Default Dalton Six Lathe Type "B" Looking for Info

Hi Folks:

There has recently come into my posession a Dalton Six Type "B" lathe.
The previous owner has recently passed away and I was asked to remove
the machine from the widow's garage.

This lathe was made by the Dalton Manufacturing Corp. No date was
on the lathe other than the patent date of 1912. The six is apparently
for the speed combinations. There is a 3 step cone pulley matching the
drive pulley to the spindle and a back gear that can be switched
in or out making a total of six speeds. It appears to be about a
7x20" machine. It has about a 3/4" bore through the headstock spindle
and a 5C collet (the machine came with a set of collets and a drawbar.)

I've seen on some other posts references to Dalton Six Lots B4, B6,
etc. This is clearly marked as simply a Dalton Six Type "B" on the
plate leading me to believe that this is from the original lot and
possibly older than the other common items.

I got the lathe home and set up and started looking at it carefully.
I measured the eccentricity at the spindle hub at about 0.007" The
sleeve bearings for the headstock spindle allow visible play in both
parallel and perpendicular directions to the spindle. The adjustment
for the longitudnal direction is at the end of it's run so nothing
I saw could be done to compensate for the play.

Physically, the machine appears in good shape. The ways are smooth
with no dings. The leadscrew, compound, and tailstock all travel
their full range smoothly with no backlash that I could feel.
The halfnut engages smoothly. The toolpost looks as though it may
also be original.

Chances are that a more experienced machinist (I am VERY new to this)
would be able to machine new bearings for the headstock spindle and
turn this into a useable tool but this is most likely beyond my
capability.

In doing a google search it appears that there is some historic value
to this particular class/manufacture of lathe. I have been asked by
someone in England to take some good photos of the lathe and it's
parts (which I will do) but fear the restoration is beyond me.

I would like to get some additonal information on how hard it would
be to get new parts and hopefully make this useful.

Any information/guidance is appreciated.

Thanks,

Kevin

Waynemak

I looked at one about a year ago, they would make an ok hobby machine or at
least get you hooked on it. They were made in Connecticut from what I
remember. Not sure how the bearing adjust and if they do.