Gil HASH

Default Newbie : tool cleaning

The newbie's strange question of the day :
How to clean the iron tools,gages, caliper, sine bar and how to prevent
rust?

Tom Gardner

"Gil HASH" wrote in message
The newbie's strange question of the day :
How to clean the iron tools,gages, caliper, sine bar and how to prevent
rust?

Lots of wire brushes, used once and thrown away! Paste wax!

Randy Replogle

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 13:37:30 GMT, "Tom Gardner"
wrote:

"Gil HASH" wrote in message
The newbie's strange question of the day :
How to clean the iron tools,gages, caliper, sine bar and how to prevent
rust?

Lots of wire brushes, used once and thrown away! Paste wax!

He's a newbie so he probably doesn't get your "joke"
Randy

Gil HASH

"Gil HASH" wrote in message
.. .
The newbie's strange question of the day :
How to clean the iron tools,gages, caliper, sine bar and how to

prevent
rust?

Lots of wire brushes, used once and thrown away! Paste wax!

He's a newbie so he probably doesn't get your "joke"
Randy

Shhhhh!

Excellent! ,-)
I was deep in dictionnary to look for the differences between wire brushes
wire bushes (why throw away?) and in plus it's a joke?
I'm a french newbie and times are hard for me to discover all your tricks
but I try ;-)

Wayne Cook

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 21:00:08 +0400, "Gil HASH"
wrote:

"Gil HASH" wrote in message
.. .
The newbie's strange question of the day :
How to clean the iron tools,gages, caliper, sine bar and how to

prevent
rust?

Lots of wire brushes, used once and thrown away! Paste wax!

He's a newbie so he probably doesn't get your "joke"
Randy

Shhhhh!

Excellent! ,-)
I was deep in dictionnary to look for the differences between wire brushes
wire bushes (why throw away?) and in plus it's a joke?
I'm a french newbie and times are hard for me to discover all your tricks
but I try ;-)

He owns a wire brush factory. :-)

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook/index.htm
Harold and Susan Vordos

"Gil HASH" wrote in message

"Gil HASH" wrote in message
.. .
The newbie's strange question of the day :
How to clean the iron tools,gages, caliper, sine bar and how to

prevent
rust?

Lots of wire brushes, used once and thrown away! Paste wax!

He's a newbie so he probably doesn't get your "joke"
Randy

Shhhhh!

Excellent! ,-)
I was deep in dictionnary to look for the differences between wire brushes
wire bushes (why throw away?) and in plus it's a joke?
I'm a french newbie and times are hard for me to discover all your tricks
but I try ;-)

Don't take it personally. He's just having a little fun with you. Tom
runs a brush manufacturing business, and produces some excellent quality
products, well endorsed by readers here on RCM.

It might help to better describe your rust conditions----particularly when
you talk about gages, calipers and a sign bar. Generally rust does these
items harm, rendering them to scrap. After all, what good is a gage if it
isn't the proper size?

Harold

Gunner

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 10:00:14 -0500, Randy Replogle
wrote:

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 13:37:30 GMT, "Tom Gardner"
wrote:

"Gil HASH" wrote in message
.. .
The newbie's strange question of the day :
How to clean the iron tools,gages, caliper, sine bar and how to prevent
rust?

Lots of wire brushes, used once and thrown away! Paste wax!

He's a newbie so he probably doesn't get your "joke"
Randy

ROFLMAO!!!!!

Gunner

The two highest achievements of the human mind are the twin concepts of "loyalty" and "duty."
Whenever these twin concepts fall into disrepute -- get out of there fast! You may possibly
save yourself, but it is too late to save that society. It is doomed. " Lazarus Long
Aftershock

In article , "Tom Gardner"
says...

"Gil HASH" wrote in message
The newbie's strange question of the day :
How to clean the iron tools,gages, caliper, sine bar and how to prevent
rust?

Lots of wire brushes, used once and thrown away! Paste wax!

There are new folks on this group, asshole. Treat them like you would
treat your own friends, not some off the wall dickhead advice.

Aftershock
Tom Gardner

" There are new folks on this group, asshole. Treat them like you would
treat your own friends, not some off the wall dickhead advice.

Aftershock

God, I hope you never ask my friends how I treat THEM! ....and just WHAT
was wrong with my advice? Everybody knows that wire brushes get dull
quickly and must be resharpened by a pro or use new ones frequently.
(Aftershock, you think I'm kidding, don't you?) So, before you call
somebody an "asshole", know what you're talking about. I'm one of the best
in the whole frigging WORLD at what I do...what can you say about
YOURSELF???

oh, by the way....bite me!

JohnM

Tom Gardner wrote:
" There are new folks on this group, asshole. Treat them like you would

treat your own friends, not some off the wall dickhead advice.

Aftershock

God, I hope you never ask my friends how I treat THEM! ....and just WHAT
was wrong with my advice? Everybody knows that wire brushes get dull
quickly and must be resharpened by a pro or use new ones frequently.
(Aftershock, you think I'm kidding, don't you?) So, before you call
somebody an "asshole", know what you're talking about. I'm one of the best
in the whole frigging WORLD at what I do...what can you say about
YOURSELF???

oh, by the way....bite me!

