wws

Default punch source

Some of you may recall my motorcycle mishap june 7 2003,
I am walking and wonders, working again. Gettin fat and lovin' it I guess.

Auto, truck, general do gooder.

Wherefrom this query arises.

I need a punch, or punches.

L: 12" - 24"

Form: center, semi chisel, flat.

Dia. 1/8" - 1/4" cutting edge

Dia. overall 1/4" - 9/16"

Hardness - RC60 (sp?)

Old parts?, (printers have nice shafts)
new stock,
hardened drill rod?

wws

Roger Shoaf

Buy regular length punches and make an extension. Make one extension that
is held with a set screw if the use is occasional, or if you always need a
punch with the long shaft then weld them on permanently.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.
"wws" wrote in message ...
Some of you may recall my motorcycle mishap june 7 2003,
I am walking and wonders, working again. Gettin fat and lovin' it I guess.

Auto, truck, general do gooder.

Wherefrom this query arises.

I need a punch, or punches.

L: 12" - 24"

Form: center, semi chisel, flat.

Dia. 1/8" - 1/4" cutting edge

Dia. overall 1/4" - 9/16"

Hardness - RC60 (sp?)

Old parts?, (printers have nice shafts)
new stock,
hardened drill rod?

wws

wws

Roger Shoaf wrote:
Buy regular length punches and make an extension. Make one extension that
is held with a set screw if the use is occasional, or if you always need a
punch with the long shaft then weld them on permanently.

Thank you Roger.
Using tools on hand in a "hurry up and do it" situation, a long socket
and socket extension on the punch worked.
I guess I was daydreaming about "more tools."
The wish list gets longer by the minute.
No. one one the list is toolboxes, storage and service.
Shoot, here we go again. $50,000 for tools isn't out of the ballpark
esp. since a SnapOn storage center runs close to $10,000.
(note to self - dream on)

wws

I have made a number of punches and chisels out of old automotive
valves.
Not near long enough for your criteria. Mcpherson struts have nice
shafts, but like printers, the shafts are not very hard. How about
forging from coil springs?

Dan

Survey: A Little Feedback For Cliff BottleBob Metalworking 165 May 24th 05 09:32 PM
Try this Gunner Cliff Metalworking 417 April 26th 05 08:30 PM
OT - Delay, Delay Cliff Metalworking 127 April 21st 05 09:06 AM
Metal Working Machinery New and Used in Australia and for Export [email protected] Metalworking 0 February 23rd 05 02:54 AM
Hydraulic Punch hole size question surftom Metalworking 6 April 13th 04 03:05 PM