PrecisionMachinisT

"Peter Wiley" wrote in message
. ..
Anyone have any info on these beasts? I've got the opportunity to pick
up 3 of them cheap, but the combined weight is about 6 tonnes. A 6A,
another 6A with rack cutter and a 7. The 6A can apparently handle gears
to 18" OD and the 7 gears to 8" OD. About 4' for the rack cutter. Old
machines and dirty but in good order.

I don't really have any jobs in mind for them but the price might be
very right and I can probably find somewhere to put them when I get the
new shop built. Owner is a 70 y/o guy closing up shop and selling all
his tools. This is in Australia. I've told him to list all the small
stuff on Ebay, we'll see if he does.

I've done a Q&D Google search, BTW.

They are completely useless without the "smaller stuff", IE the cutting
tools.......

--

SVL

Gunner

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 14:51:40 +0100, Peter Wiley
wrote:

Anyone have any info on these beasts? I've got the opportunity to pick
up 3 of them cheap, but the combined weight is about 6 tonnes. A 6A,
another 6A with rack cutter and a 7. The 6A can apparently handle gears
to 18" OD and the 7 gears to 8" OD. About 4' for the rack cutter. Old
machines and dirty but in good order.

I don't really have any jobs in mind for them but the price might be
very right and I can probably find somewhere to put them when I get the
new shop built. Owner is a 70 y/o guy closing up shop and selling all
his tools. This is in Australia. I've told him to list all the small
stuff on Ebay, we'll see if he does.

I've done a Q&D Google search, BTW.

PDW

Ive worked on a few of them. Marvelous gear hobbers. They do use a
******* change gear with a triangular hole in the middle so gears are
a bit hard to find, but it sounds like the fellow probably has a full
compliment.

I can turn you on to a client of mine in So. California with a shop
full of them, who might be able to help you with manuals, set ups and
so forth

Action Gear & Broaching
(949) 645-8212
1717 Monrovia Ave
Costa Mesa, CA 92627

for torturing the cat." Gunner

Wow, I'm surprised someone is making gears with shapers... I thought it
would be too time consuming to do, well, almost any thing with a
shaper. I'd think he's use a horizontal mill or something for gears.
I'll admit, though, on this subject my ignorance is vast... Is there
some special reason for using a shaper for gear hobbing?

I think they can make bevel gears with properly tapered teeth, unlike a
milling machine, also gears with carefully optimized custom depth and
pressure angle [mumble, mumble].

JimW

Peter Wiley

In article , PrecisionMachinisT
wrote:

"Peter Wiley" wrote in message
. ..
Anyone have any info on these beasts? I've got the opportunity to pick
up 3 of them cheap, but the combined weight is about 6 tonnes. A 6A,
another 6A with rack cutter and a 7. The 6A can apparently handle gears
to 18" OD and the 7 gears to 8" OD. About 4' for the rack cutter. Old
machines and dirty but in good order.

I don't really have any jobs in mind for them but the price might be
very right and I can probably find somewhere to put them when I get the
new shop built. Owner is a 70 y/o guy closing up shop and selling all
his tools. This is in Australia. I've told him to list all the small
stuff on Ebay, we'll see if he does.

I've done a Q&D Google search, BTW.

They are completely useless without the "smaller stuff", IE the cutting
tools.......

Yeah but he's got all that stuff, too, it comes as part of the package.
8 DP and down. What I've read is the machines are worth a lot more than
I'm willing to pay, but maybe not right here & now. Shrug. We're
talking a total of 7 tonnes of cast iron here, with 3 machines. I just
shipped 6 tonnes of tools out of my Sydney shop this morning, not real
anxious to do it again. I'll wait & see how the pricing pans out, if
they're going for scrap I'll grab them but if they're going to a shop
which can really use them, I'll pass.

Being able to do internal gears simply would be cool but I have a
slotter with rotary table so there's another way.

Thanks for the feedback.

PDW