Wow, he really told you, you OK Tom?

Dumb ol' bully, if he'd have said that to me I might have done something
about it, pretty soon.. lucky for him he didn't, yeah boy, I'd have told
him..

John
John Martin

Tom Gardner (nospam) wrote:
Everybody knows that wire brushes get dull
quickly and must be resharpened by a pro or use new ones frequently.

Tom:

How about some info on the resharpening? I reverse the reversible ones
and have occasionally run a hand stone lightly against one before
reversing, but I'm guessing there's more to it than that.

John Martin

Larry Jaques

On 13 Aug 2005 06:38:51 -0700, the opaque "John Martin"
clearly wrote:

Tom Gardner (nospam) wrote:
Everybody knows that wire brushes get dull
quickly and must be resharpened by a pro or use new ones frequently.

How about some info on the resharpening? I reverse the reversible ones
and have occasionally run a hand stone lightly against one before
reversing, but I'm guessing there's more to it than that.

Everyone knows that 6 strokes from a diamond micro-file on each side
of each wire of the brush is the best way to sharpen them.

Note to Tom: Record the breakins with a $69 recorder TODAY ONLY!
http://www.isellsurplus.com/product.asp?id=14185&c=10

-
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering WTF happened.
---
http://diversify.com Website Application Programming
Tom Gardner

Reversing a wheel is the first step to the trash but then the brush was
misused anyway. As soon as the wire starts to lay down, it is no longer a
cutting tool but now a burnishing tool. So, the operator just naturally
applies more pressure. A slippery slope to the trash. Try and find the
right mix of speed, wire dia., wire length and wire alloy. There's the
rub, that's a lot of variables so you compromise with a sacrificial general
purpose brush. That's ok. In another world, a process needs to get "X"
number of parts done with a brush before shut down and brush change. That's
where fine tuning the brush variables pays off.

All wire brushes, power and hand, the sharp corners on the ends of the wire
do the work. As the work is done the edges become rounded and the cutting
action changes. Thus if the wire ends are ground square again before the
slippery slope, the brush will do more, consistent work with less energy.
So, sharpen your brushes or buy a lot of new ones! Sound advise, but some
people think I'm being smart-assed.

Just don't tell anybody!

"John Martin" wrote in message
oups.com...

Tom Gardner (nospam) wrote:
Everybody knows that wire brushes get dull
quickly and must be resharpened by a pro or use new ones frequently.

Tom:

How about some info on the resharpening? I reverse the reversible ones
and have occasionally run a hand stone lightly against one before
reversing, but I'm guessing there's more to it than that.

John Martin

Artemia Salina

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 18:25:15 -0500, Aftershock wrote:

There are new folks on this group, asshole. Treat them like you would
treat your own friends, not some off the wall dickhead advice.

Just for the record, I like Tom. I think he's a generous kinda guy
with a sense of humor, and I enjoy reading his posts.

Aftershock

That's a mighty scary sounding nickname you made up for yourself
there, Aftershock. Any particular reason you decided on that one?

Harold and Susan Vordos

"Artemia Salina" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 18:25:15 -0500, Aftershock wrote:

There are new folks on this group, asshole. Treat them like you would
treat your own friends, not some off the wall dickhead advice.

Just for the record, I like Tom. I think he's a generous kinda guy
with a sense of humor, and I enjoy reading his posts.

Yeah, Tom's OK-----just enjoys a few laughs. It might seem a bit strange
for the newbie to get one of his humorous replies, but I can't imagine that
it would take much time until the newbie figured out he's just having some
fun.

Did anyone on the group watch SOAP when it was on the air? It was,
without a doubt, one of the funniest sitcoms to hit the air--------but if
you didn't watch it long enough to figure out what it was up to, it was
stupid and offensive. Sometimes you have to give things a little time
before making a decision.

Harold

Tom Gardner

"Harold and Susan Vordos" wrote in message Did anyone on
the group watch SOAP when it was on the air? It was,
without a doubt, one of the funniest sitcoms to hit the air--------but if
you didn't watch it long enough to figure out what it was up to, it was
stupid and offensive. Sometimes you have to give things a little time
before making a decision.

Harold

Herold, most people think I'm stupid and offensive right away! Soon after,
I remove all doubt.

Gunner

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 18:25:15 -0500, Aftershock
wrote:

In article , "Tom Gardner"
says...

take your own advice, ****wit.

Gunner

The two highest achievements of the human mind are the twin concepts of "loyalty" and "duty."
Whenever these twin concepts fall into disrepute -- get out of there fast! You may possibly
save yourself, but it is too late to save that society. It is doomed. " Lazarus Long
Nick Müller

Gil HASH wrote:

How to clean the iron tools,gages, caliper, sine bar and how to prevent
rust?

Vaseline

Nick
--