SteveB

Default Metal bender/scroll attatchment

I need a GOOD bender/scroll maker. I used to have a Hossfeld scroll bender.
I paid $185, and now the same item is $550.

Oh, well, gas used to be $.31 a gallon too, and that don't mean anything
today.

I keep seeing benders like the one listed below. I bought one of THESE for
$149 from BreakDown Industries in 1984. Now the same thing is $589 from
Shop Outfitters.

Anyone have one of these? I am going to bend mostly 1/8" thick flat bar at
any time. At tops, 1/4". I do need a good scroll machine that will make
from 2 1/2" to the large 8 or 9" 1 1/2 turn scrolls. I would also like it
if it would take small square rod, say 3/16" to make some square bar
spirals.

I need the spiral maker to be good steel so that it doesn't deteriorate with
use and get sloppy. Looks like that will be another $150, making it a grand
total of about $750.

This is an investment that will earn the cost back in a short time, so a
$750 outlay is not the problem.

I just want to know if people have these ......... if they like them
.......... if they have a brand name preference ................. where they
got the best price .......... any caveats.

TIA.

Steve

http://www.shopoutfitters.com/2020CompactBender.html

Carla Fong

SteveB wrote:
[...]

Steve,

We got one of the Shop Outfitters benders about 10 years ago and it's
well made and does what is advertised.

Harbor Freight has a cheap knock off of the same thing for a lot less
money - caveat emptor.

However, we found that style of bender is a pain to use unless you're
doing exactly the same identical single bend in a workpiece repeatedly.
You have to 'unthread' your workpiece if you need a reverse bend, and
you have to completely disassemble the bender to change the bend radius.
It also does not reliably clamp the workpiece so your bend position can
'crawl' without you noticing it.

If you're serious about bending, try finding one of the Diacro style
benders - a world of difference. (http://www.diacro.com/) We found ours
used on eBay but still spendy... and worth it..

Carla
Gunner

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 16:55:10 -0700, "SteveB"
wrote:

[...]

By all accounts they are a decent bender

I have one made by Security Lock IRRC..and its identical the the HF
unit, though US made. and accessories interchange.

Here is another type..though nearly as spendy as the shop outfitters
unit.
http://www.wikco.com/2020.html

Gunner

Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends
of every country save their own. Benjamin Disraeli
Gunner

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 00:40:09 GMT, Carla Fong
wrote:

SteveB wrote:
[...]

One of the posters here..Leigh at MarMachine occasionally has the
DiAcros and similar.

Gunner

Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends
of every country save their own. Benjamin Disraeli
Larry Jaques

wrote:

[...]

I wonder if their leverage multiplier would fit a 31980...

--============================================--
---

FredG

I have this bender and their wheel bender for making rings. GREAT STUFF! I
have a friend that went and purchased a "Look Alike" and his broke the first
week. These folks are a little high but it IS QUALITY and we have never had
a problem with the equipment. I just wish the wheel bender would do larger
stock. ... Good Stuff! Good Luck. Fred.

x-- 30+ Days Binary Retention with High Completion
x-- Access to over 1.9 Terabytes per Day - $8.95/Month
x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 08:16:19 GMT, Gunner
wrote:

Steve

http://www.shopoutfitters.com/2020CompactBender.html

By all accounts they are a decent bender

I have one made by Security Lock IRRC..and its identical the the HF
unit, though US made. and accessories interchange.

Here is another type..though nearly as spendy as the shop outfitters
unit.
http://www.wikco.com/2020.html

http://www.wikco.com/2020.html If I am not mistaken, those tools
and descriptions seem to be exactly like Shop Outfitters.

Richard
SteveB

wrote

http://www.wikco.com/2020.html If I am not mistaken, those tools
and descriptions seem to be exactly like Shop Outfitters.

Richard

Looks identical to me.

Steve

Metal Roofing ptgoodman Home Repair 7 July 13th 06 02:47 AM
Does polishing one or both surfaces reduce metal to metal friction? SA Development Metalworking 5 June 7th 05 01:19 AM
Tool wanted to cut metal slot Jan UK diy 15 March 11th 04 08:49 PM
Creating very light hollow metal ornaments Marin Metalworking 4 January 23rd 04 02:41 AM
Drywall screws for metal studs prone to strip, please help. andy everett Home Repair 2 August 23rd 03 07:10 PM