10 sq.ft. of 1/2"
thick foam rubber to remove on the apple packing line. It was
bonded to steel with contact cement. We're scraping 1 sq.in. at
a time, its going to take forever this way. Its inside the
weight sizer and hard to get at.

Any removal suggestions?

Karl

Bruce L. Bergman

On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 01:35:00 GMT, "Karl Townsend"
remove .NOT to reply wrote:

We've (The SO is doing all the work) got about 10 sq.ft. of 1/2" thick foam
rubber to remove on the apple packing line. It was bonded to steel with
contact cement. We're scraping 1 sq.in. at a time, its going to take forever
this way. Its inside the weight sizer and hard to get at.

Any removal suggestions?

Heat or solvent, and when it softens up you use a 4" blade wallpaper
scraper with an 18" handle to peel it up. Available at your local DIY
center, about $8 for the tool and $3 for a half-dozen spare blades.
Looks like a S/E Razor Blade Scraper on steroids, gives you the
leverage and control you need.

But see if you can take the plate out, or disassemble the sizer and
remove the chute overhead for easier access to scrape and re-line it -
no matter what you do, working on it while it's still installed deep
in the guts of a machine is going to be a ball buster. Been there,
Done (stuff like) that, have the scars...

And this time you might want to pick a less aggressive cement - use
the good cement to put a Burlap backing on the foam, then use the
special Green Removable carpet adhesive (for commercial peel-up 2'x2'
carpet squares) to attach it to the machine. Then it will come out
again without nearly the fight.

Or put a Burlap backing on the foam for strength, and screw the foam
sandwich to the machine, or wrap the burlap around the edges and
Ty-rap it on the back side. Think! ;-) There is usually a way to
make it easier the next time.

-- Bruce --

Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545

Dale Scroggins

Tom Gardner wrote:

Laquer thinner.

"Karl Townsend" remove .NOT to reply
wrote in message
nk.net...

We've (The SO is doing all the work) got about 10 sq.ft. of 1/2"
thick foam rubber to remove on the apple packing line. It was bonded
to steel with contact cement. We're scraping 1 sq.in. at a time, its
going to take forever this way. Its inside the weight sizer and hard
to get at.

Any removal suggestions?

Karl

Tuluol. Or tuluene, whichever. Lacquer thinner evaporates too fast,
and allows the contact cement to return to its original stickiness when
it evaporates. Toluol keeps it softer longer, and less sticky. And it
doesn't kill as many brain cells.

De-ice boots are glued to aircraft wings and props with contact cement.
I changed tons of them in my younger days.
Bugs

Heat gun and scraper is the way to go. Solvents just make a big, gummy
mess. Don't apply heat gun after trying solvents!!!! G
Bugs

Richard J Kinch

Karl Townsend writes:

Any removal suggestions?