Nick Hull

Default Fenner powertwist v-belt question

My Dixon ZTR lawnmower has the main traction v-belt failing and needs
replacing. Looks like a real dog of a job, I obviously have to remove 3
other v-belts and a countershaft, plus other stuff I don't know about
yet. Looks like they dropped the belt on the assembly line and built
the lawnmower around it. Seems like a good place to use a segmented
belt, BUT there is an idler pully that bears on the outside of the belt.
Will this cause any trouble?

At least the belt only goes one way, and the belt stops and tension is
removed when the brake is set, but the belt does twist from horizontal
to vertical pulleys.

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/
Christopher Tidy

Nick Hull wrote:
My Dixon ZTR lawnmower has the main traction v-belt failing and needs
replacing. Looks like a real dog of a job, I obviously have to remove 3
other v-belts and a countershaft, plus other stuff I don't know about
yet. Looks like they dropped the belt on the assembly line and built
the lawnmower around it. Seems like a good place to use a segmented
belt, BUT there is an idler pully that bears on the outside of the belt.
Will this cause any trouble?

I wouldn't use a segmented belt if an idler pulley bears on the back of
it. I think the uneveness could cause problems. You might just get away
with it if the idler pulley is of a large diameter, but I still think
that it isn't a great idea.

At least the belt only goes one way, and the belt stops and tension is
removed when the brake is set, but the belt does twist from horizontal
to vertical pulleys.

That sounds like a really complicated drive. Do you have any pictures?
It might be that there is a straightforward (but not obvious) way of
replacing the belt. But then again it might be every bit as hard as it
looks!

Chris

Leo Lichtman

"Nick Hull" wrote: (clip)BUT there is an idler pully that bears on the
outside of the belt. Will this cause any trouble?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
There is a possibility that the segmented belt will not like the reverse
bend that the idler pulley produces. But what is the risk? A broken belt?
If a link on the segmented belt lets go, you can replace it and still use
the belt. THEN you will have to go through all the work you were hoping to
avoid. Or, if it lasts quite a while before breaking, you could keep
fixing it, and avoid the hard work indefinitely.

DeepDiver

"Nick Hull" wrote in message
My Dixon ZTR lawnmower has the main traction v-belt failing and needs
replacing. Looks like a real dog of a job, I obviously have to remove 3
other v-belts and a countershaft, plus other stuff I don't know about
yet. Looks like they dropped the belt on the assembly line and built
the lawnmower around it. Seems like a good place to use a segmented
belt, BUT there is an idler pully that bears on the outside of the belt.
Will this cause any trouble?

When you say the idler pulley bears on the outside, I assume you mean the
outer face of the belt, correct? I see no problem with this, as the locking
tabs of a PowerTwist belt run on the inside: the outer face of PowerTwist
belts are relatively flat.

But to be sure, you should check with the manufacturer, Fenner Drives:
1-800-243-3374

At least the belt only goes one way, and the belt stops and tension is
removed when the brake is set, but the belt does twist from horizontal
to vertical pulleys.

This, to me, is a much greater concern than the idler pulley issue. I don't
know if the PowerTwist belts would like a 90 deg twist in travel. Again, you
should ask Fenner.

- Michael

Christopher Tidy

DeepDiver wrote:
"Nick Hull" wrote in message

My Dixon ZTR lawnmower has the main traction v-belt failing and needs
replacing. Looks like a real dog of a job, I obviously have to remove 3
other v-belts and a countershaft, plus other stuff I don't know about
yet. Looks like they dropped the belt on the assembly line and built
the lawnmower around it. Seems like a good place to use a segmented
belt, BUT there is an idler pully that bears on the outside of the belt.
Will this cause any trouble?

When you say the idler pulley bears on the outside, I assume you mean the
outer face of the belt, correct? I see no problem with this, as the locking
tabs of a PowerTwist belt run on the inside: the outer face of PowerTwist
belts are relatively flat.

Maybe your segmented belts are different from the ones I can buy in
England. The ones I can buy are pretty uneven on the outer surface,
despite the fact that the locking tabs run on the inside. I can't find a
manufacturer's name in the catalogue, but they aren't cheap. £100 ish
for a 5 m reel, and they don't sell short lengths. If you can find
someone who'll sell you a short length of segmented belt, by all means
try it, but personally I wouldn't risk buying a whole reel.

Chris

Nick Hull

In article ,
Christopher Tidy wrote:

DeepDiver wrote:
"Nick Hull" wrote in message

[...]

I have no trouble buying short lengths of belt locally.

Yes I mean the idler bears on the outter face of the belt. I'll
probably buy a segment when the stores open and try it, I have little to
lose at this point.

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/
Steve W.

