William G Darby

Default Power supply for 18 V dewalt cordless tools

A couple of questions that I thought I'd ask:

The first is as per the subject line: What would I need to construct a PSU
for my 18 volt cordless tools. My batteries just will not keep up. ( I was
thinking only of a transformer and a full wave rectifier, and wondered if I
needed something special to allow the variable speed function to work)

The second is that I found the link below on:
Ernie Leimkuhler and Stagesmith's Massive Metal Links List, and it's got new
dewalt 18 volt batteries listed at two for $108.99. That seems pretty good
for an over the counter sale but I wondered if there's any better price out
there??

http://www.toolsforless.com/cgi-bin/...=DeWalt+page=2

Bill D

RellikJM

E-mail me. I think I have them for $79

--
RellikJM
RellikJM AT Yahoo DOT Com

"William G Darby" wrote in message
.. .
A couple of questions that I thought I'd ask:

The first is as per the subject line: What would I need to construct a

PSU
for my 18 volt cordless tools. My batteries just will not keep up. ( I was
thinking only of a transformer and a full wave rectifier, and wondered if

needed something special to allow the variable speed function to work)

The second is that I found the link below on:
Ernie Leimkuhler and Stagesmith's Massive Metal Links List, and it's got

new
dewalt 18 volt batteries listed at two for $108.99. That seems pretty good
for an over the counter sale but I wondered if there's any better price

out
there??

http://www.toolsforless.com/cgi-bin/...=DeWalt+page=2

Bill D

Jay Mojave

Hello William:

I have given up on the battery operated drills. They are in a pile of
drill motors and batteries. Maybe ok for the weekend fix it guy who
wants to hang a paper towel holder.

I have used the battery operated drills enough to never have one again.
Except for a 90 degree angle drill, I have use for at times.

I have replaced my bettery operated drills with a 1/2 inch chuck 115
Volts AC operated key less chuck. And I bought a 100 and 50 Foot
extension cords, have a kick ass reversable and variable drill motor
will travel, Ten-4.

I drill out 3/8 solid aluminum rod, down the center, and then have a 1/4
- 20 Tap in my 1/2 inch keyless chuck drill motor, tap the hole in a
second, works great for production parts.

Jay in the Great Mojaave Desert, .... just down the road ah ways from
the fillin station.

http://www.a1antennas.com

William G Darby wrote:
A couple of questions that I thought I'd ask:

The first is as per the subject line: What would I need to construct a PSU
for my 18 volt cordless tools. My batteries just will not keep up. ( I was
thinking only of a transformer and a full wave rectifier, and wondered if I
needed something special to allow the variable speed function to work)

The second is that I found the link below on:
Ernie Leimkuhler and Stagesmith's Massive Metal Links List, and it's got new
dewalt 18 volt batteries listed at two for $108.99. That seems pretty good
for an over the counter sale but I wondered if there's any better price out
there??

http://www.toolsforless.com/cgi-bin/...=DeWalt+page=2

Bill D

Keith Marshall

The first is as per the subject line: What would I need to construct a
PSU
for my 18 volt cordless tools. My batteries just will not keep up. ( I was
thinking only of a transformer and a full wave rectifier, and wondered if

needed something special to allow the variable speed function to work)

Ideally you would need a transformer (probably a pretty hefty one!), a
rectifier, a couple of capacitors and a regulator plus a few other items
such as a case, etc. You might get by with something simpler but it
probably wouldn't be a very good idea.

But if you're going to go to the trouble of powering it with A/C why not
just buy an A/C drill? Here's one that looks comparable to yours for about
$90:

http://www.toolsforless.com/cgi-bin/...l?SKU=DW235GRC

And if you don't need the 1/2" you could buy a 3/8" for even less. It's
cheaper than extra batteries and you'd still have the cordless for when A/C
isn't available.

Best Regards,
Keith Marshall

"The universe is full of magical things,
patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper."
-Eden Phillpotts, A Shadow Passes, 1934
[...]

William G Darby

Didn't read the two batteries for 108.99. I was thinking one battery.
Sorry.

Thanks !! When I read your first post I kinda thought that's what you had
done. I think the $108 is a VG price! Again ... thanks.

Bill

William G Darby

"Jay Mojave" wrote in message
Hello William:

I have given up on the battery operated drills. They are in a pile of
drill motors and batteries. Maybe ok for the weekend fix it guy who
wants to hang a paper towel holder.

I am coming around to that point of view as well, but damit they are so
darned handy!!

