Fred R

Wow, I'm surprised someone is making gears with shapers... I thought it
would be too time consuming to do, well, almost any thing with a
shaper. I'd think he's use a horizontal mill or something for gears.
I'll admit, though, on this subject my ignorance is vast... Is there
some special reason for using a shaper for gear hobbing?

A 'gear shaper' is a machine specialized for making gears and is not at
all similar to either a horizontal or vertical general-purpose shaper.
While there are ways to make gears on a regular shaper, it is slower
than on a mill just as you imagined.

--
Fred R