Larry Jaques

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 08:16:19 GMT, the opaque Gunner
clearly wrote:

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 16:55:10 -0700, "SteveB"
wrote:

I need a GOOD bender/scroll maker. I used to have a Hossfeld scroll bender.
I paid $185, and now the same item is $550.

Oh, well, gas used to be $.31 a gallon too, and that don't mean anything
today.

I keep seeing benders like the one listed below. I bought one of THESE for
$149 from BreakDown Industries in 1984. Now the same thing is $589 from
Shop Outfitters.

Anyone have one of these? I am going to bend mostly 1/8" thick flat bar at
any time. At tops, 1/4". I do need a good scroll machine that will make
from 2 1/2" to the large 8 or 9" 1 1/2 turn scrolls. I would also like it
if it would take small square rod, say 3/16" to make some square bar
spirals.

I need the spiral maker to be good steel so that it doesn't deteriorate with
use and get sloppy. Looks like that will be another $150, making it a grand
total of about $750.

This is an investment that will earn the cost back in a short time, so a
$750 outlay is not the problem.

I just want to know if people have these ......... if they like them
......... if they have a brand name preference ................. where they
got the best price .......... any caveats.

TIA.

Steve

http://www.shopoutfitters.com/2020CompactBender.html

By all accounts they are a decent bender

I have one made by Security Lock IRRC..and its identical the the HF
unit, though US made. and accessories interchange.

Here is another type..though nearly as spendy as the shop outfitters
unit.
http://www.wikco.com/2020.html

I wonder if their leverage multiplier would fit a 31980...

---