Bill

Statics

Your 18V tools will likely run on 12 volts albeit slower. Maybe just use a
deep cycle 12 marine battery for much longer run time. I've seen photos of
battery pack mockups with contacts and cables running out to connect to the
boat's battery for middle of nowhere repairs.

Bit of a strange compromise I suppose but for the right application could be
just the ticket.

StaticsJason

"William G Darby" wrote in message
.. .
A couple of questions that I thought I'd ask:

The first is as per the subject line: What would I need to construct a

PSU
for my 18 volt cordless tools. My batteries just will not keep up. ( I was
thinking only of a transformer and a full wave rectifier, and wondered if

needed something special to allow the variable speed function to work)

The second is that I found the link below on:
Ernie Leimkuhler and Stagesmith's Massive Metal Links List, and it's got

new
dewalt 18 volt batteries listed at two for $108.99. That seems pretty good
for an over the counter sale but I wondered if there's any better price

out
there??

http://www.toolsforless.com/cgi-bin/...ry=Accessories
Batteries&mfr_name=DeWalt+page=2

Bill D

William G Darby

"Keith Marshall" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks Keith

No, I am in pretty good shape when it comes to AC drills. The thing is
that the darn batteries cost so much that it's not worth the cost to keep
the tools on the road. But the only sawsall I own is an 18V dewalt and it
seems a shame not to be able to use it while I have on hand all the
components to put together a DC power supply for it.

And if you don't need the 1/2" you could buy a 3/8" for even less. It's
cheaper than extra batteries and you'd still have the cordless for when

A/C
isn't available.

I have already bought the B&D 3/8 drill for about 40$US, (two of them),
essentially for the batteries. The extra drills are handy for sequential
type work.)

Thanks again

Bill D

[...]

Bill K

found them at lowes in fl. near Orlando for two for $79.00

Loren Coe

In article , William G Darby wrote:

"Keith Marshall" wrote in message
The first is as per the subject line: What would I need to construct a

PSU
for my 18 volt cordless tools. My batteries just will not keep up. ( I

was
thinking only of a transformer and a full wave rectifier, and wondered

if
needed something special to allow the variable speed function to work)

Ideally you would need a transformer (probably a pretty hefty one!), a
rectifier, a couple of capacitors and a regulator plus a few other items
such as a case, etc. You might get by with something simpler but it
probably wouldn't be a very good idea.

But if you're going to go to the trouble of powering it with A/C why not
just buy an A/C drill? Here's one that looks comparable to yours for

[....]

Thanks Keith
No, I am in pretty good shape when it comes to AC drills. The thing is
that the darn batteries cost so much that it's not worth the cost to keep
the tools on the road. But the only sawsall I own is an 18V dewalt and it
seems a shame not to be able to use it while I have on hand all the
components to put together a DC power supply for it.

if you just want the power not the portability, you have had suggestions,
but if it were me i would kludge an avail battery onto it. make some
kind of terminal adapter for the cheapest new or replacement battery
avail. it couldn't be any more difficult or look any more cobbled up.

--Loren

Loren Coe

"Jay Mojave" wrote in message
Hello William:

I have given up on the battery operated drills. They are in a pile of
drill motors and batteries. Maybe ok for the weekend fix it guy who
wants to hang a paper towel holder.

I am coming around to that point of view as well, but damit they are so
darned handy!! Bill

i blow hot and cold on this subject, have a life time supply of drills,
both kinds, and will someday find a cheap enough source for ni-cad cells
that it makes sense to rebuilt the bat.packs.

my favorite cordless tool is a 4" trim saw, 18v, will cut 4 feet of
1/2' plywood and keep on running. amazing (to me), --Loren

Jay Mojave

Hello William:

One other consideration that comes to mind with all this, is use a
extension cord between the drill and the battery charger. You will have
to get creative to wire it up.

The Battery charger may not run the drill motor, but will keep the
battery charged up, somewhat. The wire I would use would be just light
Zip Cord used for lamps and stuff, available at hardware stores.

The resistance in the wire will limit the current, protecting the
battery charger I am thinking. I don't know how much current the drill
motors take but its probably high for starting and sinking wood screws
and such down, and of course thats where the battery comes in, supplying
the high current. As the drill would be off most of the time, it would
allow the battery to be charged.

I am thinking that the drill motors may take as much as 20 amps of
current for the peak usage. So that would require a 18 Volt DC power
supply, at a current rating of 20 or more amps. And the wire it would
take would be something like 12 or 10 gage wire. So now you have a
expensive power supply and are no longer wireless.

