James Lerch

Default ChangFa Gen Update, Power Distribution

Greetings All,

Updated my web-site with the details on the power distribution setup I
finished. (Amazing how expensive and time consuming this part turned
out to be..)

Now if only I had that stinking 48mm LoveJoy Coupler, I'm ready to
start making some power..

Updated Web-Site:
http://lerch.no-ip.com/ChangFa_Gen (Day 3-4)

Take Care,
James Lerch
http://lerch.no-ip.com/atm (My telescope construction, Testing, and Coating site)

Press on: nothing in the world can take the place of perseverance.
Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb.
Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts.
Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.
Calvin Coolidge
James Lerch

On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 04:20:22 GMT, Ignoramus25870
wrote:

Very thoughtful work, and also very interesting. One decision piqued
my interest. You apparently bonded the neutral with the ground. That's
great for a standalone system. I believe that you mentioned that you
will take the generator to remote sites. It is called a "separately
derived" system.

Thanks

That's not so nice for a home system if neutral, and ground, are not
transferred via transfer switch. (which is most often the case). If
so, then it would not be proper to also bond neutral and ground at the
generator, in addition to the home's main grounding bus. For one
thing, it may make some GFCI breakers malfunction.

You know, it is funny you mention this. As I walked about the home
improvement stores, I kept wondering if I should bond generator
neutral and ground together (like I always see in residential use), or
leave them separate. I finally decided on what you saw.

You are also correct that all the transfer switches I've seen so far
only switch the two 110 legs, leaving the neutral wire intact all the
way back to the power poll transformer (which I assume eventually
leads to an earth ground in many locations, IE my house, and all my
neighbors.)

Currently, I figure when I'm at remote sites providing power, I'll
drive a grounding rod for an earth ground attachment (or attach to a
well casing)

When the power goes out at the house, I plan on attaching the
generator to the house by using the two 240vac 50 amp three prong
outlets, connected to a typical transfer switch on the house.
However, in this case I WILL NOT add an earth ground to the generator,
and instead rely on the earth ground from the house (and all the
neighbors houses as well as any utility earth grounds..)

Anyway, "It is what it is" until a better implementation idea comes
along

Take Care,
James Lerch
http://lerch.no-ip.com/atm (My telescope construction, Testing, and Coating site)

Press on: nothing in the world can take the place of perseverance.
Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb.
Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts.
Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.
Calvin Coolidge
James Lerch

On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 11:05:34 GMT, Gunner
wrote:

On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 04:01:12 GMT,
(James Lerch) wrote:

Now if only I had that stinking 48mm LoveJoy Coupler, I'm ready to
start making some power..

48 mm on both ends? Ill check later in the day.

Well, I only need ONE half to have a 48mm bore w/ a 14mm keyway. The
other half (that will attach to the flywheel adapter), can be
varaible, as long as it is an L150 Body..

Thanks
Take Care,
James Lerch
http://lerch.no-ip.com/atm (My telescope construction, Testing, and Coating site)

Press on: nothing in the world can take the place of perseverance.
Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb.
Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts.
Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.
Calvin Coolidge
RoyJ

I was looking at your sub frame. One thing to watch for (voice of nasty
experience here!) is that not only do the shafts have to be at the same
height, they need to be in the same plane. I did a similar rig, welded
my brackets to the TOP of the frame and warped it nicely. The coupling
was the low spot. The Lovejoy couplings tolerate a bit of misallignment
but I trashed several rubber joints before I got things properly lined up.

James Lerch wrote:

[...]

Gunner

On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 13:36:55 GMT,
(James Lerch) wrote:

On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 11:05:34 GMT, Gunner
wrote:

On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 04:01:12 GMT,

(James Lerch) wrote:

Now if only I had that stinking 48mm LoveJoy Coupler, I'm ready to
start making some power..

48 mm on both ends? Ill check later in the day.

Well, I only need ONE half to have a 48mm bore w/ a 14mm keyway. The
other half (that will attach to the flywheel adapter), can be
varaible, as long as it is an L150 Body..

Thanks
Take Care,
James Lerch
http://lerch.no-ip.com/atm (My telescope construction, Testing, and Coating site)

Press on: nothing in the world can take the place of perseverance.
Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb.
Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts.
Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.
Calvin Coolidge

James, I have quite a number of love joy couplers that MIGHT fit your
bill,

They are a total of about 6" long when assembled, have a 43mm bore on
each half with a 9mm keyway, but LOTS of meat to enlarge them to 14mm

I dont know what a L150 body is. If you can put up a link to what a
L150 body is, with some specs, Ill check through the stuff.

If you want one or two of them, they are free to you, simply pay for
the shipping. If you need em bored to 49mm, I can do that too, free.
But I dont have a 14mm key cutter, though I MIGHT be able to get it
done for free at a friends gear hobbing shop. Assuming he has a 14mm
broach.

Id run em on the shaper, but I loaded the keyway tools to a friend,
and havent seen em for a year.

These are new, but a bit rusty. Ill run em though the bead blaster
before sending em on, so they will come in the white.

Posted and emailed.

Gunner

"Considering the events of recent years,
the world has a long way to go to regain
its credibility and reputation with the US."
unknown
James Lerch

"Gunner" wrote in message
James, I have quite a number of love joy couplers that MIGHT fit your
bill,

They are a total of about 6" long when assembled, have a 43mm bore on
each half with a 9mm keyway, but LOTS of meat to enlarge them to 14mm

I dont know what a L150 body is. If you can put up a link to what a
L150 body is, with some specs, Ill check through the stuff.

The L150 body should be 3.75" OD, and a half coupling should have a
length thru bore of 1", and the three "fingers" should be 1" in
length. A complete L150 w/ spider should measure 4.5" in length.

If you want one or two of them, they are free to you, simply pay for
the shipping.

If you've got them to spare, I'd be happy to take you up on your
offer.

If you need em bored to 49mm, I can do that too, free.
But I dont have a 14mm key cutter, though I MIGHT be able to get it
done for free at a friends gear hobbing shop. Assuming he has a 14mm
broach.

No need, I can bore them at the shop, and a friend as a full fledge
machine shop and owes me a few favors.

These are new, but a bit rusty. Ill run em though the bead blaster
before sending em on, so they will come in the white.

Again, thanks, but no need to do more work on your end, I'll be happy
to clean them up myself..

Let me know how you want to transfer the funds (pay-pal, Credit, Cash,
or PC) and an amount to ship them to:
James Lerch
8212 25th Street East
Parrish, FL 34219

Thanks a Bunch!

--
Take Care,
James Lerch
http://lerch.no-ip.com/atm (My telescope construction,testing, and
coating site)
http://lerch.no-ip.com/ChangFa_Gen (My 15KW generator project)

"Anything that can happen, will happen" -Stephen Pollock from:
"Particle Physics for Non-Physicists: A Tour of the Microcosmos"

[...]

PC power related questions [email protected] Electronics Repair 1 May 20th 05 11:28 PM
retrofitting an ATX psupply into a microATX psupply box - won't power dave Electronics Repair 0 March 23rd 05 03:23 PM
Metal Working Machinery New and Used in Australia and for Export [email protected] Metalworking 0 February 23rd 05 02:54 AM
Power surges Cheryl Home Repair 54 June 25th 04 08:50 PM
Quality Of Tools cisco kid UK diy 145 June 14th 04 01:56 PM