Jon Elson

Tim Wescott wrote:

I need to make some moderately precise pieces out of plywood (birch
model aircraft plywood). Should I just chuck a router bit up in my
mill, or is there a better bit to use?

I did a cabinet for holding CDs in maple this way. Everything came out
to about
+/- .001" accuracy, and I tapped the thing together with a rubber
mallet. The mill
probably won't spin the bit fast enough, but it should work pretty well.
There might
be a little more chipping of the edge due to this.

Jon

Tim Wescott

Default Router Bit in a Mill?

I need to make some moderately precise pieces out of plywood (birch
model aircraft plywood). Should I just chuck a router bit up in my
mill, or is there a better bit to use?

Danke.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Nick Müller

Tim Wescott wrote:

Should I just chuck a router bit up in my mill, or is there a better bit
to use?

It works. No problem. Rev up!
It also works the other way, if you use a router bit in the router on
aluminium. Supposed you use cutting oil. I did that to make radii.

Danke.

Bitte. :-)

Nick
--
Motormodelle / Engine Models:
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
Dave August

I've done wood work in my mill and rather than use as router bit I used a
BRAND NEW 4 flute running at top speed.
I figure that since the mill isn't running as fast as a router I needed more
cutting edges.
I've worked both hard and soft wood and have astounded a few cabinet makers
with what I produced.

You can do dado, dovetail, and mortise and tenon and that are EXACT.

I made a jig to do some tongue and groove work that was pretty cool too.

FWIW this was all for 1/8 scale model work.

--.- Dave