Jay in the Mojave

William G Darby wrote:
"Jay Mojave" wrote in message

Hello William:

I have given up on the battery operated drills. They are in a pile of
drill motors and batteries. Maybe ok for the weekend fix it guy who
wants to hang a paper towel holder.

I am coming around to that point of view as well, but damit they are so
darned handy!!

Bill

Eddy

Jay Mojave wrote:

Hello William:

One other consideration that comes to mind with all this, is use a
extension cord between the drill and the battery charger. You will have
to get creative to wire it up.

Hi Jay

I gave that a thought or two. About the same as running a cordless electric
razor with it plugged in.

As per your comment there are a ton of unknowns. I rather liked the idea of
the PSU for bullwork type jobs, but you are right about the high amp draw at
only 18 volts. My 1/2" AC drill is rated at something like 10 amps at 120V so
that's about (120/18*10)= 60 some amps by comparison on 18 volts. Hefty
draw!!

In any case it all seems like a can of worms and not worth doing and if I
factor in that replacement batteries are ,, while not cheap, at $108 for two,
they are a lot cheaper then full price here. I think that's the way I'll go.

Thanks for the ideas

Bill

William G Darby wrote:
"Jay Mojave" wrote in message

Hello William:

I have given up on the battery operated drills. They are in a pile of
drill motors and batteries. Maybe ok for the weekend fix it guy who
wants to hang a paper towel holder.

I am coming around to that point of view as well, but damit they are so
darned handy!!

Bill

Ian Stirling

William G Darby wrote:
A couple of questions that I thought I'd ask:

The first is as per the subject line: What would I need to construct a PSU
for my 18 volt cordless tools. My batteries just will not keep up. ( I was
thinking only of a transformer and a full wave rectifier, and wondered if I
needed something special to allow the variable speed function to work)

One option that may be stupid or workable.
A 12 and 6V lead-acid battery in series, and a couple of chargers for
them.
Ensure they are of the same capacity, and never discharge too much.
(below 10 and 5V)

Depending on how the thing is constructed, you may or may not need
a smoohed power supply to get the variable speed working.

I'd start off guessing that you need at least 20A at 18V (360W) to
equal the torque on batteries.
Do you have the means to test the current when the tool stalls?

--
http://inquisitor.i.am/ | | Ian Stirling.
He who lives in a glass house should not invite he who is without sin.

Larry Jaques

On Sat, 6 Sep 2003 01:03:26 -0400, "William G Darby"
pixelated:

"Jay Mojave" wrote in message
Hello William:

I have given up on the battery operated drills. They are in a pile of
drill motors and batteries. Maybe ok for the weekend fix it guy who
wants to hang a paper towel holder.

I am coming around to that point of view as well, but damit they are so
darned handy!!

Unless they're used daily and recharged, the batteries go down
far too quickly. I let mine sit for a few weeks when my knee
was acting up and the life was several minutes: it was 75% down
when I got back to it.

------------------------------
Gator: The other white meat!
------------------------------
http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
Peter T. Keillor III

"Jay Mojave" wrote in message
Hello William:

I have given up on the battery operated drills. They are in a pile of
drill motors and batteries. Maybe ok for the weekend fix it guy who
wants to hang a paper towel holder.

I am coming around to that point of view as well, but damit they are so
darned handy!!

Unless they're used daily and recharged, the batteries go down
far too quickly. I let mine sit for a few weeks when my knee
was acting up and the life was several minutes: it was 75% down
when I got back to it.

------------------------------
Gator: The other white meat!
------------------------------
http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development

I've had good luck with mine. It's a Milwaukee drill-driver with 2
batteries and the fast charger. Had it about 10 years, and the
batteries are still good, about 30 minutes of pretty heavy drilling
and screw driving, by which time the other battery is charged. I have
gone months without using it at times. It's also very handy for
assembling those damned elmer's glue and sawdust computer desks.

Of course, when I want to drill 3/8" - 1/2" holes in 1/4" - 1/2"
steel, I grab a corded drill.

Pete Keillor
dan

What's that Lassie? You say that William G Darby fell down the old
rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue
by Sat, 6 Sep 2003 02:31:19 -0400:

The thing is
that the darn batteries cost so much that it's not worth the cost to keep
the tools on the road

I have heard of places that you can send your dead packs away to, and
they will rebuild them with new cells for less than factory
replacements. Bigger better cells too.

--

Dan
William G Darby

"dan" wrote in message
What's that Lassie? You say that William G Darby fell down the old
rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue
by Sat, 6 Sep 2003 02:31:19 -0400:

You are showing your age Dan, I can recall Lassie come home quite well
(1943).