Won't work because of the twist in the belt. The segments are not meant
to twist during use. Also the idler will bounce a lot and cause the belt
to slip bad because of the segmented back.
The Dixon isn't that bad to change the belts on once you have it apart.
Change ALL the belts when you have it apart.
--
Steve

"Nick Hull" wrote in message
In article ,
Christopher Tidy wrote:

DeepDiver wrote:
"Nick Hull" wrote in message

[...]

Nick Hull

In article ,
"Steve W." wrote:

Won't work because of the twist in the belt. The segments are not meant
to twist during use.

Then why do they call it powertwist?

Also the idler will bounce a lot and cause the belt
to slip bad because of the segmented back.

How does the idler bounce when it is fixed, not sprung?

The Dixon isn't that bad to change the belts on once you have it apart.
Change ALL the belts when you have it apart.

I can see changing all belts if I have it that far apart, but where do I
get a service manual for the Dixon? All I can find on their web site is
an owner's manual, that doesn't even tell how to tension the belts much
less replace them.

--
Steve

"Nick Hull" wrote in message
In article ,
Christopher Tidy wrote:

DeepDiver wrote:
"Nick Hull" wrote in message

[...]

Steve W.

"Nick Hull" wrote in message
In article ,
"Steve W." wrote:

Won't work because of the twist in the belt. The segments are not

meant
to twist during use.

Then why do they call it powertwist?

Because that is how you assemble the belt segments. They interlock by
twisting one segment into another.
If your Dixon is one that uses the twisted belt in the drive a segmented
belt will fail very shortly, they are OK when used flat and with the
pulleys providing the tension but with any twisting or idler they don't
usually work very well. Just the way they are made.

Also the idler will bounce a lot and cause the belt
to slip bad because of the segmented back.

How does the idler bounce when it is fixed, not sprung?

Fixed or sprung the belt will still bounce because of the rear surface
of the belt not being flat.

The Dixon isn't that bad to change the belts on once you have it

apart.
Change ALL the belts when you have it apart.

I can see changing all belts if I have it that far apart, but where do

get a service manual for the Dixon? All I can find on their web site

is
an owner's manual, that doesn't even tell how to tension the belts

much
less replace them.

What model is it?

http://www.themotorbookstore.com/ridlawmowser.html

http://dixonparts.com/index.html

May have a book here on it as well. At least they don't have the drive
system of a Struck mini dozer...

--
Steve

"Nick Hull" wrote in message
In article ,
Christopher Tidy wrote:

DeepDiver wrote:
"Nick Hull" wrote in message

[...]

Nick Hull

In article ,
"Steve W." wrote:

"Nick Hull" wrote in message
In article ,
"Steve W." wrote:

Won't work because of the twist in the belt. The segments are not

meant
to twist during use.

Then why do they call it powertwist?

Because that is how you assemble the belt segments. They interlock by
twisting one segment into another.
If your Dixon is one that uses the twisted belt in the drive a segmented
belt will fail very shortly, they are OK when used flat and with the
pulleys providing the tension but with any twisting or idler they don't
usually work very well. Just the way they are made.\

Have you actually tried it? The twist is fairly slow, it takes about 2
feet to wrist 90 deg. How fast a failure is 'very shortly', I would be
happy if it would last the rest of this year.

Also the idler will bounce a lot and cause the belt
to slip bad because of the segmented back.

How does the idler bounce when it is fixed, not sprung?

Fixed or sprung the belt will still bounce because of the rear surface
of the belt not being flat.

The Dixon isn't that bad to change the belts on once you have it

apart.
Change ALL the belts when you have it apart.

I can see changing all belts if I have it that far apart, but where do

get a service manual for the Dixon? All I can find on their web site

is
an owner's manual, that doesn't even tell how to tension the belts

much
less replace them.

What model is it?

Dixon 542. The book listings below do not mention that model

http://www.themotorbookstore.com/ridlawmowser.html

http://dixonparts.com/index.html

May have a book here on it as well. At least they don't have the drive
system of a Struck mini dozer...

I would love to get a repair manual that covers the Dixon 542.
Currently my e-mail is screwed up by Earthlink 'improvements' but you
can contact me at . I'd appreciate any help.

--
Steve

"Nick Hull" wrote in message
In article ,
Christopher Tidy wrote:

DeepDiver wrote:
"Nick Hull" wrote in message

[...]

http://www.struckcorp.com/support.html
and scroll down... the parts lists show the belt
arangements fairly well. :^)

--Glenn Lyford

Steve W.

wrote in message
oups.com...
May have a book here on it as well. At least they don't have the

drive
system of a Struck mini dozer...

http://www.struckcorp.com/support.html
and scroll down... the parts lists show the belt
arangements fairly well. :^)

--Glenn Lyford

Yep I know them all too well.......