RogerN

Default OT, lower priced nail gun recommendations

Any recommendations on some of the lower priced framing and finish nailers?
I prefer to buy quality name brand tools but these nail guns are mostly for
one or two projects. Any recommendations on Harbor Freight or Grizzly (or
???) low priced nail guns? Or am I better off buying name brand used,
refurbished, or eBay nailers?

Thanks!
Roger N.

SteveF

"RogerN" wrote in message
ink.net...
Any recommendations on some of the lower priced framing and finish
nailers?
I prefer to buy quality name brand tools but these nail guns are mostly
for
one or two projects. Any recommendations on Harbor Freight or Grizzly (or
???) low priced nail guns? Or am I better off buying name brand used,
refurbished, or eBay nailers?

Thanks!
Roger N.

I'm just finishing up putting down hardwood floors using the Ebay "rental"
program. Bought one in great condition and expect to get just about what I
paid for it when I resell it. If you are only going to use it for one or
two projects, that's what I'd do.

Steve.

carl mciver

"Gary Owens" wrote in message
. ..
| Pawn shop, brand name, low cost
| gary

I don't know about the pawn shops in your area, but pawn shops around
here charge damn near new for a beat up item with no case, manuals, or
warranty! The usual buyer are suckers who just think they're getting a good
deal.

RoyJ

I've bought from pawn shop, new brand name, and off brand.

I've found that the pawn shop units ALWAYS need a rebuild kit and they
still may not work quite right. Aroud here the carpenters bring their
old junk in to the place in the fall, by midwinter it is on the shelf.
My big Senco S70 framing nailer is still going strong, needed a rebuild
kit and a new drive pin. Old pin had seen way too many nails.

The off brand stuff (Harbor Freight, Campell Hausfield) works ok for a
while, parts are not stocked after a fairly short time (compared to
Senco or Bostitch) Not a bad deal for someone who wants to do a roof,
then keep the coil nailer for future projects.

Name brand are what the pros buy when they need something that goes all
day, every day. You can watch the sales, pick stuff up at a good price.

The real deal is to get something like this: I found a Senco sheathing
stapler at Home Depot. They don't sell these units, had used it to do
some displays, had it on their closeout/returns table for $42.

RogerN wrote:
Any recommendations on some of the lower priced framing and finish nailers?
I prefer to buy quality name brand tools but these nail guns are mostly for
one or two projects. Any recommendations on Harbor Freight or Grizzly (or
???) low priced nail guns? Or am I better off buying name brand used,
refurbished, or eBay nailers?

Thanks!
Roger N.

SteveF

"SteveF" wrote in message
. com...

"RogerN" wrote in message
ink.net...
Any recommendations on some of the lower priced framing and finish
nailers?
I prefer to buy quality name brand tools but these nail guns are mostly
for
one or two projects. Any recommendations on Harbor Freight or Grizzly
(or
???) low priced nail guns? Or am I better off buying name brand used,
refurbished, or eBay nailers?

Thanks!
Roger N.

I'm just finishing up putting down hardwood floors using the Ebay "rental"
program. Bought one in great condition and expect to get just about what
I paid for it when I resell it. If you are only going to use it for one
or two projects, that's what I'd do.

Steve.

And it was a Bostitch pneumatic unit - top quality.

Steve.

Rex B

RogerN wrote:
Any recommendations on some of the lower priced framing and finish nailers?
I prefer to buy quality name brand tools but these nail guns are mostly for
one or two projects. Any recommendations on Harbor Freight or Grizzly (or
???) low priced nail guns? Or am I better off buying name brand used,
refurbished, or eBay nailers?

I bought a HF finish nailer a few years ago to install floor trim in my
house. Used it quite a bit then, infrequently since. Seems to work just
fine.

Rex B
yourname

I'm just finishing up putting down hardwood floors using the Ebay "rental"
program. Bought one in great condition and expect to get just about what
I paid for it when I resell it. If you are only going to use it for one
or two projects, that's what I'd do.

Steve.

And it was a Bostitch pneumatic unit - top quality.

Steve.

This sounds like a good plan.

my only comment is to consider the price of nails, and availablility.
Stick nailers have different angles and some local lumberyards only
carry some.

i bought Bostich and am very happy, coil framing nailer and angled
finish nailer

Oh, and newer nailer are oilless, which may matter on finish projects,
no oil spots
RogerN

"SteveF" wrote in message
.com...

And it was a Bostitch pneumatic unit - top quality.

Steve.

I've been considering the Bostitch N88RH, seen some factory reconditioned
units for ~$170. I also like the Paslode cordless gas framing nailer, it
would be nice to be free from a compressor!

Thanks!
Roger

SteveF

"RogerN" wrote in message
ink.net...

"SteveF" wrote in message
.com...

And it was a Bostitch pneumatic unit - top quality.

Steve.

I've been considering the Bostitch N88RH, seen some factory reconditioned
units for ~$170. I also like the Paslode cordless gas framing nailer, it
would be nice to be free from a compressor!

Thanks!
Roger

I had a friend loan me a Paslode once and it was great. Was building a
small foot bridge in the woods which would have meant charging up my
compressor and then carrying it out or just hand nailing. Very nice. But
the downside is that they are more expensive plus you have to buy the gas
cylinders.

Steve.

Ron DeBlock

I rented a Bostich framing nailer when I built my shed. It didn't cost
much to rent for a day, and I got a quality tool.

The biggest annoyance is that nails are sold in huge boxes. I used about
200 nails from a box of 2000.

--
Ron DeBlock N2JSO
If God had meant for Man to see the sunrise,

Martin H. Eastburn

Yea - but now you have a nice box of nails neat in a row. :-)

I have a FN1 - love it - installed wood floors, bird houses (hammer would kill them...)
plan on getting a fence gun - not the size of a framer, runs #8 down IIRC.
It is in a roll configuration. Use the FN1 building bookshelves all over the house.
someday...

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Ron DeBlock wrote:
I rented a Bostich framing nailer when I built my shed. It didn't cost
much to rent for a day, and I got a quality tool.

The biggest annoyance is that nails are sold in huge boxes. I used about
200 nails from a box of 2000.

Thomas Kendrick

Wait until you see the fence gun coils. They are sold 30 coils to the
case, 300 nails to the coil. They are not sold in home centers
typically. When I loan out my fence equipment and the borrower wants
to "replace what they use", it's not feasible to do that. I just
charge them about $3 per coil used and eventually buy another case.
Pneumatic nailers are typically used for driving a lot more nails than
200 at a time.
Depending on the nail size, stick nails may come in boxes of
3000-5000. The smaller boxes of 2000-2500 are to reduce the cost of a
box of galvanized, ringshank nails that are only used in certain parts
of the project.