James Lerch

On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 04:20:22 GMT, Ignoramus25870
wrote:

Very thoughtful work, and also very interesting. One decision piqued
my interest. You apparently bonded the neutral with the ground. That's
great for a standalone system. I believe that you mentioned that you
will take the generator to remote sites. It is called a "separately
derived" system.

Thanks

That's not so nice for a home system if neutral, and ground, are not
transferred via transfer switch. (which is most often the case). If
so, then it would not be proper to also bond neutral and ground at the
generator, in addition to the home's main grounding bus. For one
thing, it may make some GFCI breakers malfunction.

You know, it is funny you mention this. As I walked about the home
improvement stores, I kept wondering if I should bond generator
neutral and ground together (like I always see in residential use), or
leave them separate. I finally decided on what you saw.

You are also correct that all the transfer switches I've seen so far
only switch the two 110 legs, leaving the neutral wire intact all the
way back to the power poll transformer (which I assume eventually
leads to an earth ground in many locations, IE my house, and all my
neighbors.)

Currently, I figure when I'm at remote sites providing power, I'll
drive a grounding rod for an earth ground attachment (or attach to a
well casing)

When the power goes out at the house, I plan on attaching the
generator to the house by using the two 240vac 50 amp three prong
outlets, connected to a typical transfer switch on the house.
However, in this case I WILL NOT add an earth ground to the generator,
and instead rely on the earth ground from the house (and all the
neighbors houses as well as any utility earth grounds..)

Anyway, "It is what it is" until a better implementation idea comes
along

Take Care,
James Lerch
http://lerch.no-ip.com/atm (My telescope construction, Testing, and Coating site)

Press on: nothing in the world can take the place of perseverance.
Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb.
Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts.
Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.
Calvin Coolidge