The thing is
that the darn batteries cost so much that it's not worth the cost to keep
the tools on the road

I have heard of places that you can send your dead packs away to, and
they will rebuild them with new cells for less than factory
replacements. Bigger better cells too.

Yes, I had looked into that but the local guys want quite a bit and I don't
want to get into 2 way cross boarder shipping. Perhaps I'll ask again!

Bill

--

Dan

Old Nick

On Fri, 5 Sep 2003 19:53:07 -0400, "William G Darby"
wrote something
.......and in reply I say!:

I run my 12V cordless on a gelcell. If I am doing a lot of work, say
drilling several holes, I attach a small 12v/2.5 A battery charger.
One of the simpler variety. This will considerably extend the working
life. I know it's not recommended to charge gel-cells with these
chargers, but if you are using heavily and watch out, you should do no
damage. Works for me. I never leave the batteries charging when I walk
off, even for a coffee break. Do all this at your own risk.

The batteries are large capacity. They are cheap. I hang the battery
of a bum-bag around my waist mostly, when I am not connected to the
charger. Then I leave the charger aside and attach during breaks in
the job.

18V gets a little messier, but should be doable.

A couple of questions that I thought I'd ask:

The first is as per the subject line: What would I need to construct a PSU
for my 18 volt cordless tools. My batteries just will not keep up. ( I was
thinking only of a transformer and a full wave rectifier, and wondered if I
needed something special to allow the variable speed function to work)

The second is that I found the link below on:
Ernie Leimkuhler and Stagesmith's Massive Metal Links List, and it's got new
dewalt 18 volt batteries listed at two for $108.99. That seems pretty good
for an over the counter sale but I wondered if there's any better price out
there??

http://www.toolsforless.com/cgi-bin/...=DeWalt+page=2

Bill D

************************************************** ****************************************
Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach.
The rest sit around and make snide comments.

Nick White --- HEAD:Hertz Music
Please remove ns from my header address to reply via email
!!
")
_/ )
( )
_//- \__/

Loren Coe

In article 3f5c1a01.1047113382@localhost, Old Nick wrote:
On Fri, 5 Sep 2003 19:53:07 -0400, "William G Darby"
wrote something
......and in reply I say!:

I run my 12V cordless on a gelcell. If I am doing a lot of work, say
drilling several holes, I attach a small 12v/2.5 A battery charger.

[....] off, even for a coffee break. Do all this at your own risk.
The batteries are large capacity. They are cheap. I hang the battery
of a bum-bag around my waist mostly, when I am not connected to the
charger. Then I leave the charger aside and attach during breaks in
the job. 18V gets a little messier, but should be doable.

at some point i have to wonder if a drop cord and normal 120vac
tool would be easier to use (?), even if a genset is req'd. my
cordless tool collectio is large, but i also have some heavy
duty drop cords and still use them around the house. --Loren

[...]

Old Nick

On Mon, 08 Sep 2003 11:06:18 GMT, Loren Coe
wrote something
.......and in reply I say!:

I tend to agree. I bought the drill, had the batteries go, and because
it's 12V and cost a lot, I use the gel cell.

I find the trouble with working with a genset is that unless you have
electric start, or are drilling a lot, and fast, it's terrible hearing
that engine running for no reason, or having to pull start all the
time. Been there done that. Most irritating and a bit pressuring.

at some point i have to wonder if a drop cord and normal 120vac
tool would be easier to use (?), even if a genset is req'd. my
cordless tool collectio is large, but i also have some heavy
duty drop cords and still use them around the house. --Loren

************************************************** ****************************************
Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach.
The rest sit around and make snide comments.

Nick White --- HEAD:Hertz Music
Please remove ns from my header address to reply via email
!!
")
_/ )
( )
_//- \__/
Loren Coe

In article , Old Nick wrote:
On Mon, 08 Sep 2003 11:06:18 GMT, Loren Coe
wrote something
......and in reply I say!:

I tend to agree. I bought the drill, had the batteries go, and because
it's 12V and cost a lot, I use the gel cell.

I find the trouble with working with a genset is that unless you have
electric start, or are drilling a lot, and fast, it's terrible hearing
that engine running for no reason, or having to pull start all the

that's what the drop cord is for grin.

time. Been there done that. Most irritating and a bit pressuring.

sounds like you work in very remote locals. i would hate to waste
gas in that situation, too, but neither would i want get skunked
because the battery ran down. as always, ymmv. --Loren