Cliff

Default chuck with Morse taper2-B16 adaptation

On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 18:30:11 +0400, "Gil HASH"
wrote:

Hello
I Beg your pardon for my "approximative" english but this news group is the
only one for my problem
I have a rexon drill with a morse taper N°2 with a tang and a chuck 3-16 mm
with a B16 adaptation
The chuck falls often and I don't know how to fix them after cleaning and
cleaning the morse taper in and out.
Have an idea?

Crossposted to rec.crafts.metalworking
HTH
--
Cliff
Mungo Bulge

According to the manual:
http://www.screwfix.com/sfd/i/cat/pdfs/82/p3286482.pdf
INSTALLING THE CHUCK (WITH ARBOUR) (Fig. 12)

1. Clean out the tapered hole in the chuck (1) with a clean cloth.
(Fig. 12)

2. Clean tapered surfaces on the arbour (2) and spindle (3). (Fig. 12)

3. Push the chuck (1) onto the spindle arbour (2). Tap gently to
ensure seat. (Fig. 13)

4. Lower the spindle (2) by turning the feed handles (3) anticlockwise
until the slot (4) appears on the quill (5). (Fig. 13)

5. Push the chuck and spindle arbour up into the spindle, making sure
the tang (6) (upper narrow end of the spindle arbour shank) is engaged
and wedged in the inner slot (7) of the spindle. This can be seen
through the outer slot (4) of the quill by rotating the chuck and
arbour until the two slots are aligned. (Fig. 13)

6. Open the jaw of the chuck (1) by rotating the chuck sleeve
clockwise. To prevent damage, make sure the jaws are completely
receded into the chuck. (Fig. 14)

7. Unlock the table bracket lock (2) and raise the table until it is
25 mm below the tip of the chuck (1). Lock the table bracket lock.
(Fig. 14)

8. Turn the feed handles (3) counter clockwise, lowering the chuck.
Force the chuck against the table until it is securely pressed onto
the spindle. (Fig. 14)

I have read this several times, and have edited the original to remove
and correct (hopefully) scan errors. The best I can tell is that there
may be some obstruction that is interfering with step (5). If the tang
can not fully seat into the inner slot, that may indicate that there
is either dirt or some surface imperfection in the vicinity of the
base of the arbour.
You did not mention that you had bought the drill press new. If it was
previously owned before you acquired it, the MT2/B16 arbour may not be
the correct type. It does have a tang, does it not? If it is the draw
bolt or the plain type, it is the wrong one and this may be your
problem. Although the Morse Taper is a self hold taper, it isn't very
good at holding when rotational forces are applied. Thus the
requirement for the draw bolt, or in this case, the tang wedged into
the quill arbour.

"Cliff" wrote in message
| On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 18:30:11 +0400, "Gil HASH"
| wrote:
|
| Hello
| I Beg your pardon for my "approximative" english but this news
group is the
| only one for my problem
| I have a rexon drill with a morse taper N°2 with a tang and a chuck
3-16 mm
| with a B16 adaptation
| The chuck falls often and I don't know how to fix them after
cleaning and
| cleaning the morse taper in and out.
| Have an idea?
|
| Crossposted to rec.crafts.metalworking
| HTH
| --
| Cliff

Gil HASH

Thanks for your precious tips
The explanations in the french manual are a little different, that's why -I
suppose- it did not work
Now it's fixed.
Another question :
Do you think that the 3300AL can be used like a milling machine?
(before I buy some accessories like cross-table)